Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Numismatist and thedockter

IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 9, 2021 1:53AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The ad above was printed on p. 12 of the January issue of The Numismatist. To my mind, this raises two important questions:

1) Should The Numismatist be promoting these kind of services?

2) Should The Numismatist have any other concerns about promoting this individual?

In my opinion, the answer to #1 is no; it is detrimental to the hobby to promote services that may be used to disguise problem coins. The answer to #2 is maybe. I do not know this individual and have not done any business with him. However, I am familiar with the eBay seller known as "thedockter" (a.k.a. "Big Al") and have followed the discussion below with interest:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1033253/the-dockter-big-al-etc/p1

As I said, I don't know the man and I make no accusations. Frankly, I don't have to. If they are to run these ads, it should be the responsibility of The Numismatist staff to look into this matter and make their own determination based on the available evidence and/or their own investigation.
Advertising Sales Manager:
nmcallister@money.org
advertising@money.org

Editor:
editor@money.org

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 7:59PM

Edited to add: PCGS & NGC conservation services do not fill holes. Sorry for the prior post.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing offered in the ad is in violation of the ANA Member or ANA Dealer Code of Ethics.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JesseKraft said:
    Warning: This person (nor his company) IS NOT A MEMBER OF THE AMERICAN NUMISMATIC SOCIETY!!!

Our records show no indication that this is true whatsoever.
    I just reached out to see if he can provide proof of this. Waiting to hear back.
    And, yes, @Jayyk31 , we're legit. :)

FYI, from another post.

• Options

@Catbert said:
    Perhaps you should not have given his ad more publicity here to remain consistent with your argument?

Anyway, I am generally for less censorship. There is too much cancel culture these days. Corrosive in my opinion.

I have no interest in "cancelling" a person. Rather, I am voicing my concern about the potential negative impact of running the ad. Maybe you think the ad is fine and have no concerns about it. In that case, we have a difference of opinion.

• Options

@astrorat said:
    Nothing offered in the ad is in violation of the ANA Member or ANA Dealer Code of Ethics.

Perhaps not. I still have concerns about it.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 7:18PM

@IkesT said:

The ad above was printed on p. 12 of the January issue of The Numismatist. To my mind, this raises two important questions:

1) Should The Numismatist be promoting these kind of services?

Yes.

2) Should The Numismatist have any other concerns about promoting this individual?

No.

Allen Stockton's company is up front about their services. The company has been discussed numerous times on the forums in the past without issue.

https://crsstockton.com/

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IkesT said:
    If they are to run these ads, it should be the responsibility of The Numismatist staff to look into this matter and make their own determination based on the available evidence and/or their own investigation.

Are you thinking they'd run whatever ad one might submit without looking at them? Seems unlikely.

• Options

@scotty4449 said:

@JesseKraft said:
    Warning: This person (nor his company) IS NOT A MEMBER OF THE AMERICAN NUMISMATIC SOCIETY!!!

I just reached out to see if he can provide proof of this. Waiting to hear back.

FYI, from another post.

What does the American Numismatic Society have to do with the company or advertising in The Numismatist?

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

@MasonG said:

@IkesT said:
    If they are to run these ads, it should be the responsibility of The Numismatist staff to look into this matter and make their own determination based on the available evidence and/or their own investigation.

Are you thinking they'd run whatever ad one might submit without looking at them? Seems unlikely.

No, but I'm raising a concern they may not have thought of.

• Options

Wow!

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

If the goal is to preserve our numismatic heritage, this has value doesn't it?

It may, in the right context, but that's not really my point.

Obviously, I'm in the minority on this one, at least based on the posted comments. Thanks to you and others for your replies. :)

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

In general, I am more in favor of conservation than restoration. There is a time and place for all of the services listed. As long as the business is ethical, there is not a problem. There need to be a few ethical players in this business and I don't want the TPGs to be the only ones.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options

@IkesT said:

@jmlanzaf said:

If the goal is to preserve our numismatic heritage, this has value doesn't it?

It may, in the right context, but that's not really my point.

Obviously, I'm in the minority on this one, at least based on the posted comments. Thanks to you and others for your replies. :)

It sort of has to be the point, doesn't it? Or at least part of the point. The question is whether the offered services have value or not.

