Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

DLRC and Nutilt image technology- Why aren't we talking about this?

ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

A while back this topic was brought up but seems there has been no further mention here.
This has been out for a few months now, how many here have installed the app on their mobile device?
In my opinion this has the potential to revolutionize the way coins are sold, or at the very least, shared online. The ability to tilt and rotate an image of a coin as if you are holding it, see the luster swirl, to be able to zoom in and do the same thing as if you were holding a loupe to the coin.. very impressive stuff.
Anyone who doesn't have this installed needs to do so and browse through the coins listed. I think this can be of particular use to newer collectors who may not know what a certain grade of a coin actually looks like.
A reminder of what it looks like from their website:

Collector, occasional seller

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks nice. The last thread on these just had the non-tilting web images.

This looks pretty cool.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Looks nice. The last thread on these just had the non-tilting web images.

This looks pretty cool.

It is very cool. If you install it on your phone you'll find yourself looking at coins for a while.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s been brought up a couple of times. In one thread I put in a small review of the mobile app. It’s promising but still not quite hitting its stride. The mobile app needs a fair amount of work and they aren’t in a rush to do updates.

I don’t know what nuTilt’s business plan is but they have expected people to be interested in sending them coins to image. Perhaps that hasn’t come to fruition as they hoped?

• Options

o > @TurtleCat said:

I don’t know what nuTilt’s business plan is but they have expected people to be interested in sending them coins to image. Perhaps that hasn’t come to fruition as they hoped?

It looks like the effect would be best of the coin is raw and I can see many not wanting their coins cracked out.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a bad first step.

Imagine if you could do the tilting, at your pace and angle...slowing or stopping when you like. That would be fun.
    Lance.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. It’s cool to see luster and luster breaks but you got to look at the still photo to see the strike details clearly.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2021 12:20AM
  • Options

@lkeigwin said:
    Not a bad first step.

Imagine if you could do the tilting, at your pace and angle...slowing or stopping when you like. That would be fun.
    Lance.

That’s what the mobile app allows.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that looks interesting.... will check it out... Sure allows a better evaluation than just a straight on beauty shot. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited January 16, 2021 8:47AM

@Zoins said:

@TurtleCat said:

It looks like the effect would be best of the coin is raw and I can see many not wanting their coins cracked out.

If the coin really should be raw, it would be interesting if they had a deal with PCGS where PCGS would supply the photos of the raw coin.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't you do some version of that with 3D imaging apps?

The problem with nutilt, to me, is that you have to send them coins to image.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@ChrisH821 said:
    DLRC and Nutilt image technology- Why aren't we talking about this?

A good question may be how many of us have coins that can be NuTilted?

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

Why aren't we talking about this?

fwiw, this style of presentation has been tried on and off for years. other auction firms have even used it in their offerings. it was seemingly only received by a small percentage of people.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@coinsarefun said:
    Can you upload your own coin? Can it be raw?

It’s a service with a setup. You mail them the coin, pay a small fee, and they’ll image and send back. I imagine raw is done but I’ve only seen NGC/PCGS images there.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:

@coinsarefun said:

It’s a service with a setup. You mail them the coin, pay a small fee, and they’ll image and send back. I imagine raw is done but I’ve only seen NGC/PCGS images there.

Thank you very much!

• Options

One thing in particular I didn’t like about nuTilt is their privacy policy. It isn’t very consumer friendly. At least when I looked last fall.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Set Registry needs to be modified to accept these

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:

I would see PCGS offering their own take of this service as a TrueView+ offering before allowing it into the registry system. But it is the next logical step and a revenue source for PCGS that they might tap.

