Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Carson City Trade Dollar medal from Intaglio...

jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 28, 2021 1:39PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm a big fan of this company... they have some really really nice 2 ounce silver rounds. This was released today. I picked up a few normal and a few antiqued. They had about 100 in stock earlier, and it's down to 16, last I looked. Just thought I'd give a heads up for those that may be interested.
https://limitedmintage.com/product/libertas-americana-medal-tribute-2-troy-ounce-39mm/

Comments

• Options

Well, sold out now. Hopefully some of you got some! They will hopefully have more in stock soon.

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

glad I got one when I did

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arggghhhhhhhh. Come on back now.
    That said, dig it and as JWitten said, great rounds.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nicely executed. I got on the waiting list for this piece. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2021 3:19PM

I ordered it antiqued
    I always wanted one and this will do me just fine

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:
    I got one of each. Do we know if they will be minting more? Or is I limited ?

Glad to hear it Stef!

Can't wait to see your pics :)

• Options
    edited January 9, 2021 5:25PM

@jwitten said:
    I'm a big fan of this company... they have some really really nice 2 ounce silver rounds. This was released today. I picked up a few normal and a few antiqued. They had about 100 in stock earlier, and it's down to 16, last I looked. Just thought I'd give a heads up for those that may be interested.

Mark Bogani and Tony Grat also put out a lot of original designs but I don't see a lot of the posted or discussed. The tribute rounds seem to have the most interest here.

Anyone collect their original designs?

• Options

@coinsarefun said:
    I got one of each. Do we know if they will be minting more? Or is I limited ?

from my experience with their site over the past several years, they will be minting more - make sure you sign up for a reminder and they'll holler when more are avail

• Options
    edited January 9, 2021 5:48PM

Saint Eligius> @ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@Zoins said:

Mark Bogani and Tony Grat also put out a lot of original designs but I don't see a lot of the posted or discussed. The tribute rounds seem to have the most interest here.

Anyone collect their original designs?

I really liked the saint of numismatics series - kind of fell of a cliff since the st eligius medal, but asked them if they'll be picking the series back up in 2021 and they said they would be

The Saint Eligius medal is a very nice one!

• Options

esp the 5 oz 😎 @Zoins

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    esp the 5 oz 😎 @Zoins

Nice!

I wish Mark and Tony would publish the designers and sculptors for their pieces but I haven't seen any information yeet. Anyone know who designs and sculpts their pieces?

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    esp the 5 oz 😎 @Zoins

Nice!

I wish Mark and Tony would publish the designers and sculptors for their pieces but I haven't seen any information yeet. Anyone know who designs and sculpts their pieces?

I agree. I remember Ron telling me he did a few for them.Can't remember which tho'

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2021 6:25PM

@jwitten said:
    "I'm a big fan of this company... they have some really really nice 2 ounce silver rounds."

As am I. I have the octagonal Pan-Pac $50 and the Walking Liberty 50c. They do some outstanding work.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

They do some very nice work.... I have signed up for their Bacchus Wine series.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back up again if interested.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options

99 in stock 👀

• Options

I was able to pick up a couple that looks like there’s about 60 left so I will leave the rest for all of you! Really beautiful piece and I imagine it will be as stunning as all the other items I have from that Mint.

• Options

OK, my two stunning chunky Libertas monkeys just arrived in the mail.
    Big, bold and well executed Silver!
    And by the way, super fast shipping and well packaged, I would say. And who doesn’t love the design?!

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just ordered 2 antiqued finish and now there are 58 pcs in stock.

They must have restocked.

GrandAm :)
  • Options

@MilesWaits said:
    OK, my two stunning chunky Libertas monkeys just arrived in the mail.
    Big, bold and well executed Silver!
    And by the way, super fast shipping and well packaged, I would say. And who doesn’t love the design?!

photos? 👀😀

• Options

Anyone know the max mintage of these?

• Options

@GRANDAM said:
    Anyone know the max mintage of these?

Most of their stuff has no limit. BUT most of the nice stuff is almost always out of stock. I have some for sale in the bst right now of some of those. I wish they would go the Daniel Carr route and make more limited pieces. I was able to snag two of a 10 limit piece they did.. will try to post some pics when I get home.

• Options

Dang you @jwitten,,,,,,,,,, in addition to the (2) Libertas I also ordered (3) Antiqued BigFoot and (4) Mercury Dime silver pcs.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in stock now ... GO! GO! GO!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the heads up. Got my order in :)

• Options
    edited January 15, 2021 8:53AM

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    got it this morning - even more beautiful in-hand

They look nice but I just noticed that not only do they not say who does their engraving, they removed Dupre’s Name! As someone who loves giving artists their due, that’s not very cool :(

I wasn’t going to say anything...until this, but I’ve heard concerns from current artists working with them as well....

