Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ultra Weakly Struck Coins (at what point are they considered errors?)

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

So this Walking Liberty half dollar is weakly struck, especially so in the center. It is otherwise blemished free. I sent it to PCGS where it received the MS60 grade. I suppose a coin this weakly struck, although mintstate, will never do better as far a grade goes.

Do you have any ultra weakly struck coins that you like!?

peacockcoins

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always disliked weakly struck coins. Is the next trend in collecting going to be an attempt to classify them as "errors" and hype them accordingly? I hope not.

All glory is fleeting.
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2021 5:43AM

They may well be classified as errors, that doesn't mean anyone will care.

I mean a 5% off-center strike or misaligned die would technically be an "error", but who collects them? I think it is more common to see a Roosevelt dime that is slightly off than one that is well centered.

Die chips are "errors" and/or "varieties", how often will someone pay a premium?

Minor die cracks? Worn dies? Plating bubbles?

Heck, strike doubling is a more unique error than hub doubling since it is different from coin to coin, but who cares?

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2021 5:38AM

That grade is 1/2 strike / 1/2 ugly.

There are lots of reasons details can be faint. Planchets, die prep, strike pressure and more.

By the way, did you try submitting it as an error?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A weak strike (such as the OP) is an appearance that makes me 'walk on by'... I just do not care for it. If indeed it is a 'weak strike', then certainly, it technically is a mint error. However, much like other minor variances, it is unlikely to ever attract a premium. For those who study the minting process in detail, it is interesting though. Cheers, RickO

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    I always disliked weakly struck coins. Is the next trend in collecting going to be an attempt to classify them as "errors" and hype them accordingly? I hope not.

Very thought provoking statement 291. Very interesting. Something to think about.

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2021 9:03AM

The 1940-s has been called the "worst struck of all the Walking Liberty Half Dollars". That one in the OP has got to be one of the worst of the worst.

It took me some time to find a '40-s with a good strike, strong hand and thumb and clear deep gown lines.

What's on the obverse?

I assume something got in the way of the die?

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, this is a very rare Shield Cent Die Adjustment Strike Error Coin.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

To answer the OP's question, they're considered errors if they're die adjustment strikes. If they're just horribly weak strikes like the 40-S half, then they're nothing special. On reeded edge coins, die adjustment strikes typically don't have very clear reeds.

• MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    To answer the OP's question, they're considered errors if they're die adjustment strikes. If they're just horribly weak strikes like the 40-S half, then they're nothing special. On reeded edge coins, die adjustment strikes typically don't have very clear reeds.

“Die adjustment strike” is just a blanket term for a weak strike or low pressure strike. There is no way to prove whether a coin is actually a die adjustment (“set-up strike”) with very few exceptions.

It comes down to the severity of the weakness and how common that level of weakness is in a particular series or even a specific date/mm. And I think the OP is inquiring where to draw the line.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

For clarification:
    1- I don't think, even if a consensus is reached, weakly struck coins are mint errors; I don't believe they are special as such and worthy of a premium. I have a couple of coins I wish were NOT errors (slightly off-center)!
    2- I didn't send the 40-S in under the error tier as I simply liked the look of the coin and wanted it graded. The strike is so weak I figured PCGS would either not grade it or would give it a simple MS grade. PCGS chose the latter.
    3- Die Adjustment coins are in a whole other league and deserve prime status among error coins (IMHO).

peacockcoins

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldenEgg said:

@messydesk said:

“Die adjustment strike” is just a blanket term for a weak strike or low pressure strike. There is no way to prove whether a coin is actually a die adjustment (“set-up strike”) with very few exceptions.

It comes down to the severity of the weakness and how common that level of weakness is in a particular series or even a specific date/mm. And I think the OP is inquiring where to draw the line.

So, other then a die adjustment strike. What could cause such a weak strike like that cent. Just curious. Thanks.

• MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinJP said:

@GoldenEgg said:

@messydesk said:

So, other then a die adjustment strike. What could cause such a weak strike like that cent. Just curious. Thanks.

I’ll add a link to error-ref as the description provided there (presumably written by @errormaven) is well described.

http://www.error-ref.com/weak_strikesinsufficientrampressure/

There are two main causes: poor die spacing and low striking pressure, both of which can be caused by various malfunctions within the press.

The bottom line is, in manufacturing, there are a million ways things can go wrong!

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're considered (financial) errors once you purchase them. :o

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the link GoldenEgg!

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    No, this is a very rare Shield Cent Die Adjustment Strike Error Coin.

Ah, yes. Much clearer.

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

To answer the other question the OP had, yes, this seated half is one that I enjoy. At first glance it has that No Stars look to it, which I really like.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file