• Options
    TheMayorTheMayor Posts: 221 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose I will be the contrarian but I am less sanguine about nuTilt's longterm prospects than the rest of you. It really seems to highlight even the most superficial marks and imperfections. There have been a handful of coins that I was initially interested in that I passed on after reviewing their nuTilt. This has been great for my bank account but I can't see how it helps dealers or auction houses (fewer returns maybe?). Ultimately I can't see anything that has the effect of reducing demand or prices gaining widespread adoption. I am curious if anyone has had the opposite experience - a coin that they were borderline on that they were compelled to purchase after reviewing the nuTilt?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheMayor said:
    I suppose I will be the contrarian but I am less sanguine about nuTilt's longterm prospects than the rest of you. It really seems to highlight even the most superficial marks and imperfections. There have been a handful of coins that I was initially interested in that I passed on after reviewing their nuTilt. This has been great for my bank account but I can't see how it helps dealers or auction houses (fewer returns maybe?). Ultimately I can't see anything that has the effect of reducing demand or prices gaining widespread adoption. I am curious if anyone has had the opposite experience - a coin that they were borderline on that they were compelled to purchase after reviewing the nuTilt?

Do you feel that imperfections are highlighted to a greater degree than they’d be by an in-hand inspection?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's amazing.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

@MFeld said:
    Do you feel that imperfections are highlighted to a greater degree than they’d be by an in-hand inspection?

It's hard for me to say for sure. I have never reviewed the same coin in hand and on nuTilt. My impulse response to your question was "probably" but the more I think about it, I am not sure.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheMayor said:

@MFeld said:

It's hard for me to say for sure. I have never reviewed the same coin in hand and on nuTilt. My impulse response to your question was "probably" but the more I think about it, I am not sure.

If I were thinking about buying sight-unseen, if I couldn’t get a trusted numismatist to view it for me, I’d want any picture/video to show all relevant flaws as conspicuously as possible.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:
    If I were thinking about buying sight-unseen, if I couldn’t get a trusted numismatist to view it for me, I’d want any picture/video to show all relevant flaws as conspicuously as possible.

From a collector's perspective, I agree with you. It helps me pass on a coin that I otherwise might not, or avoid bidding on a coin that I otherwise might bid on. My opinion on this ultimately does not matter. If coins with nuTilt's sell better and for higher prices than those without, it will become much more popular. If, over time, dealers believe, or data suggests, that they have the effect of stifling demand, I don't think they will survive. To me, whether collectors (or buyers generally) like nuTilt and find it useful is less relevant than whether it makes them more or less likely to click "buy" or "bid".

My personal experience is that nuTilt has helped me pass on coins that i otherwise might have purchased. I have not heard anyone say they were compelled to purchase a coin after the comfort they gained viewing the nuTilt. However, I suppose, given its apparent popularity in this thread, that is what is happening for others.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:

@tradedollarnut said:

I would see PCGS offering their own take of this service as a TrueView+ offering before allowing it into the registry system. But it is the next logical step and a revenue source for PCGS that they might tap.

Didn't Phil demo something on these boards a few years back that was similar? I vaguely remember hearing about it before i joined.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    edited January 16, 2021 1:18PM

@TurtleCat said:

@coinsarefun said:

Do the NGC/PCGS coins show the prongs?

I don't see any in the OP.

• Options
    edited January 16, 2021 1:20PM

@TheMayor said:

But aren't TrueViews the same way in that they highlight minute details of the coin?

I've purchased coins and avoided coins because of the TrueView. I like coins that are photogenic.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@TurtleCat said:

@coinsarefun said:

Yes, it’s as it is holdered. Most of the coins they have imaged have come from DLRC I would guess so maybe a bias against prong holders? But I have seen them.

NuTilt only adds about 10-20 coins a week last time I looked.

• Options

@TurtleCat said:

@Zoins said:

@TurtleCat said:

@coinsarefun said:

Yes, it’s as it is holdered. Most of the coins they have imaged have come from DLRC I would guess so maybe a bias against prong holders? But I have seen them.

I don't think PCGS and NGC really give you a choice with prong holders now. I thought the only way to have a preference against prong holders would be to buy old holders or use ANACS or ICGS?

NuTilt only adds about 10-20 coins a week last time I looked.

I wonder how many of those are from DLRC? It would be great to see some in @DLHansen's Registry Sets!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file