Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS coin restoration service. Walking Liberty half

Ron1968Ron1968 Posts: 45 ✭✭
edited January 20, 2021 11:31AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hello to anyone who may know. Will putting a PCGS graded coin through the PCGS coin restoration process improve the grade of your coin? I recently had a metal detector find graded and it came back an AU55. I am very pleased with that but I am also curious about whether or not the restoration process offered by PCGS would improve the grade. If it will and my coin even went up 1 or 2 grades it would increase the value substantially. Any thought and opinions would be appreciated! Ron

Comments

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    The grade should not change. You coin looks great just as it is. Be happy with it and save your money.

ditto

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    The grade should not change. You coin looks great just as it is. Be happy with it and save your money.

This is very good advice. Your coin does have wear, so not much chance of improvement with preservation.
    Great find.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

Thank you. I am very happy with it. Was just curious. Thanks for the advice all. I’ll save my money and my coin. I found it in the dirt and have grown fond of it. Thank you

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ron1968 .... I agree with the above.... Leave it as is.... A truly great MD find and a good AU grade...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

The grade shouldn’t change... However, remember that eye appeal can be part of the grade evaluation. In some situations improving the eye appeal may lead to a higher grade. This is the era of market grading so if a coin’s value is improved by conservation it might be reflected in a + change or a grade bump.

That said, I would never expect a big jump in any case.

• Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

I was excited a couple of days ago when I pulled a nice 1936 Lincoln cent out of the coinstar slot at Walmart.

CONGRATULATIONS! A 1920-D half dollar grading AU55 found with a metal detector? I had no idea that was possible. Keep up whatever you're doing.......

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 1921 Peace dollar improved from MS62 to MS63. Eye appeal must have been a factor in that as its appearance improved dramatically after conservation. I've only ever submitted two items for conservation-the aforementioned Peace dollar and a bronze MacNeil Pan-American medal. In both cases there was a huge improvement.

• Options

@bigole said:
    I was excited a couple of days ago when I pulled a nice 1936 Lincoln cent out of the coinstar slot at Walmart.

CONGRATULATIONS! A 1920-D half dollar grading AU55 found with a metal detector? I had no idea that was possible. Keep up whatever you're doing.......

Bigole, I didn’t know it was possible either!! lol. As an aside I found another 1918 S Walker on my property about 100 feet from where I found the 1920. >. @koynekwest said:

My 1921 Peace dollar improved from MS62 to MS63. Eye appeal must have been a factor in that as its appearance improved dramatically after conservation. I've only ever submitted two items for conservation-the aforementioned Peace dollar and a bronze MacNeil Pan-American medal. In both cases there was a huge improvement.

Koynekwest, that is great! The possibility of a jump in grade with restoration is what interested me. MS62 to MS63 is a nice bump!

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just something else to add...
    An AU coin is a circulated coin. It has some wear to it. There is material missing from the coin that was originally there when it was minted.
    Restoring any circulated coin will not magically added the material back and make it an uncirculated coin.

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    "I found another 1918 S Walker on my property about 100 feet from where I found the 1920."

Mind posting your address so I know where to dig at night? :p

You are welcome to give it a go. I’ve been over it many times!

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ron1968 said:

Since you are being soo nice about it do you mind if I knock on your door at 2:00 am to borrow your metal detector & a shovel? :*

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2021 2:10PM

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

Thanks MS70!> @ifthevamzarockin said:

@Ron1968 said:

Since you are being soo nice about it do you mind if I knock on your door at 2:00 am to borrow your metal detector & a shovel? :

Wait till 430AM. I don’t get up till 400AM

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

While restoration could (could, not will!) improve the grade, it would likely be because dull surfaces become more vibrant or particularly poor eye appeal is improved. I say that as a very generic statement. With respect to your coin, it's wholesome as-is, and would likely look worse if stripped of its toning, especially if there isn't much underlying lustre to be revealed. Additionally, it's AU because it has wear. The only place it could go is a 58. It's not as though it's an ugly uncirculated coin where it could jump many grades (and again, that wouldn't be likely for nearly any candidate coin--I say that just as a hypothetical that once the coin is uncirculated, there's a lot more room to go up in theory because there are more grades).

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2021 2:20PM

Awesome find! I agree I think she's graded properly. Curious where you dug such a nice coin up? How far down dig you need to dig?

• Options

@coinJP said:
    Awesome find! I agree I think she's graded properly. Curious where you dug such a nice coin up? How far down dig you need to dig?

This coin was not deep and was on my own property with a 1908 Barber and a 1918 nickel. Two or three inches. I have dug other Barber dimes on my property that were 5 to 6 inches deep

• Options
    edited January 20, 2021 2:31PM

Posted before but here again to make the OP aware.... My results on an AU50 coin. It's more blast white than the pic shows. Does that look right for an AU50? I was only looking to get rid of that liquid stain on the cap and down Liberty's arm. If I knew this is what would happen I wouldn't have done it. A phone call warning me that they couldn't do it without blasting the entire coin would've been nice.

• Options

There was also a 1920 penny dug with these coins.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

The missing element for a higher grade is luster. The century in the ground has stripped some luster away. Restoration service will make it look like a dull, lifeless coin.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

My own place has been good detecting!

I don’t think it had seen a detector until I searched it

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was there a store on your property before?

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

@clarkbar04 said:
    The missing element for a higher grade is luster. The century in the ground has stripped some luster away. Restoration service will make it look like a dull, lifeless coin.

