Home U.S. Coin Forum

Wonky flea market find

Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Poking my hand thru mounds of bits and pieces of stuff at a local flea market, I came across a dirty flip holding a 1888 IHC with a notation "Found in water at Niagara Falls when damn was built". Of course I had to connect the dots. The Falls monument opened in early 1880's, dam project was in 1961. Coin is VG at best but I'm gonna dip it in acetone and whip out my CPG. And I'm gonna put it back in that flip. Happy New Year everyone. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Comments

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat!

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    Neat!

:)

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went to the falls in 1968 when it was 'shut-off', ostensibly to clean out the massive rock pile at the base of the falls. You were able to walk around on the river bed at the top of the falls. I found a lot of nails and polished glass, but someone beat me to any coins.
    In the end, they left the rocks at the base as it was decided they were necessary to slow the further crumbling......

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat find.... Probably a lot more down there.... Cheers, RickO

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find. Those staples have rusted in a way to almost match the color of the cent. Staples must of been in there for quite some time.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebeav Nice, did you see any early detectorists there? So, I'm gonna consider this to have been a make a wish/ good luck cent. I like that. Have a good day. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Poking my hand thru mounds of bits and pieces of stuff at a local flea market, I came across a dirty flip holding a 1888 IHC with a notation "Found in water at Niagara Falls when damn was built". Of course I had to connect the dots. The Falls monument opened in early 1880's, dam project was in 1961. Coin is VG at best but I'm gonna dip it in acetone and whip out my CPG. And I'm gonna put it back in that flip. Happy New Year everyone. Peace Roy

In my opinion you would be very foolish to clean or even remove the coin from the 2x2.

The only provenance that coin has is in the holder and patina. If you mess with either then that is destroyed.

If you want a clean coin then buy one. Let a history buff have this one.

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    @thebeav Nice, did you see any early detectorists there? So, I'm gonna consider this to have been a make a wish/ good luck cent. I like that. Have a good day. Peace Roy

I didn't notice anyone detecting, but there had to be a TON of coins there at one time.........There were a lot of little crevices and jagged surfaces where stuff could live.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file