Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Your favorite 1972 In Action and Pro Action cards.

Comments

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I completed 1st and 2nd series about a year ago.
    and only Steve Owens from the 3rd.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

really nice cards!

• Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

Paul, Great cards!! Congratulations!!

@PaulMaul said:

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last one....I promise 😁

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

I enjoyed those as a kid, but always preferred the regular cards with great action shots. The Marichal is probably my favorite, but still not are awesome as his 74 Topps card! It was odd that they only did this 1 year with the special subset, but when you look at those regular sets, it makes sense. They withheld the action shots from the base set to create the subsets. The 70s are loaded with great action shots on cards already, across all of the sports. I for one am glad they didn't subset all the great action shots in multiple years.

One additional thought, the players of the 50s-60s really got cheated, or the fans did I should say. There are not a lot of great action shots for an entire generation of players. I guess it came down to having an image of a player you could recognize.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m predictable.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@DBesse27

Nice Yaz!

Have you noticed that the back of the normal ‘72 Yaz card is always tilted? Much like the Fisk rookie. I still haven’t pulled the trigger on either of those because the backs always annoy me.

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Outstanding photos of the cards PaulMaul

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

Griese, Csonka, Greenwood (all from that same game at the Orange Bowl), Unitas, Brodie and Roman Gabriel are all really cool. As loath as I am to say something nice about him, the Staubach card is a terrific action shot.

I wish they had featured IA cards of Cepeda and/or Carty. I do really like this one.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2020 8:11PM

Unopened form..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:
    I enjoyed those as a kid, but always preferred the regular cards with great action shots. The Marichal is probably my favorite, but still not are awesome as his 74 Topps card! It was odd that they only did this 1 year with the special subset, but when you look at those regular sets, it makes sense. They withheld the action shots from the base set to create the subsets. The 70s are loaded with great action shots on cards already, across all of the sports. I for one am glad they didn't subset all the great action shots in multiple years.

One additional thought, the players of the 50s-60s really got cheated, or the fans did I should say. There are not a lot of great action shots for an entire generation of players. I guess it came down to having an image of a player you could recognize.

I loved the Yaz and Torre puzzle on the backs of the IA cards. It made going out to buy more packs fun, to complete those puzzles. Having just a regular one card action card in a set wouldn’t allow for the puzzle back. It would have a stat back. OPC hockey had some neat puzzles on the back of all star cards from those years also.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dave, the eye appeal on that PSA 4 Bench IA is tremendous. I see the bottom right corner, but I'm guessing there's a bend somewhere that doesn't break the card surface like a crease would or that would be an easy PSA 6.

• Options

@nam812 said:
    Dave, the eye appeal on that PSA 4 Bench IA is tremendous. I see the bottom right corner, but I'm guessing there's a bend somewhere that doesn't break the card surface like a crease would or that would be an easy PSA 6.

Totally agree, and is Barry Bonds the batter on that card ?

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

@mrmopar said:

I loved the Yaz and Torre puzzle on the backs of the IA cards. It made going out to buy more packs fun, to complete those puzzles. Having just a regular one card action card in a set wouldn’t allow for the puzzle back. It would have a stat back. OPC hockey had some neat puzzles on the back of all star cards from those years also.

I was not old enough/collecting then to buy the 72 cards. My first exposure to puzzles were the Star Wars cards and the Fleer stickers that had a shot of the stadium on their backs. I recall enjoying the puzzles somewhat, but given the choice though, i'd personally much rather have had action cards in a base set and leave the subsets for things like Highlights. record breakers, turn back the clock, playoffs, etc.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

@Goldenage said:

@nam812 said:

Yes, Bobby Bonds, you can see his number 25 on his batting glove.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

@Goldenage said:

Yes, Bobby Bonds, you can see his number 25 on his batting glove.

Barry no, Bobby yes.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:

Thanks. That card was originally an SGC 8 and I cracked it out and it came back a PSA 4. I was hoping for a PSA 7. So in my infinite wisdom I cracked it out a second time sent it in again. This time it came back PSA 2.5. I still have not been able to figure why such a low grade. I am obviously missing something for it to come back twice with low grades. Here is the same card.

• Options

Wow. An SGC 8 to a PSA 4 to a PSA 2.5.

Obviously too many Dodger fan graders at the Beach. Lol

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:
    Wow. An SGC 8 to a PSA 4 to a PSA 2.5.

Obviously too many Dodger fan graders at the Beach. Lol

Maybe I can get it down to a PSA 1 or 1.5 if I keep at it. Luckily this has been my only major debacle with cracking and resubmitting. I have done many others that have turned out very well for me.

• Options
    mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

I put the entire 1972 Topps In Action subset together in PSA 9. Something about those cards I always liked. Some are very tough in 9.

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

1972 Stargell IA. Bought it raw on ebay. Graded out as a PSA 10-1 of 2 at the time. Sold it for four figures.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

@mrmopar said:

Me too! I own a high grade PSA copy of the Yaz IA card, but I also own all the raw cards needed to complete a raw Yaz puzzle. 1968 and 69 puzzles too.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mphilking said:

Great card!

Another great card.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ArtVandelay said:

Nice

• Options

Is anyone looking for commons for this set. I have an entire box filled with hundreds from this set. Happy to trade for anything Boston (Celts, Pats, Sox) and not looking for much in return. I'd prefer these go to a collector that wants to complete a set or get some graded.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never owned one but I have always liked the Dick Butkus Pro Action card.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

• Options

Butkus is crushing the head of a running back from Green Bay.
    Perfect card for Butkus.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you combine great action shots with great card design, you hit a homerun. Sad Topps lost such momentum after this issue.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

@Nathaniel1960 said:
    When you combine great action shots with great card design, you hit a homerun. Sad Topps lost such momentum after this issue.

The question that begs to be answered is why didn’t the 72 football do a Yaz or Torre like puzzle back on their Pro Action cards.