Home Sports Talk
Options

AFC and NFC Championships

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you see this weekend playing out?

Comments

• Options

I'll be watching the entire NFC championship, and the first half of the AFC championship. Unfortunately, the second half of the AFC championship might be a problem. I don't wanna talk about it!

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bills Packers Super Bowl
    Bills 1-4 in Super Bowls

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Packers.
    Bills/Chiefs depends on Mahomes making it through concussion protocol.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2021 2:17PM

Rodgers vs Allen. I’m rooting for the Bills to get their first. If Brady gets in I want him to get #7.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

As stated above, Mahomes needs to pass several more protocol steps b4 being allowed to play. Could be the game right there.

The Packers are 3.5 point favorites with an o/u of 51. While Tom is no stranger to snow and cold...weather is predicted to be in the upper 20s with 40% chance of snow at kickoff. Tom needs to bring is uber-A game to play again and go for #7. Had it not been for the picks yesterday, a different team might be headed to the tundra and Tommy back to the palm trees. Luck appears to be with him so far.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "State Farm" Super Bowl ala Rodgers/Mahomes TV commercials.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    Packers.
    Bills/Chiefs depends on Mahomes making it through concussion protocol.

There is no way they would keep him out.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

The SB is in Tampa....I'm betting the NFL and Vegas slide the Brady Bucs into that game. Bills/Bucs.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tampa Bay Has Activated Vita Vea from the inactive list. that has huge implications for the NFC CG. when TB defense looked really good early in the season, it was in large part predicated on the huge push up the middle Vea could get. eating up blockers and opening up lanes for pass rushers. Nothing bothers a QB any worse than pressure up the middle.

TBD how many snaps he takes.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

I have amended my picks.

Packers.
    Bills.

• Options

@keets said:
    I have amended my picks.

Packers.
    Bills.

So even with Mahomes playing, still Bills?

For the record I am picking Bills as well.

• Options

Even if Mahomes plays he is banged up, I think the Bills are going to put constant pressure on him and make it tough. I hope the Bills can do it

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Even if Mahomes plays he is banged up, I think the Bills are going to put constant pressure on him and make it tough. I hope the Bills can do it

Sorry @darin , but I am rooting for a Chiefs loss. I really wish the Patriots had re-loaded and Brady had stayed, because I think the CHiefs would have been left waiting a few years longer. I thoroughly enjoyed the dominance the Patriots showed over the Chiefs in the first half of the AFCCG before the Patriots last SB. Yes the Chiefs made it a game, but Brady put up the points and the defensive game plan completely stopped Reid and Mahomes. A depleted Patriots team the next year fell victim to Mahomes on his Super Bowl run, but Patriots fans know that it took a roster decimation and Brady leaving to make room for new AFC challengers. And this includes the Bills, who I actually am rooting for. I will not root for them over the Bucs, but I want them in the SB and I will root for them to win it if the Packers are there.

• Options

So even with Mahomes playing, still Bills?

yes, what perk said. I haven't felt that the Chiefs are unbeatable, like the rest of the Football world. I believe that had the Browns been healthy on the D-line they would have beaten KC. Myles Garrett has struggled since his recovery from COVID-19 and Olivier Vernon's season was ended with an achilles injury. absent them Cleveland was unable, for the last three games, to really pressure any QB.

what Buffalo should do(and probably will) is take some form of tactic out of the Pittsburgh playbook, constant pressure. Mahomes' strong points are his elusiveness and arm strength which will both be limited to some degree as a result of the concussion/nerve issue and his turf toe. I see a lot of quick passes over the middle, in the flats and some screens, but I also see Buffalo being able to defend that.

if Mahomes doesn't play it won't be close. if he does, the first thing before any play-call should be DON'T RUN no matter what, throw the ball away. not to sound like a broken record, but I have said before that the Chiefs are one play away from being a .500 Team. this is the big, big problem with almost every NFL franchise: the "franchise QB" determines a Team's success. gone are the days when the backup is talented enough that he can step up and win, it almost never happens.

JMHO, I could be dead wrong. B)

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2021 2:44PM

As long as a) the Packers aren't in the SB and b) if they're in, the AFC team is the champ.

All kidding aside, I'd like to see Buffalo win it all

• Options

Cold sweats in the middle of the night.
    Bills vs Brady in the Super Bowl.
    Oh sh$t. Not again!

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the Bills make it to the SB I hope they play to win and not to lose. There is a difference in the mind set between the two. The specter of the previous 4 SB results will loom large. Only because the media will keep hammering away on it in print,social media,TV etc. And in interviews. There will be much pressure on them to deal with in those 2 weeks leading up to the game.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    If the Bills make it to the SB I hope they play to win and not to lose. There is a difference in the mind set between the two. The specter of the previous 4 SB results will loom large. Only because the media will keep hammering away on it in print,social media,TV etc. And in interviews. There will be much pressure on them to deal with in those 2 weeks leading up to the game.

It’s a young bunch. Only pressure is the next game. Honestly they don’t know any better but it will be discussed for 2 weeks.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Anybody got game plans for Sunday?

