Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Toning as Art - QC Silver Eagle sells for over $400!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 10, 2021 7:22PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This QC coin sold for $410 just now. I was surprised by the price for this. Is this normal pricing levels?

Amazing 1991-s PCGS Questionable Color Rainbow Toned Proof ASE /TrueView (gs272)

Comments

• Options

There's pretty strong demand above $200.

• Options
    edited January 10, 2021 4:10PM

I wonder what @braddick's nuclear eagle would sell for in its QC holder. It definitely needs a TrueView.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was surprised but expected it to go high once I saw it was over $100 fairly early on.

How much do you think my toning as art example would bring? :D

• Options

@Zoins said:
    I wonder what @braddick's nuclear eagle would sell for in its QC holder. It definitely needs a TrueView.

Didn't someone offer several thousand for it years ago (if I recall the thread about it)?

• Options
    edited January 10, 2021 4:21PM

@U1chicago said:
    I was surprised but expected it to go high once I saw it was over $100 fairly early on.

I just ran across it with 8 minutes to go. It was sitting at $226.66 and I was tempted to put in a bid but it wouldn't have made a difference as I wasn't going to go that high.

How much do you think my toning as art example would bring? :D

Very hard to tell from those photos but it doesn't look nearly as colorful.

• Options
    edited January 10, 2021 4:26PM

@U1chicago said:

@Zoins said:

Didn't someone offer several thousand for it years ago (if I recall the thread about it)?

Perhaps. For a short time it was on eBay in the straight-graded slab for about $2400.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2021 4:30PM

Yes, what the heck? Q. C. ? Come on. Just as U1chicago posted. What would legit toners be like, his, as well as, mine?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2021 4:33PM

@joeykoins said:
    Yes, what the heck? Q. C. ? Come on. Just as U1chicago posted. What would legit toners be like, his, as well as, mine?

I'm not generally in the market for these so I don't know. I was surprised at the price for this one.

What do you think yours and @U1chicago's would go for? Both of you may have more info than I do, which is essentially nothing ;)

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was watching it and was shocked at the closing price for a AT coin. :o

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Other than "shocked", I really don't know what to say about something like this...

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    edited January 10, 2021 5:09PM

@TomB said:
    Other than "shocked", I really don't know what to say about something like this...

I'll say great photos by Phil and Dick as usual.

It's interesting to stay up to date on where toned collecting is going.

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2021 5:03PM

Well people paid thousands for beanie babies lol!
    Honest listing.
    Note to self: there is a market for quickly rainbowed coins...I know I have a banana peel in the trash somewhere.... :wink:
    Colorized coins too (although those are "genuine")... people will buy what they like and pay for it if they love it!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@joeykoins said:

The one I posted is AT. I bought it on eBay years ago knowing what it was but finding it interesting enough to pick up. Your example is market acceptable (which is a plus) but it has less vivid color than the originally posted Eagle. So I would unfortunately expect it to go for quite a bit less than the eBay result today.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Couple of observations......
    Buyer is probably a Seller on eBay with 11296 transactions.
    Artist is watching the results of his work. There will be more coming to market.
    On the positive side, at least it was in a genuine holder with a cert beginning with 40. PCGS, apparently, has cracked down on this stuff.

• Options
    edited January 10, 2021 6:58PM

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    On the positive side, at least it was in a genuine holder with a cert beginning with 40. PCGS, apparently, has cracked down on this stuff.

I agree it's good for PCGS to recognize this.

What's interesting to me is the strong interest even after it's been noted.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

I would guess the new owner will try and take advantage of the uninformed on eBay.

• Options
    edited January 10, 2021 7:14PM

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@Zoins said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

I would guess the new owner will try and take advantage of the uninformed on eBay.

The price already seems high to me. You think it will go higher?

If it shows up on eBay again, hopefully it gets posted here for us to track it.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@Zoins said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

He's saying that the more will be made.
    If there are too many made, that will almost certainly lead to lower prices (so there is a need for a delicate approach to the supply side).

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

If people are paying $400 for a coin that is admittedly AT, then it is time for me to whip out the chemistry set. I'd sell with full disclosure.

• Options

@U1chicago said:

@Zoins said:

$5k if I recall correctly. The back story: It was originally in a PCI UNC details AT holder. It ended up in a PCGS MS69 holder before ultimately ending up in a PF details AT PCGS slab.

• Options

@braddick said:

@U1chicago said:

@Zoins said:

Took it out of its hiding and reshot it today:

Do you still have the PCI slab shots?

• Options

@U1chicago said:

@Zoins said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@Zoins said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

That's what how I interpreted the new owner will try and take advantage of the uninformed on eBay

It seems like the one making it may be the consigner but not the new owner.

If there are too many made, that will almost certainly lead to lower prices (so there is a need for a delicate approach to the supply side).

Yes, they have to be somewhat rare. The low grade ones seem to show up by the hundreds on eBay.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:
    If people are paying $400 for a coin that is admittedly AT, then it is time for me to whip out the chemistry set. I'd sell with full disclosure.

Well, they are so get that chemistry set out!

