Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CAC Gold Stickered prices

2»

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

It assumes there is a standard distribution of grades as well. I’m sure there is no way to verify that. If it was standard then a minimum of 50% would likely end up beaned. If they went for upper end only (gt 1 stdev) it would only be 16% that would bean.

• Options
    cccoinscccoins Posts: 287 ✭✭✭✭

Did the op mean 55 or 58? I see lots of discussion on 58 vs. 63, but not much on 55 vs. 63.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cccoins said:
    Did the op mean 55 or 58? I see lots of discussion on 58 vs. 63, but not much on 55 vs. 63.

I think poster Cougar1978 went off course almost immediately with the 58 grade, so other posters started talking about it too. ;)

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cccoins said:

I meant 55

• Options

@chesterb said:

@cccoins said:

I meant 55

If you are talking 55 to 63, CAC gold or not, I can’t see getting close to 63 money.

The question this thread begs for me is: should pricing of coins follow ascending numeric order, i.e. 55, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63..., or should it follow an order closer to 55, 60, 61, 58, 62, 63...?

• Options

@cccoins said:

@chesterb said:

@cccoins said:

I meant 55

If you are talking 55 to 63, CAC gold or not, I can’t see getting close to 63 money.

The question this thread begs for me is: should pricing of coins follow ascending numeric order, i.e. 55, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63..., or should it follow an order closer to 55, 60, 61, 58, 62, 63...?

It depends on the coin and the value spread between grades. For example, check out AU55 to MS63 common date Saint prices in the PCGS price guide.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck getting crazy premiums on these when you go to sell or resell them. Smart buyers will take the gold sticker under consideration like a better date $20 gold piece in EF45 I probably got 53 money for; I saw it as a 55. If it is not in the right holder it is hard to get the money grades.

• Options

@MFeld said:
    It depends on the coin and the value spread between grades. For example, check out AU55 to MS63 common date Saint prices in the PCGS price guide.

I see about $75 between VF uncertified and certified 63 at the place I use as a reference.

However, I was thinking more along the lines of a scarcer date coin, like an 1875, 76, 82 cc $20, which is available, but carries more of a collectors premium.

• Options

@cccoins said:

@MFeld said:

I see about $75 between VF uncertified and certified 63 at the place I use as a reference.

However, I was thinking more along the lines of a scarcer date coin, like an 1875, 76, 82 cc $20, which is available, but carries more of a collectors premium.

Understood. Since the OP didn’t specify the coins he was speaking of, there’s no way to know if the asking prices were reasonable, absurd or somewhere in between.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2021 8:02PM

I don’t see premiums on US growing lol bc of stickers unless some end user binge when I have won (auc) low pop world coins (single or double digit) many early 20th century for what it would cost 2 people go out to dinner for.

Are the bids in the sheet for US going up 10 pct a week or more? No that hasn’t happened in what decades?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    SSRSSR Posts: 235 ✭✭✭✭

pics to help

www.paradimecoins.com - Specializing in Top Pop Type PCGS CAC coins. Subscribe To Our NEWPs Mailing List

• Options

The coin was probably seen as an AU58 by cac, not as Unc.. Also very weird that graders and finalizer thought that 53 was the right grade on that premium looking coin.

• Options

@logger7 said:
    The coin was probably seen as an AU58 by cac, not as Unc.. Also very weird that graders and finalizer thought that 53 was the right grade on that premium looking coin.

I don't think it's weird. Based on the images, the coin looks very attractive, but AU55, at best, to me.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/20675011

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld are you seeing 5 points of wear or a weak strike? Seems tough to tell from those pics.

• Options

Has cac considered superlative toning a basis for a grade bump, as NGC was known to do more than PCGS?

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:
    My favorite part of reading through CAC threads is getting a couple dozen different interpretations of what a sticker signifies...

The magic bean can mean whatever you want it to mean. >:)

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chesterb said:

@CoinJunkie said:
    My favorite part of reading through CAC threads is getting a couple dozen different interpretations of what a sticker signifies...

The thread was about gold stickers but I’m really confused as to what the green sticker signifies now! :s

It means the coin has been blessed by the coin gods and been "saved."

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chesterb said:

@MFeld said:

@chesterb said:

@Crusty said:
    In addition to my Seated dollar sets... I’m putting together a subset of Liberty Seated Dollars with gold CAC stickers. For the crowd who think I’m crazy for paying up for them.... Please find me one and cash in.

This is an interesting post to me. I can see having a few coins here or there with a gold sticker but in this instance Crusty is focusing on the entire series with gold stickers. I'm not arguing but that doesn't make sense to me. It seems to me that coins with gold stickers means that someone has a different opinion on the grade and you're paying up for that person's opinion. Why not collect coins with green stickers which means it's high end for the grade and, presumably, everyone agrees originally on that grade? Maybe I'm reading to much into it.

Green stickers don’t necessarily indicate that a coin is “high end for the grade” in CAC’s opinion. And certainly, not “everyone” will agree with a particular grade.

I don't understand. I thought that was the whole purpose of CAC was that within each grade there are coins of low to high quality and they pick the ones that are high quality for the grade. Is that assumption not correct?

I believe the criteria for a green bean is that the coin's grade is solid for the posted grade. Quoting from the CAC website it says, "verified as meeting the standard for strict quality within its grade."

thefinn
  • Options

@scubafuel said:
    @MFeld are you seeing 5 points of wear or a weak strike? Seems tough to tell from those pics.

I only have the pictures to go by, but it looks like light wear to me.

• Options

@logger7 said:
    Has cac considered superlative toning a basis for a grade bump, as NGC was known to do more than PCGS?

I don’t know about CAC, but I think PCGS and NGC are very much in step with respect to grade bumps for “superlative toning”/eye appeal.

• Options
    SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:

@SIowhand said:
    This was on my radar but with a week to go, is already at what I would call silly money. It’s already over AU50 price and I’d >bet it gets owner 2k when done.

Thank You Slowhand.
    We actually have a real coin to talk about now rather than a sticker

(I'm out because I don't know Libs :/ )

2643 with buyer fee.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:

@SIowhand said:
    This was on my radar but with a week to go, is already at what I would call silly money. It’s already over AU50 price and I’d >bet it gets owner 2k when done.

Thank You Slowhand.
    We actually have a real coin to talk about now rather than a sticker

(I'm out because I don't know Libs :/ )

Went for over AU58 money.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SSR said:
    pics to help

Y’all still have that? I remember it on eBay.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    SSRSSR Posts: 235 ✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 this beauty is no longer with us unfortunately! We sold this to a toned coins aficionado.

www.paradimecoins.com - Specializing in Top Pop Type PCGS CAC coins. Subscribe To Our NEWPs Mailing List

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file