I didn't have my cigar for the game I got out to watch last week (brought a nice Cuban Monte Cristo but didn't fire it). So I might hit the local pub with the guys and fire it up for the Bux/Packers afternoon game.

• Options

My wife and I went to Hot Springs in November for a weekend getaway. In they 5 star hotel they had a Sony OLED HDTV. Sony uses the LG screen with a faster processor. If you’ve not seen the 2020 models, don’t. So yesterday we purchased the 55” model (largest I can get for the living room) and a JBL 9.1 surround sound system for the Championship games and the Super Bowl. I’m eating Ramon noodles for 2 years but it’ll be worth it. The new audio, video set up and chicken wings with ice cold Pepsi. That’s the plan.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2021 11:53AM

@DrBuster said:

I didn't have my cigar for the game I got out to watch last week (brought a nice Cuban Monte Cristo but didn't fire it). So I might hit the local pub with the guys and fire it up for the Bux/Packers afternoon game.

Where can you get a Cuban and I want one. Haven’t had one since I was in Canada in 1986.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@DrBuster said:

Where can you get a Cuban and I want one. Haven’t had one since I was in Canada in 1986.

Expo'86, eh?

I brought a few Cubans back from that too. Cigars, not women.

• Options

It looks like Antonio Brown isn't going to play in the NFC Championship game due to a knee injury.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/antonio-brown-to-miss-nfc-championship-game-with-knee-injury/ar-BB1d0rIY

• Options

When we go out of country I usually bring a box or more back and throw them in the humidor. Covid2020 depleted the supplies pretty bad but I still have ~20 or 25 in there. Brought 5 boxes back from the Caymans in Oct 2019 and a box back from Bogota that xmas. Can't wait to reload when we get back to flying and the EO banning bringing those (and rum) back for personal use from last year goes away.

• Options

@hammer1 said:

@2dueces said:

@DrBuster said:

Expo'86, eh?

Both. Best $3000 I ever spent. 😂

W.C.Fields
  • Options

That year in Montreal I saw the world championship firework show. If you’ve never seen World Fireworks display you need to put that on your bucket list. I was able to see Chinas winning display. Take 4th of July in New York and multiple it by 1000. Fireworks to me were ok before that. I honestly was in complete awe. Great thing about those shows, there’s not a bad seat in the whole City.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

It’s official. Mahomes cleared concussion protocol and is playing Sunday. Like there was ever a doubt. Good! Win or lose I want him playing. I couldn’t stand the off season after the Bills win the Super Bowl everyone saying if Mahomes played. Blah, blah blah.
    Win or lose the best players are ready.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    It’s official. Mahomes cleared concussion protocol and is playing Sunday. Like there was ever a doubt. Good! Win or lose I want him playing. I couldn’t stand the off season after the Bills win the Super Bowl everyone saying if Mahomes played. Blah, blah blah.
    Win or lose the best players are ready.

I highly doubt he will be 100% which might be a difference maker. I like Buffalo

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    It looks like Antonio Brown isn't going to play in the NFC Championship game due to a knee injury.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/antonio-brown-to-miss-nfc-championship-game-with-knee-injury/ar-BB1d0rIY

Tough hit for the Bucs. I was hoping he could play, I want a Bucs vs Bills Super Bowl!

• Options

@2dueces said:

@hammer1 said:

@2dueces said:

@DrBuster said:

Expo'86, eh?

Both. Best $3000 I ever spent. 😂

Love it! 😂😂👍👍

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

80% change of snow in GB

40% chance of rain in KC

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    80% change of snow in GB

40% chance of rain in KC

m

The snow will equally effect both GB and TB, both QB’s are very familiar with snow. Rain for KC/Buffalo same deal.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Justacommeman said:
    80% change of snow in GB

40% chance of rain in KC

m

The snow will equally effect both GB and TB, both QB’s are very familiar with snow. Rain for KC/Buffalo same deal.

I love watching bad weather games on the outdoor TV in So Cal. It makes me seem so smart at the time

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

and a JBL 9.1 surround sound system

that's just ridiculous. someone should invent an expandable, circular speaker ring. that would accomplish what they're trying to do, encircle the listener with sound. well, what they're actually trying to do is get people to buy the next new systen and it looks like they got you, hook-line-and-sinker. :p

going back in time it went from mono to stereo to quadraphonic to 5-1 to 7-1 to the new 9-1. did I miss any?? I'm old school, stuck on stereo, although I do have a sound bar.

Bills vs. Packers. The snow will equally effect both GB and TB I'd give Green Bay the edge in that department, especially at home. the field will be a factor.