• Options

@Zoins said:

@U1chicago said:

@Zoins said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@Zoins said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

That's what how I interpreted the new owner will try and take advantage of the uninformed on eBay

What I meant is that @bolivarshagnasty was saying that the consignor will be making more of these since he saw the high final price. I doubt the new owner will make any money (unless there is someone even more enamored with this Eagle, which I think is unlikely but isn't impossible).

• Options

@U1chicago said:

@Zoins said:

@U1chicago said:

@Zoins said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@Zoins said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

What I meant is that @bolivarshagnasty was saying that the consignor will be making more of these since he saw the high final price. I doubt the new owner will make any money (unless there is someone even more enamored with this Eagle, which I think is unlikely but isn't impossible).

I was implying that the new owner will list it on the bay for moon money and downplay the QC designation. The original artist will see this and make more.

• Options

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@U1chicago said:

@Zoins said:

@U1chicago said:

@Zoins said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@Zoins said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

I was implying that the new owner will list it on the bay for moon money and downplay the QC designation. The original artist will see this and make more.

I see that now (after rereading your post).
    I could see the new owner listing it for moon money, but I doubt that will influence the original artist. The $410 auction result is already enough motivation for the artist to make more.

• Options
    edited January 10, 2021 7:51PM

@U1chicago said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@U1chicago said:

@Zoins said:

@U1chicago said:

@Zoins said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@Zoins said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

I could see the new owner listing it for moon money, but I doubt that will influence the original artist. The $410 auction result is already enough motivation for the artist to make more.

The interesting thing is that no deception is needed at the $400+ level.

Remember when people made more white coins because others paid more for them? I wonder when it will swing back the other way or if it will?

• Options

@Zoins said:

@U1chicago said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@U1chicago said:

@Zoins said:

@U1chicago said:

@Zoins said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@Zoins said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

The interesting thing is that no deception is needed at the $400+ level.

Remember when people made more white coins because others paid more for them? I wonder when it will swing back the other way or if it will?

The result was interesting and I agree that there was no deception (the coin is in a details questionable color holder and no one made a case for it being natural). Some might argue that it is wrong to do something like this to a coin but I'm not one of those people (as long as the coin is properly described as AT/QC if raw or is properly graded as QC Details by the TPGs).

In regards to the second point, I'm not sure if it will swing back to a majority preference for blast white in the near term unless there is a big scandal related to toners (i.e. info comes out about an easy and quick way to produce high end natural colors).

• Options

In regards to the second point, I'm not sure if it will swing back to a majority preference for blast white in the near term unless there is a big scandal related to toners (i.e. info comes out about an easy and quick way to produce high end natural colors).
    In which case I’ll be screwed. 😭

• Options

@bolivarshagnasty said:

A bunch of people would be screwed as there are quite a few of us that have paid strong premiums for toned coins (me included). I don't think we will see a major scandal, so we are safe for now.

• Options
    edited January 10, 2021 10:56PM

@U1chicago said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

A bunch of people would be screwed as there are quite a few of us that have paid strong premiums for toned coins (me included). I don't think we will see a major scandal, so we are safe for now.

The other thing is that, while I've seen a lot of AT, I haven't seen a lot of nice AT which leads to strong results like this when it happens.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@U1chicago said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

The other thing is that, while I've seen a lot of AT, I haven't see a lot of nice AT which leads to strong results like this when it happens.

That’s a good point. Occasionally there are nice looking AT coins and those tend to do well.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find it amazing that people will pay for this stuff.... But then, I found it amazing that people paid hundreds, and yes, thousands of dollars for beanie babies. I know, people can spend their money however they want to.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well there you have it.... not @ricko approved. :D

• Options

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose I should throw mine up and see where it lands! :D

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

yuck, im just not into that type of toning, jmo of it

• Options

Here is one I used to own but sold for too little (given the new "market")

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

Black eye for our hobby.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@Catbert said:
    Black eye for our hobby.

At this point, our hobby has had one eye completely poked out and skewered on a stick.

• Options
    RedStormRedStorm Posts: 221 ✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    Black eye for our hobby.

More like black, blue with a little iridescent purple and a hint of green eye for the hobby...

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

The market will determine how relevant or valuable this era of artificial or accelerated toning, whatever you want to call it will become.

It may take awhile, just as blast white dipping of mid 19th early 20th century coins waned. Dealers and collectors now know this was not a permanent trend, the same may happen.

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

Maybe they are buying coins and not holders?

• Options
    edited January 12, 2021 2:46AM

@stockdude_ said:
    Maybe they are buying coins and not holders?

I think they are buying the holder too. Even though it's QC, it's still PCGS with a TrueView. QC holdered coins seem to go for much higher than what the coin would sell for raw.

I think this is like people modding cars. Ever see a Mansory Ferrari? Some people love them while others think they are abominations. I'm guessing a Mansory mod would prevent Ferrari Classiche Certification.

• Options
    edited January 11, 2021 8:21PM

@Catbert said:
    Black eye for our hobby.

Perhaps two black eyes then.

One for making white coins, the other for making non-white coins?

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    Black eye for our hobby.

Probably a rainbow eye. Just sayin'...

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@U1chicago said:
    Here is one I used to own but sold for too little (given the new "market")

Agree. This one looks like it could sell for a healthy amount in the "new maraket" if you got a TrueView for it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file