Thanks clarkbar04. I’m going to keep it as is. AU55 is a good grade for something that probably sat in the ground for 100 years. The graders know their business and in happy to have it!!

• Options

Thanks for looking and for your advice TomB! I am going to keep my encapsulated AU55 at home.

Clarkbar, no store here. A family that were storekeepers in the county I live in lived here from the early 1900’s to the early 90’s. My father in law bought the place and my wife and I bought it from him. There is also an old railroad depot maybe 75 yards away from my house that was here before the house. My house is over 100 years old. I don’t think this property ever saw a metal detector before I bought my Minelab Equinox. I have beat the hell out of most of the property with my metal detector now. There are a couple spots I still need to go over but some things need to be moved for that to happen first. Thanks again for looking!

• Options
    edited January 20, 2021 5:26PM

@TomB said:
    As for your coin, there is nothing but pain, regret and out-of-pocket expense ahead of you if you decide to send it in for "restoration". I put "restoration" in quotes because PCGS will not restore it at all, they will simply strip away some of the most outer layer of the surface to reveal underlying metal. An AU coin is an AU coin for a reason and that reason is detectable wear. The coin might bump in grade from a wholesome AU55 to a dipped AU55+ or AU58, but it isn't going into the MS grades. Additionally, the eye appeal will likely take a big hit to most collectors and this can make the coin less liquid in the future.

Absolutely true. I'll bet if I cracked out my half dime and sent it in raw they'd bodybag it.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

What @291fifth said.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ron1968 - I’ve used PCGS Restoration several times.
    1. PCGS guarantees they will not lower the grade: “Submitting a coin for PCGS Restoration in no way guarantees the upgrade of your coin. If the coin is already in a PCGS holder, it is guaranteed not to downgrade, nothing more. Through our restoration service, PCGS is committed to preserving and restoring coins to their original and natural condition.”
    2. I have a $20 1904 Liberty that is one of the very few coins I purchased on eBay. It was graded MS64+ by PCGS and had a CAC. It now grades MS65+, and CAC chose to sticker it again.
    3. Ignoring shipping charges, PCGS Restoration will only charge $10 to examine your PCGS graded coin. If they decide they will not restore it, that’s a small cost. If they do restore it, they charge 3% of the value in its final grade($10 minimum). Not bad!
    4. Keep in mind if it is restored, you absolutely cannot retain the same cert number.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

Thank you Steve. Sounds safe but I think I’ll keep it as it is. I am definitely not a coin grader or even a collector other than the older American coins I have pulled out of the ground. I truly appreciate everyone’s input on this coin. This is a great forum with a lot of helpful people. Thanks again!!!

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven while you had success with your coin, have you seen the OP’s coin pic and are you recommending restoration? I think that would be a big mistake.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

I wasn’t commenting on this specific coin, but was providing generic information, since I believe some forum members might not be too familiar with this service, or have misinformation.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2021 7:36AM

I'm going out on limb here, disagreeing with many above:

The PCGS Price Guide is showing $1950 in AU-55 and $2850 in AU-58.

As such, $58.50 is the Restoration fee if staying at AU55, $85.50 IF upgraded to AU58, and $10 if not accepted for restoration. While I'm in the minority, if it were MY coin, I'd send it in. I fully agree the chance of an upgrade is very minor, but I have confidence in the people at PCGS Restoration that if indeed the coin is restored, the eye appeal would be enhanced, which would be terrific for a coin at this AU55 price point! As noted above, if restored, the grade cannot be reduced.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

is your coin a major mpd?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    edited January 23, 2021 6:29PM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@ms70 said:

is your coin a major mpd?

Yup. And also the finest graded and not cheap. Not easy to find. It looks ridiculous and I'm really furious over it. If they knew that's how it would turn out they should've let me know in advance and I would've passed. I figured it would just be a non-intrusive removal of that stain. It's completely stripped of all originality and looks like it was bathed in battery acid. I really wonder what they'd do if I cracked it out and sent it in raw.

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    Posted before but here again to make the OP aware.... My results on an AU50 coin. It's more blast white than the pic shows. Does that look right for an AU50? I was only looking to get rid of that liquid stain on the cap and down Liberty's arm. If I knew this is what would happen I wouldn't have done it. A phone call warning me that they couldn't do it without blasting the entire coin would've been nice.

I am guessing that they thought they could. Once they started they found out they couldn't and it was too late. The final result was the best they could come up with. Purely speculation on my part. This is why I do not play with conserving coins. If the professionals can fail like this how would I do?

• Options

@ironmanl63 said:

@ms70 said:

I am guessing that they thought they could. Once they started they found out they couldn't and it was too late. The final result was the best they could come up with. Purely speculation on my part. This is why I do not play with conserving coins. If the professionals can fail like this how would I do?

Yup. Never again.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

not that it matters now but it would have been difficult to have reduced the darker areas of staining/toning w/o disrupting the original skin in places it should be left alone. stripping it may not have been the end of the world as there are avenues to take to get it naturally retoned. several ideas come to mind and here are only a few.

there are at least a couple/few routes to take. it looks like a nice coin, not much fear of details if resubmitted, even if it takes a couple tries.

try cac

or

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2021 9:50PM

This coin will not benefit from conservation. In all likelihood; it will be made worse. I would leave it, as it is. It looks fine to me, anyway. I much prefer an original look.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file