Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

3 Lincolns - Error or PMD?

These coins were collected by my father from his coin dealings. He is still a very active coin nerd which is a lot of fun for me. The problem is neither of us are error/pmd people. Any information or thoughts would be more than welcomed. The photos are of my normal quality (fair at best) but should serve the purpose of discussion. The obverse was shot, then the coin(s) were flipped top to bottom to exhibit the reverse in normal coin alignment. This is important because the double sided memorial coin has a medal alignment.

What I suspect:
-1953-D is some sort of PMD. I'm just not sure what.
-Double memorial coin. I imagine that a coin got hung up on the obverse die. Then, this coin slid in and received a normal strike from the free reverse die while the coin stuck to the obverse die struck the obverse with its reverse (making it mushy and incuse).
-1921 Lamination / planchet error.

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

1953 PMD

No Date Nice Brockage error

1921 PMD

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check

Check

Check

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

1953 D - could probably recreate that with a wire brush.

1921 - coin was put obverse side down on a surface that had some incuse elements/design and whacked on the reverse.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

1953 PMD

No Date Nice Brockage error

1921 PMD

Agreed. I do think the 1921 is interesting though.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with EOC and Fred.....Great pictures though... allows for detailed analysis. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file