Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you find any D quarters salted in P quarter bank rolls? And did they look like mint set coins?

Best Answers

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

I have found one or two unc boxes that had both P & D but it is unusual.
    All were just regular business strike coins.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KeithRisk .... Welcome aboard....Depends on where you get the rolls.... From the Mint? Not likely.. From the bank? Possibly - could have been re-rolled by a customer and returned. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forums! I personally have never found a D in a new coin rolls box of P.

Also, I have found that Denver Mint coins are consistently much nicer than the Philadelphia Mint coins and do appear to be sharper and shinier.😎

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm strictly an east coaster, in boxes from the bank: never.

the use of the word "salted" would imply a conscious action.

I think if you find some in the midwest, perhaps they are from a mix from ending a bag of P/D and starting a new bag of D/P

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those would be rolls re-rolled. The mint only ships ballistic bags to the coin distribution places. These are all from the same presses and there is no mix up. Those ballistic bags are then rolled locally. Even the US mint coins are not rolled by the mint but a third party.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:
    Those would be rolls re-rolled. The mint only ships ballistic bags to the coin distribution places. These are all from the same presses and there is no mix up. Those ballistic bags are then rolled locally. Even the US mint coins are not rolled by the mint but a third party.

Quite true.

Most rollers don't empty the hoppers in between bags so getting mixed rolls isn't unusual. It's very unusual any "contaminated" rolls would be a different mint mark or PL.

I'd like to see more pictures of the D mints. They appear almost higher relief.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

The US Mint uses higher coining pressure to strike/make coins for proof and mint sets After they complete that mission/task, the coining pressure is reduced to strike coins for circulation/commerce. But I guess they made more coins for the mint sets than needed and instead of recycling those extras, they were mixed in with the commerce/roll coins. But they would recycle any other extra proofs, otherwise, we would have been finding those in our rolls.
    This was part of my reasoning in a letter I sent to them including the adverse effect their methods of manufacture of coins have had on the grading aspect of the hobby. Whether a coin came from a roll or a mint set. There was great confusion in the matter and with the population report. Surprisingly, the US Mint discontinued the manufacturing of Satin Finish coins. The timing was likely coincidental as I never received a reply from them. It's very likely they received other letters of concern.
    Interestingly enough, when they ended the satin finish coins in 2011, the grading companies also stopped calling the mint set coins (SMS or SP) regardless of their continued use of higher coining pressure and special handing for mint set coins. I don't believe mint set coins are graded anymore. The pops reveal this.
    So what are the coin collector's options? I think if they want to keep some kind of originality or similarities/likeness in appearance between the coins the collect, they should select their coins from circulation and learn how to spot a mint set coin to avoid adding it to the collection. The fact is, there are millions of collectors who don't buy US Mint products, that they collect from rolls/change. Mint set coins from 2004, I believe, will look too perfect, usually grade MS68/69. I usually say the difference is in the details of Jefferson's hair bangs for the nickels.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Answers

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon said:

Leo

Leo!!!! - I was wondering if you were still here - so nice to see you posting still. I am back after quite some time off. I call this a soft retirement.

• Options

Thank you folks for all the helpful replies. These coins came from white and orange Loomis rolls. I am posting a better pic of one of the said examples. It does look proof like to me as well. It is hard for my fairly weak camera to do the coin justice.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KeithRisk said:
    Thank you folks for all the helpful replies. These coins came from white and orange Loomis rolls. I am posting a better pic of one of the said examples. It does look proof like to me as well. It is hard for my fairly weak camera to do the coin justice.

@leothelyon said:
    The US Mint uses higher coining pressure to strike/make coins for proof and mint sets After they complete that mission/task, the coining pressure is reduced to strike coins for circulation/commerce. But I guess they made more coins for the mint sets than needed and instead of recycling those extras, they were mixed in with the commerce/roll coins. But they would recycle any other extra proofs, otherwise, we would have been finding those in our rolls.

This is probably the best guess but it does seem odd they'd end up in Philly bags. Are mint sets being assembled in Philadelphia?

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

D mint coins are much more likely to look more "prooflike" than P mint ones which will generally have a more satiny luster, in my experience.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2021 8:52AM

The mix up may occur at wherever the coins get rolled. I imagine some facilities receive coins from both mints to be rolled. And a small number may get mixed in the other as they empty the bags one at a time. All pure speculation on my part as I don't have one iota of experience or solid information from any reliable source on how they do it.
    What's really odd, the small sample that has been found is in such great condition.....that is, if a part of their journey occurred in one of those huge mint bags.

Leo

To add; the coin does look like it took a ride. :D

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file