• Options

Movies are now in Dolby Atmos. Newest a greatest in sound quality. Yeah they got me. It’s actually our Christmas present for each of us. We do spend a lot of time watching movies. It’s our source of entertainment about 90% of the time. If we keep the entire system TV, Surround and 4K Ultra HD blue Ray for 10 years it comes to about $300 a year but of course the initial investment is around $3K. Happy wife, happy life. 😉

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Bills activated Kenny Stills from the practice squad for tomorrow’s game. It might mean another weapon for Josh Allen or it may mean Gabriel Davis (ankle) won’t be able to go. Either way with Diggs, Beasley and Brown the Bills are healthy at WR for the game. Breeland also cleared concussion protocol so KC will have another healthy DB. They’ll need all the help they can. I still see this as a double digit win for the Bills and I’ll explain it in one short paragraph.
    KC was dead last in the Red Zone the last 8 weeks. The Bills are #1 in Red Zone defense the last 10 weeks. KC settles for FG’s in the Bills bend but don’t break defense. Mahomes may be slightly hobbled with the toe injury and I would bet Andy Reid isn’t going to call many QB options with his toe and just coming of a concussion.
    KC kicks FG’s. Bills score TD’s.
    Final score Buffalo 27 Kansas City 13

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2021 5:07PM

i hesitate to go so far as to say that the Bills will beat the Chiefs, but i think they have the better chance of the two roadies. i said KC was vulnerable weeks ago and that feeling hasn't gone away. i do think Buffalo needs SOMETHING out of the ground game to keep the Chiefs honest, otherwise Josh is going to be forced to completely ball out and outplay Mahomes

i'm just not feeling Tampa tomorrow. GB went hard after the top spot for this very reason -- to bring warm weather teams to their house and play in their elements. i think A Rodg is on a mission this year.

• Options

I like Green Bay by double digits. Tampa Bay went as far as they could. Honestly the two teams they played were not exactly juggernauts. The Saints are constantly a playoff team but Brees was playing at 50% and Tampa didn’t respect the deep ball. They will this weekend combined with an adequate running game, 20 degree weather and no Antonio Brown I don’t think Tampa can keep up. This is by far my largest playoff wager eclipsing my wager in the Bills last week. Green Bay 31 Tampa Bay 20.
    Tom Brady’s quest for 7 ends at 5:40 tomorrow.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces I have a couple questions for you.

Way back when my team used to play in the playoffs, I always liked them to play the late game. That way I would know who they would play the next game, and I could enjoy the first game. Because if the Pats lost, I shut off the tv before the late game. My question... Are you glad that your game is second?

Second question, you are picking the Packers. Which team would you prefer to play in the SB?

• Options

This is my favorite sports day of the year!

The Final Four is my second favorite

m

• Options

Going to Wal-Mart. Must pick up supplies for game. Must get fish and potato.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

What’s on the menu?

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

Way back when my team used to play in the playoffs, I always liked them to play the late game. That way I would know who they would play the next game, and I could enjoy the first game. Because if the Pats lost, I shut off the tv before the late game. My question... Are you glad that your game is second?

Second question, you are picking the Packers. Which team would you prefer to play in the SB?

I wish they played at 6:00 AM. Sunday’s have always been a funny day for me. All week Can’t wait for the Bills game. But it’s Sunday so after the game I know the weekend is almost over and I have to go to work Monday. I like the 12:00 starts.
    This week is a little different. I want to see who wins the 1st game to see who the Bills will play in the Super Bowl. Imagine the horror a Bills fan will face if Tampa wins and the Bills once more have to face Brady on the opposite side line.
    So to answer both questions I like early starts and Green Bay in an easy win over Tampa Bay. 31-20

W.C.Fields
  • Options

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

The odds seem to be catching up to Tom Brady on this game, and now Brown is out.

Unless the Packers make a number of major mistakes, i think they're going to have a tough time losing this game

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, 2dueces. I hope those Bills win today. You gotta love that kid quarterback they have. What's his name? Anyway we're pulling for the Bills today around here. Just hope for a good game that the refs don't screw-up. GO BILLS!

• Options

@stevek said:
    The odds seem to be catching up to Tom Brady on this game, and now Brown is out.

Unless the Packers make a number of major mistakes, i think they're going to have a tough time losing this game

They got plenty of weapons, I’m thinking the Bucs can potentially score enough to win but it rides more on their D stepping up against Rodgers & Adam’s

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

What’s on the menu?

I love those crispy Captain Gorton fish filets, and a baked potato. There's something about that little fisherman guy on the box that lures me in!

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@thisistheshow said:

I wish they played at 6:00 AM. Sunday’s have always been a funny day for me. All week Can’t wait for the Bills game. But it’s Sunday so after the game I know the weekend is almost over and I have to go to work Monday. I like the 12:00 starts.
    This week is a little different. I want to see who wins the 1st game to see who the Bills will play in the Super Bowl. Imagine the horror a Bills fan will face if Tampa wins and the Bills once more have to face Brady on the opposite side line.
    So to answer both questions I like early starts and Green Bay in an easy win over Tampa Bay. 31-20

2deuces, I know the feeling. I hate when the Chiefs play on Sunday night knowing I have to get up early
    and go to work the next day. But I've got it covered for Super Bowl Sunday. I get two weeks vacation time
    every year so I'm taking a full week off following the Super Bowl. That way I enjoy the Chiefs playing
    knowing I don't have to go to work the entire week.
    I'm using my head for something other than a hat rack this year! :p

• Options
    edited January 24, 2021 11:00AM

Look, I know the feeling of the stress these big games can cause. I've been there. The waiting, the worry, the waking up in a cold sweat after having a nightmare about Jake Delhomme having a 6 interception game, I've been there.