Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Newbie looking for some advice...

Hello I've recently inherited a card collection with a few valuable cards that are ungraded. Do you recommend getting them graded and if so are there any options to get them graded in person or how do you determine the value when shipping them off? Thank you for any info you can provide!

Comments

• Options
    scooter25scooter25 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭

I don’t collect cards, I collect coins. However, I know that when I was starting out I would definitely not send in anything until I figured out what I was looking for. What’s worth sending in and what’s not, what’s worth the money, etc....... stay in these forums and ask a lot of questions. Everyone here is super nice and knowledgeable!!

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Post some good images of the valuable cards and you'll get honest responses

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2021 5:53PM

From the PSA FAQ page...

Q: How much do I pay, and what is a Declared Value?

A: Once you are prepared to fill out a submission form, you will need to select a Service Level, which is determined by your Declared Value. The Declared Value is your estimate of the value of the item after it has been assigned a grade by PSA. We understand you will not know the true value of the item until it has been graded, so we ask that you form a realistic, educated estimate based on your own research, keeping in mind that the Declared Value acts as a maximum value for shipping insurance purposes and in the event of a claim related to the item.

To determine your value, we recommend you start by referencing PSA’s Photograde Online to obtain a general, visual illustration of each card grade; this may help you gauge the quality of your card. Based on this assessment, we then advise you to reference various pricing sources to determine the estimated value of your item. We also recommend you refer to a wide variety of trade publications, auction prices realized and/or even contact a dealer in your area (Dealer Directory) for additional assistance.

It is important that you spend the time, utilize the available resources, and take the necessary steps to accurately estimate the Declared Value. The Declared Value you provide establishes:

the maximum item value in the event of a claim connected with that item while at PSA,
    the maximum item value for shipping insurance purposes, and
    the appropriate Service Level and Service Level price.
    Once you arrive at a Declared Value, please refer to the submission form or Pricing for PSA Services to determine the Service Level for which your item is eligible, based on your Declared Value. The price listed will be what you will pay per item.

Note that if you desire a faster turnaround time on your order, you may select a Service Level above the Declared Value for your item.

Welcome!

• Options

It's a large collection so I'm not sure what everything is that I have just yet but this is the card that is probably the most valuable. What's is the actual value that you would recommend declaring or is it too risky to even ship it off? It's selling between $10-100k but mine is ungraded so I'm not sure what it's worth.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-SP-Golf-Tiger-Woods-ROOKIE-RC-AUTO-900-45-PSA-10-GEM-MINT/224218837718?hash=item34347bf2d6:g:L1EAAOSwss5gA-nB

• Options

I agree with emar, post a pic and you will likely get some excellent advice from the many expert golf card collectors on our board.

• Options
    digregdtdigregdt Posts: 11
    edited March 9, 2021 5:55AM

Here's card it's in a thick plastic case and looks to be in great shape. Thank you for all responses!

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

It's hard to tell behind the plastic.
    I'm assuming PSA would grade this card fairly harsh. It's modern and it's Tiger Woods.
    The good news is the market is extremely hot, this card might sell for a decent price even w/o a mint grade.
    Very low population in any grade:

I would definitely rule out gem mint. Here are realized prices for 9 mint:

Regardless, I would think it's worth it to sub to PSA to get the most bang out of it.
    Hope this helps.
    Good luck!

• Options

So just pay the $500 PSA option? And nobody is paying the prices that the card is listed for on eBay? I wouldn't judge the card off my photo the card has been in that case for 20 years.

• Options

@digregdt said:
    So just pay the $500 PSA option? And nobody is paying the prices that the card is listed for on eBay? I wouldn't judge the card off my photo the card has been in that case for 20 years.

IMO you should get it graded. I'm not sure if others would disagree but I think PSA would want you to remove from the hard plastic case (can the re-holdering option with grading be used here as an option?). Use the highest service level and when you ship it, insure it for the full value you think it might get as a PSA 10 so you have a chance to recover most of a loss if one happens in shipping.

With a card potentially that valuable, use your judgement about removing it and handling it. I get nervous re-holdering cards worth a few hundred dollars.

Here are recent Ebay sales of this card: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=2001+SP+Golf+Tiger+Woods+45&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=2001+SP+Golf+Tiger+Woods+ROOKIE&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

List prices on Ebay only tell one hazy part of the story. You need to look for completed sales.

• Options

@canyoubelieveit Thank you I ordered the approved case and will get it off to PSA this week. Luckily I have some less valuable cards in the same cases that I can practice on LOL hoping for the best.

• Options

@digregdt said:
    @canyoubelieveit Thank you I ordered the approved case and will get it off to PSA this week. Luckily I have some less valuable cards in the same cases that I can practice on LOL hoping for the best.

Good luck with it! I absolutely agree that having it slabbed by PSA will help you immensely in the selling process.

• Options

Thanks for the advice! @bobbybakeriv

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post some pics when you get 'em back from PSA.

