Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I just noticed another negative of ebay managed payments.

amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

While going over the terms and conditions something jumped out at me. With ebay and Paypal you only pay Paypal fees on tax ebay collects. With managed payments you pay the entire ebay fee on the tax collected since the payment processing and FVF are grouped together. The additional costs could add up rather quickly, especially to areas that have a 10% tax.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2021 7:56AM

So you're saying that instead of the 2.9% fee I'm paying on taxes collected by PP, I will pay the item category fee (up to 12.35%, ebay's new highest FVF) on taxes collected by Ebay? If this is correct, I wonder if a top rated seller who gets a FVF discount will see that discount also applied to the tax collected by Ebay.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

Good catch. From ebay website:

Final value fees
    "We charge one final value fee when your item sells, and you don't have to worry about third-party payment processing fees. This fee is calculated as a percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus $0.30 per order.

The total amount of the sale is the entire amount the buyer pays, including any handling charges, the shipping service the buyer selects, sales tax, and any other applicable fees."

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

First of all> @amwldcoin said:

While going over the terms and conditions something jumped out at me. With ebay and Paypal you only pay Paypal fees on tax ebay collects. With managed payments you pay the entire ebay fee on the tax collected since the payment processing and FVF are grouped together. The additional costs could add up rather quickly, especially to areas that have a 10% tax.

This is true, but I don't know about adding up quickly. You're talking about 1% in a 10% tax state.

• Options

Message to my ebay account manager:

"If I sell an item that has a 12% FVF that involves a 10% state tax, I am going to pay a fee of 12% on the state tax amount collected from the seller by ebay where I am currently only paying 2.9% on the taxes collected by paypal.

I sell high dollar items in the $2000 range. If my buyer of a $2000 item lives in a state that charges a 10% sales tax, I am going to pay a 12% FVF on the $200 tax which adds $24 to my FVF. Paypal is only charging me $5.80 fee on the $200 tax collected.

So in reality ebay's managed payment fees ARE NOT comparable to those of Paypal as promoted by ebay. Charging me a $24 fee for taxes ebay collects on behalf of a state in grossly unfair. I will be ending my presence on ebay unless ebay can rectify this unfair practice."

• Options

You can pick out all the negatives or pick out all the positives, but you really have to look at all of them.

The overall rate is 0.55% lower in virtually all categories. [Positive]

The sales tax is included in that. [Negative]

If the coin rate remains the same (6.15%) then even a 10% sales tax state is pretty much a push. The 0.615% added cost is offset by the 0.55% lower rate.

On a $100 item (shipping included) with 10% sales tax, the current total fees in coins [store but no top seller discount] is:

eBay - $6.15
    PayPal - $3.49 (2.9% + 0.30 on the $110 total)
    Total fees - $9.64

Using managed payments and assuming they translate the fees the same way they did in all other categories (FVF + 2.35% +$0.30 per transaction), the managed payment fee on the $110 will be 8.5% + $0.30:

eBay fees on $110 = $9.65

No change

And so, if the sales tax is less than 10% you win.

You also score a HUGE WIN if the coin is higher priced because they have heavily discounted the managed payment fees above certain thresholds. For example, jewelry above $2500 has a total managed payment fee of only 2.35% above $2500.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

Final value fees
    "We charge one final value fee when your item sells, and you don't have to worry about third-party payment processing fees. This fee is calculated as a percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus $0.30 per order.

The total amount of the sale is the entire amount the buyer pays, including any handling charges, the shipping service the buyer selects, sales tax, and any other applicable fees."

What’s the big deal ? It says you don’t have to worry.

• Options

@JimTyler said:

@derryb said:

Final value fees

What’s the big deal ? It says you don’t have to worry.

Correct, I no longer have to worry about "third party processing fees." Now I only have to worry about ebay's higher processing fees.

• Options

@derryb said:
    Message to my ebay account manager:

"If I sell an item that has a 12% FVF that involves a 10% state tax, I am going to pay a fee of 12% on the state tax amount collected from the seller by ebay where I am currently only paying 2.9% on the taxes collected by paypal.

I sell high dollar items in the $2000 range. If my buyer of a $2000 item lives in a state that charges a 10% sales tax, I am going to pay a 12% FVF on the $200 tax which adds $24 to my FVF. Paypal is only charging me $5.80 fee on the $200 tax collected.

So in reality ebay's managed payment fees ARE NOT comparable to those of Paypal as promoted by ebay. Charging me a $24 fee for taxes ebay collects on behalf of a state in grossly unfair. I will be ending my presence on ebay unless ebay can rectify this unfair practice."

