Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

PCGS "First Strike" vs "First Day of Issue"

I spoke to a PCGS rep asking to change my label to FDOI from FS. I was told FDOI label is reserved only for companies that send coins over in bulk, ie >100. She said there is no way I can get the FDOI label on my coin. Is this true?

Comments

  • JonJetJonJet Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited January 4, 2021 9:01PM

    The designations are different...and I would assume the PCGS Rep cited the pertinent rule...

    The PCGS First Strike program designates coins issued in the first 30* days of the Mint's release. This designation not only adds value to modern coins, but takes modern coin collecting to another level with multiple Mint releases each year.

    Coins with a “First Day Of Issue” or “Early Release” designation always demand a higher premium. In order to secure yourself a “First Day Of Issue”, you must purchase your coin on the day it is released from one of the United States Mint locations.

    So the difference being...if Your coin was not proven to have been purchased on the date the US Mint released the coin...You coin does not meet the criteria for FDOI

    However...if Your coin was presented to PCGS for grading within 30* days of issue...it would qualify for the First Strike label...which it seems to have

    Provide proof of purchase from the US Mint on Issue Day and You'll have reason to request the label change...

    Otherwise...the FS label is the best You can get

  • I purchased the coin on the first day of issue. Overall my experience with PCGS has been pretty poor. Difficult to contact via phone or email, misinformation, etc. I wanted them to relabel it while they still had the item in hand. Now I'm responsible for shipping it back to them and waiting another 5 wks for "express" service?

  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 734 ✭✭✭✭

    @JonJet said:
    The designations are different...and I would assume the PCGS Rep cited the pertinent rule...

    The PCGS First Strike program designates coins issued in the first 30* days of the Mint's release. This designation not only adds value to modern coins, but takes modern coin collecting to another level with multiple Mint releases each year.

    Coins with a “First Day Of Issue” or “Early Release” designation always demand a higher premium. In order to secure yourself a “First Day Of Issue”, you must purchase your coin on the day it is released from one of the United States Mint locations.

    So the difference being...if Your coin was not proven to have been purchased on the date the US Mint released the coin...You coin does not meet the criteria for FDOI

    However...if Your coin was presented to PCGS for grading within 30* days of issue...it would qualify for the First Strike label...which it seems to have

    Provide proof of purchase from the US Mint on Issue Day and You'll have reason to request the label change...

    Otherwise...the FS label is the best You can get

    as "Joe Friday" would say "just the facts mam, just the facts"
    nicely answered :)

  • @JonJet said:
    The designations are different...and I would assume the PCGS Rep cited the pertinent rule...

    The PCGS First Strike program designates coins issued in the first 30* days of the Mint's release. This designation not only adds value to modern coins, but takes modern coin collecting to another level with multiple Mint releases each year.

    Coins with a “First Day Of Issue” or “Early Release” designation always demand a higher premium. In order to secure yourself a “First Day Of Issue”, you must purchase your coin on the day it is released from one of the United States Mint locations.

    So the difference being...if Your coin was not proven to have been purchased on the date the US Mint released the coin...You coin does not meet the criteria for FDOI

    However...if Your coin was presented to PCGS for grading within 30* days of issue...it would qualify for the First Strike label...which it seems to have

    Provide proof of purchase from the US Mint on Issue Day and You'll have reason to request the label change...

    Otherwise...the FS label is the best You can get

    Thanks for the response. Can you cite where you found this information? I don't see it on the PCGS website. I spoke to the rep again and they said I should email them where I'm finding this.

  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 734 ✭✭✭✭

    @goldenboy101 said:

    Thanks for the response. Can you cite where you found this information? I don't see it on the PCGS website. I spoke to the rep again and they said I should email them where I'm finding this.

    https://www.pcgs.com/firststrike
    and for FDOI look down to the middle of the page to see requirements, ignore that this is for a particulate series coin. It applies to all FDOI coins!
    https://www.pcgs.com/news/pcgs-revises-guidance-for-first-day-of-issue-presidential-dollars

  • @WAYNEAS said:

    @goldenboy101 said:

    Thanks for the response. Can you cite where you found this information? I don't see it on the PCGS website. I spoke to the rep again and they said I should email them where I'm finding this.

    https://www.pcgs.com/firststrike
    and for FDOI look down to the middle of the page to see requirements, ignore that this is for a particulate series coin. It applies to all FDOI coins!
    https://www.pcgs.com/news/pcgs-revises-guidance-for-first-day-of-issue-presidential-dollars

    It mentions FDOI is available for bulk submissions in the link you sent. I had a single coin submission. So this means I'm excluded or do you see something that can help me? Thanks

  • JonJetJonJet Posts: 100 ✭✭

    @goldenboy101 said:

    @JonJet said:
    The designations are different...and I would assume the PCGS Rep cited the pertinent rule...

    The PCGS First Strike program designates coins issued in the first 30* days of the Mint's release. This designation not only adds value to modern coins, but takes modern coin collecting to another level with multiple Mint releases each year.

    Coins with a “First Day Of Issue” or “Early Release” designation always demand a higher premium. In order to secure yourself a “First Day Of Issue”, you must purchase your coin on the day it is released from one of the United States Mint locations.

    So the difference being...if Your coin was not proven to have been purchased on the date the US Mint released the coin...You coin does not meet the criteria for FDOI

    However...if Your coin was presented to PCGS for grading within 30* days of issue...it would qualify for the First Strike label...which it seems to have

    Provide proof of purchase from the US Mint on Issue Day and You'll have reason to request the label change...

    Otherwise...the FS label is the best You can get

    Thanks for the response. Can you cite where you found this information? I don't see it on the PCGS website. I spoke to the rep again and they said I should email them where I'm finding this.

    Google results

  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I suggest that you believe PCGS and accept the fact it will not get graded FDOI unless submitted in bulk.

    National Commemorative Medals of the U.S. Mint:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/alltimeset/195526

  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

    PCGS does a great job overall maintaining the integrity of their FS and FDI labels. Chris, who runs bulk, takes great pains in ensuring all of the rules are followed meticulously on these designations. I know this first hand!

    Just my 2 cents.

    Wondercoin

    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
Sign In or Register to comment.