• Options

@astrorat said:

@scotty4449 said:

@JesseKraft said:

FYI, from another post.

What does the American Numismatic Society have to do with the company or advertising in The Numismatist?

From the website:

About
    We restore coins to a collector’s condition.
    These damaged coins still have a lot of good left in them. Coins that have been holed and or damaged can be restored by removing Solder, Filling holes and replacing the detail the way it should be, in the proper place and in the proper proportions.
    I have been restoring coins for 27 years and I am a Life Member of the American Numismatic Society.

• Options

@IkesT said:

@MasonG said:

@IkesT said:

What did they say when you asked them?

• Options

@scotty4449 said:

@astrorat said:

@scotty4449 said:

@JesseKraft said:

FYI, from another post.

From the website:

About
    These damaged coins still have a lot of good left in them. Coins that have been holed and or damaged can be restored by removing Solder, Filling holes and replacing the detail the way it should be, in the proper place and in the proper proportions.
    I have been restoring coins for 27 years and I am a Life Member of the American Numismatic Society.

And what does being a life member of the American Numismatic Society have to do with advertising in The Numismatist?

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    The only one I'm iffy on is "detail replaced" if he's talking about tooling the coin. The holes filled and solder removed is pretty normal "curating" and is done by NGC and PCGS.

“Holes filled” by NGC and PCGS?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@astrorat said:

@scotty4449 said:

@astrorat said:

@scotty4449 said:

@JesseKraft said:

FYI, from another post.

From the website:

About

And what does being a life member of the American Numismatic Society have to do with advertising in The Numismatist?

It might mean that he was never brought up on ethics charges and dismissed from ANS.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    The only one I'm iffy on is "detail replaced" if he's talking about tooling the coin. The holes filled and solder removed is pretty normal "curating" and is done by NGC and PCGS.

Maybe not. I thought tat was one of the conservation services they offered.

• Options

@astrorat said:

@scotty4449 said:

@astrorat said:

@scotty4449 said:

@JesseKraft said:

FYI, from another post.

From the website:

About

I actually don't really care what the numismatist does.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I’ve never hard of that.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@IkesT said:

@MasonG said:

@IkesT said:

What did they say when you asked them?

Nothing at all.

• Options
    edited January 15, 2021 8:00PM

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I’ve never hard of that.

They apparently don't. I edited the original comment. Sorry.

Oddly, I had it backwards. They won't UNDO a filled hole. LOL.

• Options

@scotty4449 said:

@astrorat said:

@scotty4449 said:

@astrorat said:

@scotty4449 said:

@JesseKraft said:

FYI, from another post.

From the website:

About

I actually don't really care what the numismatist does.

Then why repost a prior thread quoting "Warning: This person (nor his company) IS NOT A MEMBER OF THE AMERICAN NUMISMATIC SOCIETY!!!" into a thread concerning advertising in The Numismatist?

You do know the ANS does not publish The Numismatist, right?

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@astrorat said:

@scotty4449 said:

@astrorat said:

@scotty4449 said:

@JesseKraft said:

FYI, from another post.

From the website:

About

It might mean that he was never brought up on ethics charges and dismissed from ANS.

How does that impact advertising in a publication produced by the ANA?

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    KSorboKSorbo Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

The phrase “restored to collector’s condition” gives me pause. To me that implies making a coin gradable that was not previously gradable. A holed coin is not in any more of a collector’s condition than a plugged coin, so isn’t that false advertising?

• Options

@astrorat said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@astrorat said:

@scotty4449 said:

@astrorat said:

@scotty4449 said:

@JesseKraft said:

FYI, from another post.

From the website:

About

I don't know that it directly translates. I think the issue is over whether the advertiser's business is ethical or not. If he's been in business for 27 years without issue, then he's "reputable".

I frequently have buyers tell me that they only purchased from me because I was an ANA or APS member. It does matter to some people.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@astrorat said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@astrorat said:

@scotty4449 said:

@astrorat said:

@scotty4449 said:

@JesseKraft said:

FYI, from another post.

From the website:

About

I don't know that it directly translates. I think the issue is over whether the advertiser's business is ethical or not. If he's been in business for 27 years without issue, then he's "reputable".

