Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

5oz silver US mint quarters going forward?

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that the ATB series is ending in early 2021, does anyone know if they will continue to make the pucks? I looked at the mint site and didnt see anything about it going forward with the new quarter releases. Sorry if this has already been posted.

Comments

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RedStorm mentioned the bill calls for them to continue in this thread. I haven't read up on it myself, but you might find the answer you need there.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    RedStormRedStorm Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2021 12:44PM

Below is the language from the 2020 Coin Redesign bill that authorizes 5 oz quarters and half dollars. Note, however, the ‘Crossing the Delaware’ quarter is not part of this bill, so a 5 ouncer for that coin is not certain. (EDITED TO ADD: @cagcrisp posted there is separate legislation authorizing 5 oz Delaware Xing quarters)

One interesting thing is the bill authorizes “Fractionals” so the Mint is authorized and may decide to make one ounce versions of the quarters and halves for example as the one ounce blanks and presses would be readily available from the ASE program.

Also for reference, where the bill refers to quarters and half dollars in subsections x, y, and z. The x are the women’s history coins, the y are the 250th anniversary of independence coins, and the z are the sports coins. This whole program runs through 2030.

“(u) Silver Bullion Investment Product.—

“(1) IN GENERAL.—The Secretary is authorized to strike and make available for sale such number of bullion coins as the Secretary determines to be appropriate that feature the designs of the quarter dollars and half dollars issued under subsections (x), (y), and (z), that—

“(A) have a diameter of 3.0 inches and weigh 5.0 ounces;

“(B) contain .999 fine silver;

“(C) have incused into the edge the fine­ness and weight of the bullion coin; and

“(D) bear an inscription of the denomination of such coins, such denominations to be determined by the Secretary as the Secretary determines to be appropriate.

“(2) FRACTIONALS.—The Secretary is authorized to mint and issue so-called ‘fractional’ silver bullion coins bearing the designs of the quarter dollars and half dollars issued under subsections (x), (y), and (z) in sizes, weights, fineness, and denominations, and with inscriptions, that the Secretary determines to be appropriate.”

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2021 10:09AM

@RedStorm said:
    Below is the language from the 2020 Coin Redesign bill that authorizes 5 oz quarters and half dollars. Note, however, the ‘Crossing the Delaware’ quarter is not part of this bill, so a 5 ouncer for that coin is not certain.

Too bad the Crossing the Delaware puck isn't mentioned, but I still have hope.

Does this mean there are going to be 5 oz half dollars, or am I reading it wrong?

• Options

@Zoins said:

@RedStorm said:
    Below is the language from the 2020 Coin Redesign bill that authorizes 5 oz quarters and half dollars. Note, however, the ‘Crossing the Delaware’ quarter is not part of this bill, so a 5 ouncer for that coin is not certain.

Does this mean there are going to be 5 oz half dollars, or am I reading it wrong?

Yes on the half dollars for five ounces but with a catch, subsection x (the women’s coins) appear to only be for quarters and that program runs first. So half dollars with new designs potentially only start in 2026 with the semiquincentennial coins and then continue with the sports coins. At least that is my read of the bill...

• Options
    edited January 3, 2021 10:24AM

@RedStorm said:

@Zoins said:

@RedStorm said:

Yes on the half dollars for five ounces but with a catch, subsection x (the women’s coins) appear to only be for quarters and that program runs first. So half dollars with new designs potentially only start in 2026 with the semiquincentennial coins and then continue with the sports coins. At least that is my read of the bill...

I'm now waiting for the all 5 oz coin mint sets ;)

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@RedStorm said:

General Washington crossing the Delaware River prior to the Battle of Trenton coins were authorized in the Same legislation that authorized the America the Beautiful coins (PUBLIC LAW 110–456—DEC. 23, 2008 )

IF the United States Mint so chooses, they Can mint a 5 oz. General Washington crossing the Delaware River...

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

@Zoins said:

@RedStorm said:

General Washington crossing the Delaware River prior to the Battle of Trenton coins were authorized in the Same legislation that authorized the America the Beautiful coins (PUBLIC LAW 110–456—DEC. 23, 2008 )

IF the United States Mint so chooses, they Can mint a 5 oz. General Washington crossing the Delaware River...

I'm a big fan of the design so I hope they do it.

It would be great to see the original Flanagan obverse on a 5 oz puck too.

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

as far as the fractional issues, would be super cool to see a 1, 2 & 5 oz set

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure I understand the rationale or need for a 5 oz bullion product. Weren't the ASE 1 oz coins enough for bullion stackers?

• Options

cool story bro

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2021 9:53PM

Do people really collect these as collectibles as opposed to just bullion? I'm sincerely curious. Ditto for first spouse gold.

• Options

yes - you'd be surprised at prices for bullion pucks [both us and world] on the secondary market - the uk queens beasts bullion 10 oz monsters are selling for 2x and some even 3x issue price - I don't need to understand it to appreciate it and take advantage of it

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2021 10:19PM

I collect the pucks @cameonut2011. Name any object and somebody collects it. Even non-objects.

