Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Full Band and resubmission help

So I recently bought this 1945 micro S mercury dime in ms 66+, and I was wanting to resubmit it for the full bands designation. First off the graysheet price for a 1945 micro s in 66+ is $175. But in full bands is $1500. So some words of help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Close, but no cigar.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

To PCGS graders, a Mercury dime with full band details will have fully separated horizontal bands on the central part of the fasces (the bundle of rods on the reverse). In addition, there can be no interruption on the trough (depression) of the bands due to strike, contact, planchet problems or any other damage, whether mint caused or not, if the coin is to obtain the PCGS Full Band designation.

https://www.pcgs.com/News/Mercury-Dimes-With-Full-Bands

PS Not my area of expertise so I will see what the experts here say. :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Close but not quite good enough.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2021 9:19PM

@abcde12345 said:
    Close, but no cigar.

Close but I would give it the cigar. This coin would be a wiki borderline example poster child - It is FB at the end of the day. I would do a designation review on it.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like interruption in two spots on the right side.

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    Looks like interruption in two spots on the right side.

Not seeing it - I think this ones needs to be in hand to call it fair.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the right 20% has a tiny bridge or two and wouldn't get it. Especially with a big jump in value, my words of advice would be to enjoy the coin as is and save your money.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does not look like a FB example to me.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    I like it!

:blush:

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I were a buyer with $1500 to spend on such a thing (I'm not) I would pass on this coin. For that kind of money it would have to be perfect which this coin is not.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2021 8:52AM

The bands are always hard to determine in a pic. In hand is always best.
    These areas look a bit concerning to me...
    I think it's close, but I wouldn't spend the money for sending it in.

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin is probably not a full band but I would have the coin regraded if I was going to sell it. The coin goes up in value $1000 with the full band designation. You don’t have to be right very often for this to profitable.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you asking here about a NGC regrade?

I am not sure how much you paid for this, but if you think there is a chance, I would crack out and resubmit. Keeping in mind it may also drop some. Then you could send to PCGS, NGC, where ever...

• Options

Thanks for the thoughts! I was planning on cracking it out and resubmitting it to NGC, but I like to hear a lot of opinions before I do.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@The_dime_collecter said:
    Thanks for the thoughts! I was planning on cracking it out and resubmitting it to NGC, but I like to hear a lot of opinions before I do.

My opinion is that you have far more to lose then to gain, it does not look FB to me.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not split/rounded. Grade tier wouldn't make much difference except for wait. I'd think there may be a bias on fb if they didn't do it first time around but you don't want to suffer a downgrade if that might happen.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS is much more prone to give the designation, NGC is tough, but the lack of roundness is an issue.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coin, your money... the magnified view says no FB.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    hatchethatchet Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

Is a better photo possible?

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll just say I've submitted Mercs with more separation that the OP's that did not get the FB designation.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file