I frequently have buyers tell me that they only purchased from me because I was an ANA or APS member. It does matter to some people.

Gotcha. Whether it is ethical or not is a different (and important) question. Regardless, doctoring or repairing coins does not violate the ANA's Code of Ethics for collectors or dealers. As such, membership in the ANA is meaningless with respect to this activity, save that the ANA indirectly approves of it.

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 9:42PM

"If he's been in business for 27 years without issue, then he's "reputable".

He is NARU on ebay finally and I'm not sure the 200 year old safe and buying problem coins from auctions cracking them out and not disclosing is "reputable".

I'm sure there are many of his ebay buyers that don't think he is "reputable".

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IkesT said:

@Catbert said:
    Perhaps you should not have given his ad more publicity here to remain consistent with your argument?

Anyway, I am generally for less censorship. There is too much cancel culture these days. Corrosive in my opinion.

I have no interest in "cancelling" a person. Rather, I am voicing my concern about the potential negative impact of running the ad. Maybe you think the ad is fine and have no concerns about it. In that case, we have a difference of opinion.

If the publisher denies his ability to advertise, then I’d say that this is “canceling” his ability to reach a critical audience for his business.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2021 9:09PM

@Catbert said:

@IkesT said:

@Catbert said:

If the publisher denies his ability to advertise, then I’d say that this is “canceling” his ability to reach a critical audience for his business.

A good publisher would not do such a thing for no reason, and certainly not for the purpose of targeting a specific person; they would only do so if the potential for negative impact on their audience warranted it. Like I said, I have concerns about the ad. You apparently do not; that is our disagreement.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2021 1:40AM

@IkesT said:

@Catbert said:

@IkesT said:

@Catbert said:

A good publisher would not do such a thing for no reason, and certainly not for the purpose of targeting a specific person; they would only do so if the potential for negative impact on their audience warranted it. Like I said, I have concerns about the ad. You apparently do not; that is our disagreement.

What do you know about Allen Stockton's service and what is your concern about the ad?

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

during the 20+ years that I had a close relationship or worked for my Boss he used the services of Allen Stockton on maybe half-a-dozen instances. the coins I saw were stuff like filled holes drilled through coins or deep gouges that were smoothed. the results were good but identifiable.

I can see no problem with running the ad, doing otherwise is sort of censorship, right?? I know I'm against that. B)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a rare coin has a loop soldered to the edge, is it wrong to remove the loop and any trace of the solder?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the shape the ANA is in they should accept any form of advertising they can get right now ;)

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears the ad content is not the crucial area of concern.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2021 12:50PM

Unless someone is advertising an item that is harmful or illegal, you nor anyone else has the right to prevent them from providing an income to theirselves as best fits their abilities. If you are a purist numismatist, then shame on you for utilizing their services, but no one has the right to prevent free speech nor rights to commerce because they disagree with them.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

The obvious concern is what happens to a coin that has been brought back to life, and who bears the responsibility for any unethical behavior in the sale of that coin. If he were to post a gallery of every coin worked on so that people (and grading services) could compare with it, would he be able to charge the same for his service? If not, why not?

I like that someone is able to safely remove solder. I don't know that I like that a mutilated coin can me made to look normal. That's pretty close to taking a VG coin and making it VF or altering a date.

• Options

@messydesk said:
    The obvious concern is what happens to a coin that has been brought back to life, and who bears the responsibility for any unethical behavior in the sale of that coin.

The responsible party is the one acting unethically/illegally. If someone uses a hammer to break a window, the guy who made the hammer is surely not at fault.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion, I do not feel it is right to condemn someone and prevent them from doing something, not because of the fact of their selling it, but what the later useage of that item becomes. No one has the ability to truly see intent, especially from someone who only obtains the item in the future. We become big brother whose opinion rules and not the law.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

If someone uses a hammer to break a window, the guy who made the hammer is surely not at fault.

now that's funny!! it's also on point and correct. B)

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@messydesk said:
    The obvious concern is what happens to a coin that has been brought back to life, and who bears the responsibility for any unethical behavior in the sale of that coin.

The responsible party is the one acting unethically/illegally. If someone uses a hammer to break a window, the guy who made the hammer is surely not at fault.