You are overlooking the fact that the overall rate is 0.55% lower - see my math for the $100 coin. On your $2000 item, the overall rate is 0.55% lower than the current PayPal + eBay fees which saves you $12 there.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way too much math for me. I swore to quit thinking when I retired.

• Options

On a $2000 item with a current 10% eBay rate and 10% sales tax:

eBay fees - $200
    PayPal fees - $64.10
    Total $264.10

Managed payments rate of 12.35%
    Total fees on $2200 - $$271.70

Net difference $7.60

ON the other hand, if the sales tax is only 7%

eBay fees $200
    PayPal fees $62.36
    Total $262.36

Total fees $264.29

Net difference $1.93

$7.60 on a $2000 item is 0.4%

And if there is no sales tax in the state:

eBay fees $200
    PayPal fees $58.30
    Total $258.30

Managed payments fee - $247

Net difference NEGATIVE $11.30

• Options

@JimTyler said:

LOL. Well, if you don't want to think or do math it doesn't matter what the fees are. ;)

• Options
    edited January 20, 2021 9:27AM

@jmlanzaf said:

If the coin rate remains the same (6.15%) then even a 10% sales tax state is pretty much a push. The 0.615% added cost is offset by the 0.55% lower rate.

6.15% FVF applies currently only to basic (or higher level) stores. Everyone else pays the current 10%.
    Under managed payments, coin category fee is 12.35% for a non-store and 11.5% for a basic or higher level store. If you remove the current 2.9% paypal fee (included in managed payments) you have base FVFs of 9.45% and 8.6%. Ebay is effectively raising their FVF by more than the 2.9% processing fee they are taking over.

On a $100 item (shipping included) with 10% sales tax, the current total fees in coins [store but no top seller discount] is:

eBay - $6.15
    PayPal - $3.49 (2.9% + 0.30 on the $110 total)
    Total fees - $9.64

Using managed payments and assuming they translate the fees the same way they did in all other categories (FVF + 2.35% +$0.30 per transaction), the managed payment fee on the $110 will be 8.5% + $0.30:

eBay fees on $110 = $9.65

No change

And so, if the sales tax is less than 10% you win.

You also score a HUGE WIN if the coin is higher priced because they have heavily discounted the managed payment fees above certain thresholds. For example, jewelry above $2500 has a total managed payment fee of only 2.35% above $2500.

@jmlanzaf said:
    On a $2000 item with a current 10% eBay rate and 10% sales tax:

eBay fees - $200
    PayPal fees - $64.10
    Total $264.10

Total fees on $2200 - $$271.70

Net difference $7.60

ON the other hand, if the sales tax is only 7%

eBay fees $200
    PayPal fees $62.36
    Total $262.36

Total fees $264.29

Net difference $1.93

$7.60 on a $2000 item is 0.4%

And if there is no sales tax in the state:

eBay fees $200
    PayPal fees $58.30
    Total $258.30

Managed payments fee - $247

Net difference NEGATIVE $11.30

So, Managed Payment is better only if there are no state sales taxes. Do you know how many states have a 0% sales tax? lol

• Options

@derryb
    So, Managed Payment is better only if there are no state sales taxes. Do you know how many states have a 0% sales tax? lol

That's not exactly true. It depends on your rate. For the store rate of 6.15%, you win at almost any sales tax value. The tipping point using you 10% FVF is around 5% sales tax

And there are far more states that have a 0% sales tax on coins than have a 10% tax rate.

As for store vs. no-store. Your example alone shows the merit of having a store even if you are only selling one $2000 coin per month (your example)

$2000 coin + 10% tax - no store:
    $264.10 total fees

eBay fees - $200
    PayPal fees - $64.10
    Total $264.10

$2000 coin - with a store.
    eBay fees - $123
    PayPal fees - $64.10
    Store fee - $27.95
    Total fees $215.05

• Options
    edited January 20, 2021 9:09AM

@jmlanzaf said:
    You can pick out all the negatives or pick out all the positives, but you really have to look at all of them.

You forgot these:

• New $20 dispute fee if seller is found responsible.
    • 1.65% additional FVF for US sellers who ship to a buyer with a registered address outside of the US even if the item is shipped to a US address. (a new reason not to ship outside of the US)
    • Additional 5% FVF if seller falls below minimum ebay standards (retroactive to sales made before being notified of change in status?).
    • Basic store currently enjoys a net 3.85% FVF advantage over a non-store (10%-6.15%). Under Managed Payments a basic store will see a net .85% FVF advantage over a non-store (12.35%-11.5%).
    • Are we sure the current 10% discount on the FVF dollar amount for top rated sellers will remain with Managed Payments?