Good luck!

• Options

Will do thanks!

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

A slightly different tact?

I would consign the raw card to the major auction house of your choosing (PM me for suggestions). Have them get it graded and have them handle the sale. Negotiate your terms (again, PM).

Why?

Selling five figure cards yourself carries a lot of risk: eBay is a buyers market, not a sellers. Delivery can be problematic as can insuring the package. All adds to cost structure of card, in some cases significantly.

Once you consign a raw card, you just have to wait for the check. You don’t have to send it through the mail three times (to PSA, back to you and then to the buyer) and you don’t have to worry about non paying or scam ridden buyers.

And if this were a $500 card, I’d go the grade it and sell it yourself route - 100%. I’m not a golf card collector but the PSA/APR page is good enough for me to see the value in that card.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@digregdt

See above; just another path to consider.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

So I was stupid and tried to do this on my own now my card has sat at PSA for a couple weeks without my order even being checked in yet. Does anyone have a higher contact at PSA that can help me getting my order entered or what is the process of getting my card back?

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Did you put the PSA order bar code on the outside of the package? If you do that, they'll scan it in and sent you a "your stuff has arrived" email usually as they pick it up and bring back to their facility.

Many thousands of folks are waiting on their packages to be acknowledged - you're not unique in this. Just ride it out - you'll be fine.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2021 9:55AM

@digregdt said:
    So I was stupid and tried to do this on my own now my card has sat at PSA for a couple weeks without my order even being checked in yet. Does anyone have a higher contact at PSA that can help me getting my order entered or what is the process of getting my card back?

The process is you sit and wait. There is no one to talk to since they will just look in the computer and see what you see, or lack there of. But you can always send them an email to info@psacard.com. They usually get back to you in 48 business day hours.

Every time I send something in I always get a received scan email that night. Even the other day I got one the same day and they are getting more packages now than before.

I guess the bigger question is did you follow all the instructions, especially did you put the special barcode on the OUTSIDE of the box you sent it in? What service level did you submit it at?

• Options

@thehallmark @RufussCkingston full disclosure I overnighted my card and insured the hell out of it with UPS. Due to my declared value they placed my PSA ready box inside of one of their overnight boxes, I was happy when they did it at the time because it wouldn't be so obvious as to what is in the box but now I'm not so happy. I've waited all day on the phone and opened multiple support tickets including providing them screenshots of my shipping and PSA order info to get them to open the damn UPS box to scan mine in. At this point do I need to fly to California to open my box for them to move this along?

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 807 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2021 8:41PM

Never mind - just saw you shipped UPS so it wouldn’t be related to the Newport Beach PO issue (initially posted to point you to that thread, but not related)

Jim

• Options
    edited March 4, 2021 12:30AM

@digregdt said:
    @thehallmark @RufussCkingston full disclosure I overnighted my card and insured the hell out of it with UPS. Due to my declared value they placed my PSA ready box inside of one of their overnight boxes, I was happy when they did it at the time because it wouldn't be so obvious as to what is in the box but now I'm not so happy. I've waited all day on the phone and opened multiple support tickets including providing them screenshots of my shipping and PSA order info to get them to open the damn UPS box to scan mine in. At this point do I need to fly to California to open my box for them to move this along?

How I'd like to see you get inside PSA to open your UPS box for them ;)

You probably need to send them a picture of the box! BTW, did you track your package on the PSA site using your UPS tracking number? https://www.psacard.com/myaccount/packagefinder

Moral of the story, you didn't follow directions (though not really your fault per se). PSA has a box with no barcode on it. Assuming that they get a crapload of UPS boxes a day, some guy just scans each box and moves them to a storage area, I assume based on the barcode scan saying what the highest service level in the box is dictates the part of storage it goes to. So if your box had no barcode, they put it in a special place, or they punish you and put it with the rest of the 6-12 month subs!

But you should feel safe knowing that your card is in a un-barcoded box on the property and will be entered in the system at some point in time, I'd guess less than 3 months ;).

Also, how did you pack the first box that you felt it would be obvious what was inside the box?

As for your multiple "support tickets", stop bombarding them, it can take up to 5 days for them to get back to you, though usually only a couple. Patience is a virtue. Seems like only yesterday I sent in 400 cards bulk, now it's been over 5 months and doesn't feel that long. Time flies when you don't stress it.

• Options
    parthur1607parthur1607 Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

Don’t fret. Go to the PSA website and find the tab “Find My Package” in the drop down menu. If not there it’s at the very bottom of the page. Enter your tracking number and see if it’s been scanned by PSA. If it hasn’t just check your tracking on the UPS website to confirm it was delivered. You made a slight mistake when you let UPS put your box inside of their box, as has been stated, there was no way for PSA to scan your barcode. I promise you weren’t the first person to do this so they have dealt with it before. If you submitted your card at the walk-through level or above, which I don’t even know what that would be since I’ve never had a 5 figure card, as soon as they finally open the box your card will be on its way back to you in a couple of days. I would probably be freaking out too but if the box was delivered you are safe. Good luck with the grade!

• Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

Let us know what graded out as when you get it back.

• Options
    canyoubelieveitcanyoubelieveit Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

I was in your situation albeit with a submission of less value. I had no idea what to expect. I ended up writing an email to them with my tracking number and submission number and explained I was concerned because I received a package delivered confirmation but PSA did not acknowledge receipt on their website. This is the reply I got back:

Good afternoon,

I do sincerely apologize for the delayed response to your inquiry!

Your package is safe with PSA:

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

• Options

Not sure if anyone on here did anything but they opened my box and checked my card in today! Thank the lord!!!

• Options
    digregdtdigregdt Posts: 11
    edited March 11, 2021 7:03PM

Here's the horrible news, of course they graded my card in the bottom 2% of the population report and there is now dirt on the top left and bottom right corners, so I'm not sure if that's from the case or them handling it through the process. Either way I strongly believe the card is a 9 and at this point is is worth more ungraded so I'm either going to crack it, clean it and sell it raw or send it Beckett and see what they say. Thanks for all the advice through this process even though it's been a waste of time and money up to this point.

• Options

You got a 1 grade deduction for not having the barcode on the box ;)

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a Beckett 9.5/10. Best of luck.

• Options

How much do I pay PSA for grading and what is a Declared Value on a 1996-97 Skybox E-X2000 Star Date 2000 #3/15 Kobe Bryant RC

• Options
    edited March 24, 2021 12:13PM

@logden5751 said:
    How much do I pay PSA for grading and what is a Declared Value on a 1996-97 Skybox E-X2000 Star Date 2000 #3/15 Kobe Bryant RC

Well, if you think it will get at least a PSA 7, then sub for $150 and declare for $2499. If you want it faster or think it is PSA 9 worthy then sub for $300 and declare at $4999. If it PSA 10's let them upcharge you to $1000! (Though the declared value will still be at the lower level)

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Queue the litany of newbie submitters that were absolutely sure their card would grade higher than it did. Card looks like an 8 or 9. Best of luck with BGS.

Robb

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logden5751 said:

At least as much as you'd want to be covered for if the card is lost/stolen/destroyed on the way back from Newport Beach.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

@logden5751 said:

That’s a biggie. Guessing 6 figures.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

@digregdt said:
    Here's the horrible news, of course they graded my card in the bottom 2% of the population report and there is now dirt on the top left and bottom right corners, so I'm not sure if that's from the case or them handling it through the process. Either way I strongly believe the card is a 9 and at this point is is worth more ungraded so I'm either going to crack it, clean it and sell it raw or send it Beckett and see what they say. Thanks for all the advice through this process even though it's been a waste of time and money up to this point.

Card looks great and 8/10 is a solid grade. You said yourself you inherited these cards and are not an expert so I’m not sure why you think so strongly that the card is a nine out of 10. Frankly I think you should listen to the experts on this page who have been submitting cards for 10, 15, and 20 years who are the true experts and are giving you good advice. If you prefer to spend more time and money to have BGS give you sub-grades telling you why it’s an 8, and you think that would be a valuable exercise then go right ahead.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

@Ahmanfan said:

@digregdt said:

Card looks great and 8/10 is a solid grade. You said yourself you inherited these cards and are not an expert so I’m not sure why you think so strongly that the card is a nine out of 10. Frankly I think you should listen to the experts on this page who have been submitting cards for 10, 15, and 20 years who are the true experts and are giving you good advice. If you prefer to spend more time and money to have BGS give you sub-grades telling you why it’s an 8, and you think that would be a valuable exercise then go right ahead.

The corners clearly have touches on them. You can see from the image. This card is graded correctly.

• Options

Should i go the 150 or the 300

• Options
    edited March 24, 2021 4:28PM

Without seeing the naked front, looks pretty good, even though I can't tell if there is something going on with the top right corner on the back... Really a matter of what you feel comfortable spending and how fast you want it back and how much insurance you want (if they break it or lose it on the return). A PSA 7 is going to sell for $2k-$3k, so that is the $150 price. A PSA 8 is $3k+, so technically it's a $300 cost, but you also get $4999 of declared value and a 2 week turnaround. If it was me personally and it was the only card i was submitting, I'd feel comfortable giving $300 for a $2k return min.

• Options

Thanks it was from the glare when i took the pic The other front pic is kind of blurry I guess ill go with the $300 Id get it out again but i got it all packaged up and ready to go to psa

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

Great looking. good luck.

• Options

Good Luck with it... Hit us back with the results...... and clear pics ;)

• Options

Ok thanks i took the $300 package valued to $4999 Now i can work on my other ones They been in my safe for years

• Options

Well took only 5 days They got it Monday and shipping back out today But the grade sucked gave me a NEAR MINT 7