Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How long will a PCGS slab last?

CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 15, 2021 9:40AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Will the PCGS certified slabs that exist today, be trading on the market 100+ years from now?

Will the slab eventually fall apart after many, many years?

If the slab does last 100 years, will it become cloudy, and make it hard to see the coin?

If the PCGS slab does last that long, many people will probably collect the antique versions.

I know it's kind of a stupid question, but I've always wondered about this. :)

Comments

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

So just think: The PCGS slabs will probably be more of a collectible, than the coins that are in them.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

So far I haven't seen any sign that the outer plastic parts will yellow with age.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I croak I want my favorite one tucked in my pocket. That one should last quite some time.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless we discover some fantastic way to extend life well into the hundreds, I don't care! B)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the older slabs, the soft plastic ring that holds the coin can turn yellow from exposure to the sun light so that part of the slab isn't totally stable.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 100 years your eyes will become cloudy and make it hard to see the coin.
    In 100 years PCGS slabs will be bionic, with a brain interface, so you can share it with loved ones who are on your brainweb.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@clarkbar04 said:
    Get a Delorean up to 88 mph and find out!

It won't start.

They barely did when new. And when they did, they didn't run, they were so slow they walked.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have said, I'm confident that the current slabs themselves will be in perfectly fine shape 100 years from now.

If the hobby is still vibrant in 100 years, some sort of encapsulation will undoubtedly exist for the purpose of preservation. I would guess that some sort of imaging linked to a secure database would take the place of the insert as a primary means of documenting the grade and authenticity of the coin.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll look forward to that discussion in my declining years...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last 100 years? Not if my kids get a hold of 'em!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 12:35PM

@messydesk said:

@clarkbar04 said:

It won't start.

That's because you last fueled it in 1955.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

@messydesk said:

@clarkbar04 said:

It won't start.

That's because you last fueled it in 1955.

Leaded gas!! Horrible for the environment but good for valves. Let's do it.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forever. They're like Twinkies. And cockroaches. They were designed and made to survive a nuclear blast. In the future Twinkies, cockroaches, and PGCS slabs will be all that remain on Earth.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

And........Why did God create the mosquito?

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Long enough for our entire lives and way beyond that. Not something to worry about.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few from the 80's so I would say they will last longer than we will.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure if stored properly, they can last hundreds of years. Look at some of the colonial notes still in MS that survive...

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    I'm sure if stored properly, they can last hundreds of years. Look at some of the colonial notes still in MS that survive...

High quality paper, if carefully stored can last a very long time. About 17 years ago I had the chance to hold an actual page from a Gutenberg Bible. It had come from a copy that was broken up in 1922 and sold page by page. It looked like it had been printed yesterday. (It is in the collection of the Detroit Institute of Arts.)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 6:21PM

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    When I croak I want my favorite one tucked in my pocket. That one should last quite some time.

Along with a fifth of Jack Daniels and a cigar. :D

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

If kept out of UV, I would say indefinetley.

Food for thought: I am environmentally conscious, and have seen newspapers from the 50's and early 60's dug out of landfills, perfectly intact, along with other organics.

A plastic holder should last forever if kept out of the sun.

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

@CoinHoarder said:
    Will the PCGS certified slabs that exist today, be trading on the market 100+ years from now?

I will let you know,,,,,,,,,,

When my GrandFather died about 10 yrs ago I placed a PCGS MS67 1972-S Silver Eisenhower Dollar in his suit coat pocket. He is the person who got me started collecting coins.

I did the same with my father and my brother except they were raw SAE's.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

As long as you're not cremated.
    Lance.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably a long time, as long as not gassed for toning purposes.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I can think about is @crazyhounddog and his Paradise trial by fire. Suffered thru that here on CU and the holder reveals were impactful for me. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file