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

They look nice but I just noticed that not only do they not say who does their engraving, they removed Dupre’s Name! As someone who loves giving artists their due, that’s not very cool :(

Interesting... I wonder if they removed it when they removed the ground from the design and forgot to put it back.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@Zoins said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

I wasn’t going to say anything...until this, but I’ve actually heard concerns from current artists working with them as well....

I seem to remember reading a complaint a couple years ago too, but can't remember exactly what it was.

• Options
    edited January 15, 2021 9:06AM

@jwitten said:

@Zoins said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

I wasn’t going to say anything...until this, but I’ve actually heard concerns from current artists working with them as well....

I seem to remember reading a complaint a couple years ago too, but can't remember exactly what it was.

One concern I heard both directly and from someone else that posted it here is from a prominent engraver who is celebrated here with threads and posts on his own work. He's perhaps the most celebrated engraver of our time.

These people aren't sculptors themselves and tend not to give credit to their artists. Because of this modern practice, and the concerns I've heard, I'm more concerned about them removing artist names from pieces they are copying.

Others, like those that do fantasy overstrike coins, will go out of their way to maintain the original artists initials and names.

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    https://limitedmintage.com/product/libertas-americana-medal-tribute-2-troy-ounce-39mm/

Wow....someone else starting a thread about the Libertas Americana medal, and not me!

I see that only 34 are in stock now. 4 days ago there were 99 in stock. @jwitten, Limited Mintage should hire you for their advertising! I thank you for mentioning that they were released on January 8th, so we know they were struck in 2021! I must say, as a "tribute" issue, the quality is quite superb!

The last dated "tribute" issue was struck in 2008 by the Hamilton Jewelry, to celebrate the 225th anniversary of Elias Boudinot's designation of Princeton as the nation's capital.

350 of the these were struck, and they are still available on the Hamilton Jewelry website.

• Options
    edited January 15, 2021 9:14AM

@cardinal said:
    The last dated "tribute" issue was struck in 2008 by the Hamilton Jewelry, to celebrate the 225th anniversary of Elias Boudinot's designation of Princeton as the nation's capital.

350 of the these were struck, and they are still available on the Hamilton Jewelry website.

Nice piece. Here's information from Hamilton Jewelers which mentions the original was done by Esprit-Antoine GIblein and Augustin Dupre.

The Libertas Americana Medallion

This is a reproduction of the Libertas Americana medallion, which was produced in 1783 and presented in Princeton by Benjamin Franklin to Elias Boudinot, commemorating the designation of Princeton as the nation's capital. Considered the most elegant of all American medals. Libertas Americana ("American Liberty") celebrates America's Revolutionary War military victories, specifically the British surrenders at Saratoga (1777). Benjamin Franklin conceived the idea, as a private project to enhance Franco-American goodwill. A preliminary sketch was drawn by painter Esprit-Antoine GIblein, and the dies were engraved by Augustin Dupre. The medals were struck at the Paris Mint in 1783, with two specimens struck in gold for presentation to the King and Queen of France. A few others were struck in silver, and the rest in copper. A re-strike in limited quantities was done by the Paris Mint in 1976 to commemorate the U.S. Bicentennial. Hamilton workshops faithfully re-created the design of the original medal, the only exception being the designation "Tribute to 1783 Princeton, NJ 2008" on the front of the medal. We chose to strike the medal in nickel over copper. Each piece is signed Hamilton and numbered from 001 thru 350.
    [...]
    $40.00

I'm less concerned about this piece which also doesn't have Dupre's name because this is a one off while the company here is in the business of making reproductions.

I hope they put Dupre's name back on future versions.

• Options

love the discussion - some important points - devil's advocate: maybe they made the decision not to include DUPRE. F as that could possibly be read as an attempt to counterfeit the orig --- not saying any collector would make that mistake in distinction, but maybe some sort of regulatory agency might? dunno

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very popular design.

Folks will probably be able to buy newly manufactured copies forever, as long as the insatiable demand is there, the items will be cranked out in endless supply.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

I will say, I comPLETEly agree w others; they need to credit their talented engravers

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting about these, I just ordered 2 :)

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, thanks @cardinal for posting this. Got my order in.

• Options
    edited January 15, 2021 1:57PM
  • Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting this! Just got my order in as well (for an antiqued version) :) Looks like a fantastic piece.

• Options

Here's a contemporary medal:

• Options

@cardinal said:

>

Here's a contemporary medal:

thank you! prefer that double bust - awesome to see the medals these moderns are based off of

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah the contemporary is better. seeing the 2 together, I'd pass on the tribute.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    yeah the contemporary is better. seeing the 2 together, I'd pass on the tribute.

Yes, the contemporary is better, but it's like 300 times what the tributes go for!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file