Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Greatest Unintentional Mint Varieties

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 30, 2020 6:07PM in U.S. Coin Forum

What are the most famous, most exciting, and most desired of the Mint's unintentional released varieties.

These are exciting coins that can be found in change.

The following are ones that stand out for me.

1955 DDO Cent

The Mint identified these errors, but too late as they had already shipped many of them!

2000-P Cheerios Dollar

These were originally shipped in Cheerios cereal boxes but weren't identified until many years later, after many had been spent.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

1913 Liberty Nickels?

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2020 7:07PM

The handful of coins where the mint marks have been left off, 1982 no P dimes, various no S proof coins, etc.

The biggest one I think of might be the 1937D 3-legged buffalo though.

• Options
    edited December 30, 2020 7:10PM

@erwindoc said:
    The handful of coins where the mint marks have been left off, 1982 no P dimes, various no S proof coins, etc.

God knows how many millions of no mint mark coins are out there. Most years, you would never have known.

• Options

@erwindoc said:

Why is the Buffalo bigger than the 1969-S DDO or the 1975-S no S?

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's much more famous. My grandmother played a card game called Pokeno that used nickels with a group of half a dozen other ladies 60 years ago. Even those ladies knew to keep an eye out for the "3 legged" nickel.

• Options

@koynekwest said:
    It's much more famous. My grandmother played a card game called Pokeno that used nickels with a group of half a dozen other ladies 60 years ago. Even those ladies knew to keep an eye out for the "3 legged" nickel.

More famous is different than "bigger". And you'd have to throw the 55 DDO in with the 3-legged as "famous".

• Options
    edited December 30, 2020 7:33PM

"Bigger" and "Biggest" are ambiguous and is an invitation to more discussion, which of course is a good thing :)

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    1913 Liberty Nickels?

I wouldn't think of those as unintentional

• Options

Unintentional as in they didn't think of it the way we do today but not an error or unplanned.... strawberry leaf large cent.

• Options
    edited December 30, 2020 7:38PM

@TurtleCat said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    1913 Liberty Nickels?

I wouldn't think of those as unintentional

Well, they were unintentional from the Mint's standpoint since there is no record of them ever having been struck. ;)

Most famous case of "shenanigans". 1958 DDO would be another case of probable shenanigans.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anyone says shenanigans one more time ...

https://youtu.be/Ok85BmPyl_I

• Options

1943 copper cent and 1944 steel cents would be up there on my list of unintentional coins that may have been totally accidental.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2020 9:19PM

https://www.silvertowne.com/p-24640-silvertowne-now-in-possession-of-a-very-rare-wartime-nickel-known-as-the-frith-nickel.aspx

The Frith 1942-S Nickel nickel. The 1942-s's were all supposed to be of the silver composition with a big mm above Monticello. This one has the s to right as in pre- and post-war years. I think it is still the only one known.

• Options

@koynekwest said:
    This one comes immediately to mind. It makes big news whenever one is found.
    @erwindoc said:

Agree this is a popular one and one to hunt for!

Here's one from Gerald Forsythe:

1937-D Buffalo Nickel - 3 Legs - FS-901 - PCGS MS66+ POP 3/0 - Gerald Forsythe Specimen

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2020 3:31AM

The 1918/7-D nickel, 1918/7-S quarter and 1942/1 and 1942/1-D dimes come to mind.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    The 1918/7-D nickel, 1918/7-S quarter and 1942/1 and 1942/1-D dimes come to mind.

Were varieties like that unintentional? Or was it a standard part of reusing old dies?

• Options

@Zoins said:

@PerryHall said:

Were varieties like that unintentional? Or was it a standard part of reusing old dies?

If it were standard practice during the 20th century we would be seeing a lot of other overdates. These overdate coins have one thing in common---they were made during the early years of WWI and WWII when many mint employees went off to war and their jobs were backfilled with employees new to the job.

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:

My wife and I were just talking about Pokeno the other night. I used to play this with my Mother all the time😂🤣

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@Zoins said:

@PerryHall said:

If it were standard practice during the 20th century we would be seeing a lot of other overdates. These overdate coins have one thing in common---they were made during the early years of WWI and WWII when many mint employees went off to war and their jobs were backfilled with employees new to the job.

Makes sense. Thanks!

• Options

The 1983 copper cent is another good one.

• Options

@TurtleCat said:

Did someone already mention the 1943 copper cent? Would this be considered an off-planchet mint error or a variety or both?

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@TurtleCat said:

Did someone already mention the 1943 copper cent? Would this be considered an off-planchet mint error or a variety or both?

I did further up. That’s what got me thinking of the 1983 cent. It’s definitely an error but it’s also a kind of type.

Maybe the original sensation of large and small date 1960 cents would qualify. They originally denied any difference in styling but had to admit it when presented with facts. Insane prices as well when first discovered.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2020 7:06AM

I love multi-Mint Over Mint Marks The 1875 S/CC being the king IMHO

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about the Sac. Washington mules ?

• Options
    AlanLastufkaAlanLastufka Posts: 188 ✭✭✭✭

@Tom147 said:
    What about the Sac. Washington mules ?

I really want one of those, but one collector bought up the majority of all known examples.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

IIRC upwards of 60 K

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sure wish I still had the two '55 DDO's I had a kid.... They were both bright red.... My Mom used to say they made her dizzy when looking at the date.... Disappeared sometime after I joined the Navy. :'( Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file