But what about the guy who modified the hammer specifically to make it break glass more quietly?

• Options

@messydesk said:

@MasonG said:

@messydesk said:

But what about the guy who modified the hammer specifically to make it break glass more quietly?

As long as he's not breaking someone else's glass, I'm not seeing a problem there.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    If someone uses a hammer to break a window, the guy who made the hammer is surely not at fault.

now that's funny!! it's also on point and correct. B)

Reminds me of the saying "guns don't kill people, people do". >:)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

In contrast with a painting, for example, where restoring the artists' vision may be valued above absolute originality, or a car, where restoring the original function and/or appearance is valued above preserving the whole of the original, coins tend to be viewed through a different lens, where originality is favored over appearance, per se. Not always – dipping uncirculated coins to remove unattractive toning comes to mind – but we're talking about an order of magnitude of alteration beyond that: actually replacing missing pieces of a coin and re-carving missing detail.

Is it desirable to take a highly modified coin and modify it even further in order to make it look less modified? Is it desirable to promote this on an educational platform? Aside from a small and surprisingly vocal minority, I believe most collectors, dealers and numismatists would say “no”. If it was my platform, I wouldn't allow it, and would certainly not throw my readers to the wolves if anyone like thedockter was involved. My platform means my freedom to choose who and what is promoted. If someone is rejected from my platform, they still have the freedom to run their business and find another platform. The Numismatist is not “my” platform – I'm just a subscriber – but I do have the right to share my concerns with the Editor or anyone else, for that matter.

When Forum members were documenting how thedockter took TPG-certified Details coins (previously sold at other venues, such as Heritage) and subsequently sold them raw on eBay, without disclosing their problems, no one complained that we were engaged in censorship or “cancel culture”. When we documented how the damage was consistently hidden in the eBay listing photos by overexposure and/or extreme AT, no one claimed we were being unfair. When we pointed out that the coins were not, in fact, discovered in a safe in a 200 year old store, as claimed by thedockter, no one complained that we were trying to stop him from making a living. Far from it.

I do not know if Allen Stockton is thedockter. I do know that a Forum member reported being a customer of thedockter and that he and Stockton coincidentally have the same email address. That's enough information to have a legitimate concern, even aside from the objection on principle that I discussed, previously.

• Options

@IkesT said:
    In contrast with a painting, for example, where restoring the artists' vision may be valued above absolute originality, or a car, where restoring the original function and/or appearance is valued above preserving the whole of the original, coins tend to be viewed through a different lens, where originality is favored over appearance, per se. Not always – dipping uncirculated coins to remove unattractive toning comes to mind – but we're talking about an order of magnitude of alteration beyond that: actually replacing missing pieces of a coin and re-carving missing detail.

Is it desirable to take a highly modified coin and modify it even further in order to make it look less modified? Is it desirable to promote this on an educational platform? Aside from a small and surprisingly vocal minority, I believe most collectors, dealers and numismatists would say “no”. If it was my platform, I wouldn't allow it, and would certainly not throw my readers to the wolves if anyone like thedockter was involved. My platform means my freedom to choose who and what is promoted. If someone is rejected from my platform, they still have the freedom to run their business and find another platform. The Numismatist is not “my” platform – I'm just a subscriber – but I do have the right to share my concerns with the Editor or anyone else, for that matter.

When Forum members were documenting how thedockter took TPG-certified Details coins (previously sold at other venues, such as Heritage) and subsequently sold them raw on eBay, without disclosing their problems, no one complained that we were engaged in censorship or “cancel culture”. When we documented how the damage was consistently hidden in the eBay listing photos by overexposure and/or extreme AT, no one claimed we were being unfair. When we pointed out that the coins were not, in fact, discovered in a safe in a 200 year old store, as claimed by thedockter, no one complained that we were trying to stop him from making a living. Far from it.

I do not know if Allen Stockton is thedockter. I do know that a Forum member reported being a customer of thedockter and that he and Stockton coincidentally have the same email address. That's enough information to have a legitimate concern, even aside from the objection on principle that I discussed, previously.

This is not completely true. Coins are frequently curated. Almost all ancient coins had to be brought back to life.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file