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2021 9:11AM

The store fee is a fixed cost not a variable cost like the other eBay fees. My business has other fixed costs as well to be recovered in the markup equation - bank fees, subscriptions, supplies, publications, travel, lodging, meals. In addition for online there is shipping cost.

Consequently the markup equation needs to include all the above cost elements both variable and fixed plus the minimal commission. Say all this equates to 33pct margin on sales. This wb a markup factor of 1.50. Of course items one can sell at keystone markup 100 pct will help float the business for items sold less than plan markup.

At shows you have a table fee and show expenses like travel, meals, and lodging. A fixed cost hole to get out of. Buying below bid is critical if sales are weak as this can deflect some of this cost impact and lessen negative show performance.

The fixed cost pct allocated to the markup equation could be based on average inventory or a transaction fee added to each sale based on plan sales volume. There are many avenues.

Many are ignorant of what it takes to make it in the coin business, don’t grasp the math, or have their own goals to rip it from you. Don’t let them bug you. When their BS starts it’s time send them away.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2021 9:06AM

Am I correct to say that there is a FVF or MP fee that covers sales tax, too?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:

Under managed payment the discounted coin rate for a basic store is a FVF of 11.5% to include payment processing.

Under the current system the discounted coin rate for a basic store is 6.15% with another 2.9% going to paypal to process the transaction.

My total current cost (percentage) is 6.15% + 2.9%, or 9.05%. That is 2.45% cheaper than the basic store FVF of 11.5% under managed payments. I may not be a rocket scientist, but I do have a space age calculator that can add and subtract.

• Options

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

You forgot these:

• 1.65% additional FVF for US sellers who ship to a buyer with a registered address outside of the US even if the item is shipped to a US address. (a new reason not to ship outside of the US)
    • Additional 5% FVF if seller falls below minimum ebay standards.
    • Basic store currently enjoys a net 3.85% FVF advantage over a non-store (10%-6.15%). Under Managed Payments a basic store will see a net .85% FVF advantage over a non-store (12.35%-11.5%).
    • Are we sure the current 10% discount on the FVF dollar amount for top rated sellers will remain with Managed Payments?

Your 3rd point is factually incorrect as it is comparing apples to oranges. You are comparing the coin rate to the general rate. The current store advantage in non-coin categories is also 0.85% (10% vs 9.15%).

The rate migration in all posted categories is 0.55% lower for store or non-store rates in all cases. So the store vs. non-store gap remains the same in all currently posted categories.

As for your 4th point, we have not figured in the Top Rated seller discount in any of these calculations so I'm not sure why you raise it here. But, the answer is "yes"

Top Rated Plus benefits and requirements
    As a Top Rated Seller, you can qualify for these exclusive Top Rated Plus benefits if you offer same or 1-business-day handling time and 30-day or longer free returns:

The Top Rated Plus seal will be displayed prominently in search results and in the listing description.
    A 10% discount on your standard final value fees:
    For managed payments sellers, the discount is applied to the final value fee which is calculated on the total amount of the sale, including shipping and tax. The discount does not apply to the $0.30 per order portion of the final value fee
    For non-managed payments sellers, the discount is applied to the portion of the final value fee calculated on the item price only, not including shipping costs or tax

(reference https://ebay.com/help/selling/selling/seller-levels-performance-standards?id=4080&st=3&pos=2&query=Seller%20levels%20and%20performance%20standards&intent=top%20rated%20seller&context=9056_SELLER&lucenceai=lucenceai

• Options
    edited January 20, 2021 9:11AM

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Under managed payment the discounted coin rate for a basic store is a FVF of 11.5% to include payment processing.

Under the current system the discounted coin rate for a basic store is 6.15% with another 2.9% going to paypal to process the transaction.

My total current cost (percentage) is 6.15% + 2.9%, or 9.05%. That is 2.45% cheaper than the basic store FVF of 11.5% under managed payments. I may not be a rocket scientist, but I do have a space age calculator that can add and subtract.

THEY HAVE NOT POSTED THE COIN CATEGORY RATE FOR MANAGED PAYMENTS.

Edited to add: I did talk to CS and they say that the rate is forthcoming but the CS rep did not know what the number was.

• Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    The store fee is a fixed cost not a variable cost like the other eBay fees.

I have not used this additional cost in my comparisons. An ebay seller must weigh his individuals numbers to determine if the cost of a store will actually save him dollars.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I sell an item for $2000 and ebay collects $200 in sales tax in a state that doesn't charge sales tax I pay fees on $200 that should have never been collected in the first place. If the buyer is aware and requests the money back that was illegally collected do you think ebay is going to do the right thing and refund me as a seller. If the buyer doesn't request the refund there is zero chance of me being refunded for the fees on taxes illegally collected.