There are people who "collect" old advertising that was painted on the sides of buildings. Faded to a shadow of of their original glory and getting harder to find. How do they collect? Photographs. Or old English Mail Boxes. In England of course.

I remember a kid, about 12 or so, who collected vacuum cleaners. Quite knowledgeable with a rather large collection going back to some of the original late 1800's hand pumped models.

Pucks aren't so unusual.

I'd get a Washington Crossing the Delaware 5 oz'er, medal or coin.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not collect the 5oz or 3oz..... however, the Washington crossing the Delaware might get my money. Cheers, RickO

• Options

[a set of all 57 coins is nearly 20 lbs of silver 😎]

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

For what it's worth, the law to issue the Woman's quarters was NOT signed into law and expired at the end of the 116th Congress at 11:55 am on 3 Jan 2020.

So at present, the Washington Crossing the Delaware quarter is the coin of the realm for the future.

Obviously subject to change based on what the Congresscritters do this year.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2021 4:11AM

@BStrauss3 said:
    For what it's worth, the law to issue the Woman's quarters was NOT signed into law and expired at the end of the 116th Congress at 11:55 am on 3 Jan 2020.

So at present, the Washington Crossing the Delaware quarter is the coin of the realm for the future.

I was thinking it’s still alive as the president has 10 days to sign it and, if he doesn’t, if the Congressional session has ended, it would then be dead as a “pocket veto”. However, I’m not sure, it’s been a long time since I watched Mr. Bill and Schoolhouse Rock...! 😉

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RedStorm said:

However, I’m not sure, it’s been a long time since I watched Mr. Bill and Schoolhouse Rock...! 😉

Was that a request? LOLhttps://youtu.be/FFroMQlKiag

Then if you have a spare minute....https://youtu.be/JUDSeb2zHQ0

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    [a set of all 57 coins is nearly 20 lbs of silver 😎]

How much would they weigh with all the OGP? :)

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my favorite schoolhouse rock...

https://youtu.be/pSANTRnEBgg

My understanding is that the house and senate bills were very close but not exact so they needed to reconcile those before being sent to be signed.

• Options

Correct. The Senate version included the no cost to the government clause, so it was returned to the House which approved it and it was presented to the President on 1/1/2021.

When Congress adjourned the 116th session for the last time, all unsigned bills died.

However, the LOC site is reporting the 1921 dollar act was signed... must have been before the session ended.

https://www.congress.gov/search?q={"source":"legislation","congress":"116","bill-status":"president"}&pageSort=latestAction:desc&searchResultViewType=expanded

-----Burton
  • Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    It would be awesome to have a 2021 Crossing the Delaware puck.

Do Not ask for a Link or a Source because there are NONE, however, the Mint has No Current plans on making a 5 oz. puck of Washington crossing the Delaware...

• Options

• Options

@TurtleCat said:
    This is my favorite schoolhouse rock...

https://youtu.be/pSANTRnEBgg

My understanding is that the house and senate bills were very close but not exact so they needed to reconcile those before being sent to be signed.

I must say, the ending to that was an uncanny prediction of current events...! 😳

• Options

@RedStorm said:

@BStrauss3 said:

I was thinking it’s still alive as the president has 10 days to sign it and, if he doesn’t, if the Congressional session has ended, it would then be dead as a “pocket veto”. However, I’m not sure, it’s been a long time since I watched Mr. Bill and Schoolhouse Rock...! 😉

Me and Mr. Bill were right, the President was able to (and did) sign it. Mr. Bill is now a Law!

• Options

If somebody wanted to file a lawsuit challenging the law they could and I still believe they would win.

-----Burton
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr. Bill?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

I have a pretty good collection of these both graded and not. I’m curious what the reduced montage of the last few coins will do to the previous keys like Hawaii?

• Options

hawaii is such an incredible reverse design

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:
    Do people really collect these as collectibles as opposed to just bullion? I'm sincerely curious. Ditto for first spouse gold.

Every year so far I’ve ordered my favorite design straight from the mint.. Afterwhile storing becomes an issue. It has boxes to take up a lot of space.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

with the new women's suffrage series we'll see 5oz silvers for a long while

plus they seem to sell what they do make right now

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

LAW
    22. H.R.1923 — 116th Congress (2019-2020)
    Circulating Collectible Coin Redesign Act of 2020
    Sponsor: Rep. Lee, Barbara [D-CA-13] (Introduced 03/27/2019) Cosponsors: (168) Committees: House - Financial Services | Senate - Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
    Latest Action: 01/13/2021 Became Public Law No: 116-
    331. (All Actions) Tracker:

This bill has the status Became Law

Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:

Introduced Passed House Passed Senate Resolving Differences To President Became Law

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/1923/actions?q={"search":["coin"]}&r=22&s=2

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I do not collect the 5oz or 3oz..... however, the Washington crossing the Delaware might get my money. Cheers, RickO

I agree I have the painting! Emanuel Leutze!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file