116 stamps on my recent purchase. I gotta admit, its a personal best for me. :D

Comments

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

80% of face?

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s classic!
    I’m surprised they accept them- all stacked over each other like they are!
    Giving me ideas for my volumes of low denomination stamps! ;-)

I’ve actually had some stuff I’ve mailed returned to me with the stamps ripped off! Lol
    Some people thinking they’re actually worth something.
    Yep, deep discounts to face most of the time if converted to cash- for the common stuff.
    How’s THAT for a return on one’s investment after 50 some years? Thankfully it wasn’t mine.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

I'd be afraid to use it on an important item, lest the Post Office pull it for inspection, there's insufficient postage that results in it being delayed/returned/dead-lettered, it gets kicked-out by a machine, or it just pisses-off someone in the USPS who has to handle/deliver it......... :o

I'd DEFINITELY use it for everyday mailings, etc............. might even spark interest in collecting among the masses.

That said, I have received several such "loaded" mailers in the past from fellow Forum members, and actually get a kick out of seeing them! :)

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve done that a few times with uncancelled stamps. I didn’t have that many, though, and I didn’t overlap. That is pretty impressive!

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2020 11:11AM

116 stamps and 18 minutes of licking. :p:p:p

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t see any cancel marks, I’d use them again. (Just kidding I ain’t that cheap)

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Post Office actually encourages the use of those stamps :)

By Anne Murray, Postmaster Ft Myers/Cape Coral
    Richard Barber, OIC Naples

Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Naples, FL — Now that postage has increased to 44 cents for a one-ounce, First-Class stamp, what should you do with all those unused stamps? The answer is simple—use them! The value of the stamp will always be the value indicated on the stamp. All you need to do is purchase additional value stamps (likely 2-cent stamps) and use both on your envelope.

The U.S. Postal Service has earned
    eight consecutive EPA Waste Wise
    Program Partner of the Year awards.
    Now’s the time to sort through all those unused stamps that have been accumulating in a box or drawer. You can use them any time. Any combination of stamps may be used in meeting the postage requirements. You may think it looks “tacky” to have a variety of stamps on your envelope, ** but the Post Office encourages you to utilize all the stamps you have**.

And if you should happen to find any of those non-denominational A-H stamps that were issued a number of years ago, here’s the letter, the year it was issued, and its value: A, 1978, $.15; B, 1981, $.18; C, 1981, $.20; D, 1985, $.22; E, 1988, $.25; F, 1991, $.29; G, 1994, $.32; and H, 1998, $.33. A one-cent makeup stamp (a weathervane) was also issued in 1998.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:
    Overlapping stamps is asking for trouble...

1.7 Position of Stamp on Mailpiece
    Stamps must be affixed firmly in the upper right corner of the address side of the mail cover. Any stamp partly concealed by an overlapping stamp may not be counted as postage.

Not counted as postage ? I guess I could use them again.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Elmhurst said:
    80% of face?

Not anymore. Lucky to get 65% of face if you're selling it. Most dealers are buying at 40% of face.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's pretty impressive. I've done a little of that, and having inherited a lot of unused but otherwise uninteresting postage I should probably do more, but it's never occurred to me to get quite that busy with it.

mirabela
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had quite a few stamp collections on parcels before, D. Carr anyone? But not like that! No cancellation stamps either... as mentioned previously.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to clarify, it is illegal to reuse stamps - postmarked or not - that have already been used as postage.

Stamps on a letter delivered to you but not postmarked? Illegal to reuse.

Stamp on a letter that was never mailed? OK to reuse.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer but the preceding is merely my educated understanding. Hire a lawyer if you need legal advice. :*

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

A local stamp dealer (yes, there are a few left) uses huge amounts of "discount" postage on the many packages he sends out. However, he never overlaps the stamps as he is aware that can be asking for trouble from a regulation aware postal clerk.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Elmhurst said:
    80% of face?

Not anymore. Lucky to get 65% of face if you're selling it. Most dealers are buying at 40% of face.

Most on eBay seems to be priced between 70% and 80% of face. 65% is the lowest I've regularly seen when I've searched for "discount postage" but if you're lucky, occasionally it can be found for half off.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! Neat to look at though.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Elmhurst said:
    80% of face?

Most on eBay seems to be priced between 70% and 80% of face. 65% is the lowest I've regularly seen when I've searched for "discount postage" but if you're lucky, occasionally it can be found for half off.