I recently sold a coin for $500 to a customer in a state that doesn't charge sales tax, there was $30.50 collected buy ebay. Not only was the buyer charged $30.50 they shouldn't have but I was charged fees on it. The buyer is a very active buyer of coins so I sent them a message informing them of the tax collected. The buyer said they were unaware of the problem and ebay owes them thousands in taxes collected.

It's all a money grab by ebay and they don't care about the buyer or seller. :/

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Edited to add: I did talk to CS and they say that the rate is forthcoming but the CS rep did not know what the number was.

UNTIL THEY POST COIN CATEGORY OR ALIEN ARTIFACT RATES THE RATE IS:

Edited to add:
    Hopefully the rate will be much lower. However, check this out.

• Options

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

UNTIL THEY POST COIN CATEGORY OR ALIEN ARTIFACT RATES THE RATE IS:

Edited to add:
    Hopefully the rate will be much lower. However, check this out.

That is neither new nor a surprise. Managed payments do not yet allow for coins which is why they haven't posted a rate for a non-existent transaction category.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt they'll raise the rate on coins unless they want to cut their own throats.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    Am I correct to say that there is a FVF or MP fee that covers sales tax, too?

State sales tax and shipping will be included in the amount that gets hit with the FVF.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

That is neither new nor a surprise. Managed payments do not yet allow for coins which is why they haven't posted a rate for a non-existent transaction category.

And alien artifacts? Maybe you should tell them they are running way behind. Everyone has to be under the new MP system by end of Feb.

• Options

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

And alien artifacts? Maybe you should tell them they are running way behind. Everyone has to be under the new MP system by end of Feb.

The date I was given was January 25th for the launch of coins in MP.

@errorsoncoins was told he had till July to switch

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

In one section of "My eBay", it says:

You need to update your account details on file – this is required to set you up for managed payments.

In another section, it says:

You’ve successfully registered for managed payments.

I'm sure everything is right on schedule. ;)

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

my ebay email says Feb. 28.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

You forgot these:

It's not 100% clear, but as I read it, this fee is for a dispute which the seller loses when the dispute is filed with the payment company (chargeback, etc.), not just a case on eBay. If my reading is correct, then it's no different than PayPal. I don't remember how much they charge, but it's $15-25 for a lost chargeback case, I think. https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/handling-payment-disputes?id=4799

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2021 1:21PM

@airplanenut said:

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

You forgot these:

It's not 100% clear, but as I read it, this fee is for a dispute which the seller loses when the dispute is filed with the payment company (chargeback, etc.), not just a case on eBay. If my reading is correct, then it's no different than PayPal. I don't remember how much they charge, but it's $15-25 for a lost chargeback case, I think. https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/handling-payment-disputes?id=4799

According to the PayPal user agreement, PayPal charges $10 if in the US

And, for what it is worth, I have never confronted this situation in over 70,000 eBay transactions.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@airplanenut said:

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

You forgot these:

And, for what it is worth, I have never confronted this situation in over 70,000 eBay transactions.

Then surprisingly it's gone down. I think I got hit with it once or twice. Knock on wood I haven't dealt with a chargeback in a long time.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2021 3:17PM

@airplanenut said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@airplanenut said:

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

You forgot these:

Then surprisingly it's gone down. I think I got hit with it once or twice. Knock on wood I haven't dealt with a chargeback in a long time.

Well, this says $20

https://www.paypal.com/us/brc/article/what-is-a-chargeback

I think I might have had an older version of the table.

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

🤔🤔🤔🤔 I am so confused! You guys are killing me! My head is spinning trying to follow you two.

I learned a long time ago that you have to calculate Ebay and PayPal fees to determine your costs of selling on Ebay. The easiest way to do that is sell a few things and track the costs.

Bottom line, I think Ebay is trying to copy Amazon's fee and payment structure and they don't care if a current seller is making less money with these changes.

The real question for us is where else are you going to list your items and generate the same amount of sales dollars and profits other than Ebay?

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. I was already not happy when eBay started collecting sales tax on my behalf and had to pay PayPal for money that doesn't spend a second in y account. Ugh. :s

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

@JimTyler said:

Hey! I found this calculator that will do it both ways:

https://www.ebayfeescalculator.com/usa-ebay-calculator/

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2021 7:17AM

eBay has been a good platform for me sell smaller ticket high markup material. Shows use to buy and sell from wholesaler plus move my bigger ticket somewhat lower markup material say in the $500 -$3000 range where all I am fighting is $150-$200 table fee.

Sort of like a balanced offense.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file