Home U.S. Coin Forum

Strange Coin

Can someone help me with what I have found. A new collector.

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, glue or some other resin.

Soak it in acetone, it'll probably come right off.

It's not an error. It's just one cent.

Welcome to the forum.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glue, as above

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome!

As above ... the coin is the result of some cents "glued" together and then separated.

Since you are a "new collector" ... stick around and ask lots of questions ... there is lots of sound collecting advice on the Board.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

glue and a clamp

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Parking lot find?

Vplite99
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

Use acetone so that the anticipation doesn't kill you. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Erickwills .... Welcome aboard... Yep... I agree with the above assessments... glue... soak in acetone... agitate a bit, it will all come off. Good pictures... Cheers, RickO

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glue

• ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

For what it's worth to you @Erickwills I've been at this for over a decade and it took me a while to get to the same conclusion as the others - it's glue. It's not a dumb question at all.

I think key to the examination of a potential error like this is to try to answer the question "How could this happen during the minting process?" Looking at one side of the coin it initially appears to have been struck through a fragment that had been previously struck. As soon as I got to the point of noting it was on both sides of the coin, the chances of it having been struck through a fragment on both sides at the same time becomes nearly impossible.

Enjoy the hunt!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file