Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1916 1C anything good?

I am not a coin guy. I am into paper. I did buy a deal with a bag of wheat pennies. I’ve been looking them over. This one really stands out. I did a little research and did see that this date can bring some money. I’m sure there’s a reason.
Is this anything?

Comments

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your avatar looks good but the pics are too blurry to grade. If I squint my eyes I see MS64 which is priced at 115.00.
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1916-1c-rd/2488

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fields are odd and Lincoln's nose is not the right shape. I suspect it is a recent counterfeit.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if the owner believes this might be a proof?
    (In my opinion, it is not.). For mintstate I'd give it an MS grade yet potentially cleaned.

Here is a genuine proof (vs business strike).

peacockcoins

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2020 4:22PM

The pictures aren’t clear enough for me to tell whether the coin is almost uncirculated or low grade mint state, though I suspect the former. Based on what I can see, my guess is that it’s worth less than $20.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the counterfeit camp.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

The rim looks suspicious and the obverse and reverse, very different from one another. Hopefully, better pictures can be provided.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

The rim looks suspicious and the obverse and reverse, very different from one another. Hopefully, better pictures can be provided.

And look at the "Liberty"

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I can’t tell what’s distortion and what’s really there (or not).

• Options

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I can’t tell what’s distortion and what’s really there (or not).

Agreed

• Options
    SnapsSnaps Posts: 187 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like Lincoln has no neck. I think the coin is a fake also.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely need better pictures.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    Endeavor1967Endeavor1967 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

Cmon fake?
    No it’s not fake.
    It’s very much real. I will make another attempt at pictures.
    I am not here trying to sell it. I have no reason to show you a fake penny.
    If it is fake by chance it would be odd to be in a bag of about 200 other wheatback pennies I know things get rough on this forum but please don’t make any assumptions.
    Here are pictures from a different background. I have the iPhone 12 pro series. It’s supposed to take amazing pictures. Let’s see if I can figure this out.

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

@Endeavor1967 said:
    Cmon fake?
    No it’s not fake.
    If it is fake by chance it would be odd to be in a bag of about 200 other wheatback pennies I know things get rough on this forum but please don’t make any assumptions.
    Here are pictures from a different background. I have the iPhone 12 pro series. It’s supposed to take amazing pictures. Let’s see if I can figure this out.

Looks AU details cleaned to me if real. It looks a bit sus so I’ll leave it to the more experienced members to determine it’s authenticity as I don’t have the best track record...

• Options

@Endeavor1967 said:
    Cmon fake?
    No it’s not fake.

No one said or implied that you’d knowingly display a counterfeit example or are trying to sell the coin. There are many occasions when someone posts a coin, which, unknown to them, is a copy.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

From your second set of photos the coin looks to be an AU coin with some possible cuts or heavy scrapes. Good coin for an album but only worth two or three bucks at most.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@Endeavor1967 said:
    Cmon fake?
    No it’s not fake.

You're not a coin guy, remember?

There are a lot of fakes out there. You could easily have accidentally acquired one. You can actually buy complete date sets of them from aliexpress.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Reproduction-USA-Small-Cents-1916-P_1600079087848.html

• Options

Still something odd about the rims. Misaligned die?

• Options

I totally agree about the rim. It’s super wide. Then almost has an inner circle. The background is definitely a matte finish not smooth which is what made me consider posting it. I think the AU grade is fair. There are actually some pretty good
    dates in this lot.
    Are any pennies from the 1950’s worth anything? There is one in a paper stapled holder that has a $40 price tag but these coins haven’t seen the light of day in 20-30 years.
    Besides the double die?

• Options

• Options

still doesn't look quite right to me.

• Options
    edited December 30, 2020 7:41PM

@Endeavor1967 said:
    I totally agree about the rim. It’s super wide. Then almost has an inner circle. The background is definitely a matte finish not smooth which is what made me consider posting it. I think the AU grade is fair. There are actually some pretty good
    dates in this lot.
    Are any pennies from the 1950’s worth anything? There is one in a paper stapled holder that has a $40 price tag but these coins haven’t seen the light of day in 20-30 years.
    Besides the double die?

