Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Modern Commemorative Appreciation Thread

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 14, 2021 8:16PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm a fan of modern commemorative silver dollars with nice / interesting toning.

Here are two of mine.

Post any that you have here :)

1983-P Los Angeles XXIII Olympiad Silver Dollar

1989-S Bicentennial of the Congress Silver Dollar

Comments

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t have one but I sure dig that Congress obverse.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Congress buck is gorgeous! Looks like there's a bright sun in those clouds!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:

Really like the Buff. Has what seems to me a nice golden brown tone.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2020 7:15AM

Another from the Los Angeles Olympiad - the coliseum - I like the marble effect

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a fun niche and there have been some nice examples shared so far. In particular I like the Jefferson @coinsarefun posted. I do not have one to share but as a fan of toners in general, I'm looking forward to seeing these.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the silver Buffalo and the Law Enforcement Memorial coins.... I do not recall having any other commemorative dollars.... Oh yeah... The Marine Corps commemorative dollar....I have that one also .... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    I have the silver Buffalo and the Law Enforcement Memorial coins.... I do not recall having any other commemorative dollars.... Oh yeah... The Marine Corps commemorative dollar....I have that one also .... Cheers, RickO

And all three are WILD toners, I'm sure :D

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE .... Not even a hint of tarnish..... :D Which is why I did not bother with pictures...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    This is a fun niche and there have been some nice examples shared so far. In particular I like the Jefferson @coinsarefun posted. I do not have one to share but as a fan of toners in general, I'm looking forward to seeing these.

The nickel on steroids.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

@Barberian said:

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

The nickel on steroids.

Haha, yes. That rendering of Monticello is really quite nice. I've never looked at that reverse in detail until now. It's also interesting how different the bust looks from the the one on the nickel — I'm sure there is a story behind that.

• Options
    edited May 14, 2021 8:18PM

@NotSure said:
    Just the one, but I love it....the gold periphery has gotten deeper and lovelier, and the purples have popped nicely.....

Incredible color on that one @NotSure! I'm a big fan :+1:

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

1983-2007

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

@metalmeister said:
    1983-2007

Incredible collection @metalmeister ! The silver dollars series are one of my favorites!

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2021 12:13PM

These ones are not toned, but I like the way they look in pictures. These are mainly some of my old auction pictures I took of modern commemoratives that I sold on eBay and Overstock about 15 years ago. I found that the more focused the pictures were, the higher the bids went. I then used the profits to buy older coins for my long term collection.
    But when I look at the pictures, I kind of wish I had been able to afford to keep them too 🌞

Mr_Spud

• Options

These were also auction pictures that went along with the close ups. The packaging was important too to get high bids 🌞

Mr_Spud

• Options

@Mr_Spud said:
    These were also auction pictures that went along with the close ups. The packaging was important too to get high bids 🌞

Nice photos and presentation!

The packaging is definitely important for display and to give as gifts. I know people with these in their living room curio cabinets!

• Options
    edited May 15, 2021 10:07AM

And these pictures, from the same coins, were just for fun 🌞

Mr_Spud

• Options

@Mr_Spud said:
    And these, from the same coins, were just for fun 🌞

Love this image!

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes I like mod Commems they are popular in mkt and super deal.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

Remember that Star Trek episode where John Luke Picard went back in time and helped the Wright Brothers invent airplanes..... just kidding, but I just realized how much one of the images on this coin looks like Picard 😉
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/0d/3mgs4yaflyih.jpeg

Mr_Spud

• Options
    edited January 30, 2023 11:15PM

Some strong color on this one.

Slab photo courtesy of Dempsey and Baxter (dempseyandbaxter)

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, so how did these modern coins get toned?

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2023 12:12PM

I like mod Commem silver dollars. They are a super deal vs Classic generic dollars which can have much higher pops plus popular sellers for me from my table at shows. Once one gets over $100-$300 (what I call the habitable zone) many coming into bourse room simply priced out. We are in tough times / survival trumps hobby spending.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2023 10:27AM

No toning but I love the symbolism on this one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file