Depends on the mix. That envelope was all 5 centers. I can usually get close to 70% for better mixes on eBay, but it isn't a fast mover at that number...and that's with free shipping, as well.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Depends on the mix. That envelope was all 5 centers. I can usually get close to 70% for better mixes on eBay, but it isn't a fast mover at that number...and that's with free shipping, as well.

Exactly. Lower denominations = bigger discount. I was just looking, and bought a group at 65% of face that includes 1c to 29c. There's another lot for sale at 55%, but I don't need $1,000 face of stamps right now.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone bought stamps off Ebay ? Did they charge sales tax? I believe USPS stamps are not taxable.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

@ajaan said:
    Has anyone bought stamps off Ebay ? Did they charge sales tax? I believe USPS stamps are not taxable.

Just did. Yes, I was charged sales tax.

Order total

Subtotal $74.00
    Shipping $4.00
    Tax $4.44
    Total $82.44

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@ajaan said:

Just did. Yes, I was charged sales tax.

Order total

Subtotal $74.00
    Shipping $4.00
    Tax $4.44
    Total $82.44

Did more research, they aren't taxable if bought from the USPS. They are taxable if bought from another seller.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

@ajaan said:
    Did more research, they aren't taxable if bought from the USPS. They are taxable if bought from another seller.

That was the impression I got from a brief internet search. The prospect of saving four dollars (and change) at the cost of spending more time investigating wasn't inviting enough to proceed any further.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I asked one of my local postwomen and they said that the didnt even count to see if its correct!

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

Sooooooooooo............ if you buy a bunch of discounted stamps off eBay, does the seller usually load up the outside of the mailing envelope/box with lots of old stamps as well, or use metered postage? :o

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just buy the 'Forever' stamps.... Use them until gone and buy more. I mail cards mostly... When I get 'strange' stamps (usually from another country), I give them to a friend who collects them. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Deeper discounts on postage can sometimes be found in auctions, particularly stamp auctions. Besides denomination, sheets and large blocks will bring more than singles, as they are easier to use.

Yes, reusing postage is illegal but selling "uncancelled stamps" on Ebay at a deep discount isn't.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

@DBSTrader2 said:
    Sooooooooooo............ if you buy a bunch of discounted stamps off eBay, does the seller usually load up the outside of the mailing envelope/box with lots of old stamps as well, or use metered postage? :o

I've sold close to $100k in postage on eBay over the past 20 years. Almost all of it used eBay labels.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s awesome. I have to think even the postal workers get a laugh out of it.

• Options

I was at an estate sale and it had a stamp collection for sale. I passed it by when another person there walked up to the person taking money and asked if the stamps were still good to use for postage. The lady said yes and this person bought three binders of stamps for something like $10.

NOW, I will check if there are stamps at estate sales and if they have a bunch I will plan to buy them.

If people want to give money away, you should take it.

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m down to using my Zeppelin sheets. 🤣

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBSTrader2 said:

The ones I receive tend to be heavily decorated.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2021 6:50AM

I bought five sheets of the Albert Gallitan 1 1/4 Cent stamps when I was a kid collector....and still have them. A real deal at a buck and a quarter back then.....just looked now and the sheet sells for $9. My grandmother collected, I have sheets of 3 Cent commems from the 40s

• Options
    edited January 2, 2021 7:47AM

@ambro51 said:
    I bought five sheets of the Albert Gallitan 1 1/4 Cent stamps when I was a kid collector....and still have them. A real deal at a buck and a quarter back then.....just looked now and the sheet sells for $9. My grandmother collected, I have sheets of 3 Cent commems from the 40s

Good luck getting the $9. Most of the eBay sales are at $3 per sheet + $3 shipping. I tear up the Gallatin sheets and use them for postage. If I were to get $6 on eBay, it would cost me $4-$5 to ship it (needs cardboard to protect) and $1 in eBay fees.

• Options
    edited January 2, 2021 7:52AM

Well....let’s see, sell something I bought and kept since 1967? I just never think “that way”. Sentimentality, to me, is the core of why you “keep things”. I remember buying those sheets with “lawn mowing money”. I tried to get the 1/2 Cent Franklins too, but they didn’t have any.

• Options

@ambro51 said:
    Well....let’s see, sell something I bought and kept since 1967? I just never think “that way”. Sentimentality, to me, is the core of why you “keep things”.

I'm not telling you to sell it. You mentioned the alleged sale price. I just mentioned that those sheets also count as "discount postage" these days.

I think stamps are loads of fun. But I also recognize they are a sinking ship.

• Options

I’ve actually been toying with the idea of putting together the set of Confederate stamps. Just the basic issues n used condition, if possible.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file