Only if it's a high grade specimen. $40 is too much for a 50's cent. If the seller thinks it's worth 40 then he has most likely assigned a price according to grade. The problem with that scenario is you still have to have it graded for 40 bucks for a coin you might sell for 25.00 that you now have 80 into. The only way you win there is if, A: You don't mind spending 40 and put it in an album to enjoy it or B: The seller under graded it, it's actually a MS67 and worth a couple hundred.

• Options
    edited December 30, 2020 7:49PM

@Endeavor1967 said:

Besides the double die?

Yes, many (most) the Philly minted coins from the 1950's are worth several hundred to several thousand in MS67RD condition. MS66RD usually sell for under $100, MS65 and under $5 or $10 bucks for some of the dates.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

@Endeavor1967 Try backing the phone off to about 20" or so then enlarge the screen slightly before you click. This might help with a clearer pic.

• Options

Okay. I’ve got one more I would like to know about. Actually about 20 more but I will post one more and I will back up as you suggested.

• Options

Okay last one.
    1939 looks like it’s uncirculated to me but I am a newbie.
    So from the images is this a good coin with any value?

None of these coins have been tampered with. Is it acceptable in any way to dip or somehow remove any surface discoloration?

• Options

The 1939 is a spender, that date comes very nice and there are thousands already graded at the MS66/MS67 levels. No dipping copper is a big no-no, if you have any green gunk or slime a bath in acetone is the only option.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

@Endeavor1967 said:
    Okay last one.
    1939 looks like it’s uncirculated to me but I am a newbie.
    So from the images is this a good coin with any value?

None of these coins have been tampered with. Is it acceptable in any way to dip or somehow remove any surface discoloration?

The coin is worth roughly 3 to 5 cents and it’s generally not advisable to dip or clean copper coins.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Endeavor1967....You have excellent input on your cents... and your pictures have improved. That certainly is an amazing serial number on that $50 bill....I be the currency forum would like to see it. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I am going to put that $50 up for sale in the BST. It’s not in my wheelhouse but I like to wheel and deal like everyone else here. It makes me a little money to buy fir my collection.
    I don’t really know if there is anything really good. It’s tedious going through them all. I was going to count them all up and just put them on the BST as a group at a fair price and let someone else see if there are any winners. Lots of wheat backs from the teens and twenties. Kind of a mixed bag. I know what I paid. I was going to add a little and let them go.
    So if someone is interested shoot me a pm and I’ll give them first crack including the coins I have already shown. There is also a novelty penny that’s been stretched that says 1933 worlds fair Indian villages. I don’t know if that has value.
    I just don’t have time to take images of them all. It’s around or over 100 wheatbacks. One is a 1955 but I don’t think it’s a double die.
    Someone might get lucky.

• Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    The 1939 is a spender, that date comes very nice and there are thousands already graded at the MS66/MS67 levels. No dipping copper is a big no-no, if you have any green gunk or slime a bath in acetone is the only option.

I have a question posted in the Q&A section regarding cleaning PVC/Verdigras on copper coins using acetone. Can you tell me how you go about this? Old Lincoln cents, some with the green stuff and some with a greasy slime from improper storage in the old soft flips. Appreciate it as I have been trying to find information on this but not much luck - acetone cleaning of copper cents. Thanks.

• Options

@59Horsehide said:

@coinbuf said:

I have a question posted in the Q&A section regarding cleaning PVC/Verdigras on copper coins using acetone. Can you tell me how you go about this? Old Lincoln cents, some with the green stuff and some with a greasy slime from improper storage in the old soft flips. Appreciate it as I have been trying to find information on this but not much luck - acetone cleaning of copper cents. Thanks.

I gave you as much info as I know/have on using acetone on your Q&A thread.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

I gave you as much info as I know/have on using acetone on your Q&A thread.

Really appreciate your comments; clearly written and very thorough. Thank you for taking the time to help me out. Tomorrow is "Hit 'em with Acetone Day" :)
    Jim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file