Home U.S. Coin Forum

“Rare” regular issue coins that Can be found in circulation

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

It might be interesting to make a List, of non error, non special strike coins which Can be found today in change. Condition of course plays a Big part, so I’ll start the list with 1983 Washington Quarter in AU-MS

Comments

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2020 10:59AM

1982 No P 10C (79 certified in AU 50-58 condition, 3 certified (AU58) as FS-501, surprisingly only the "Strong" version report circulated examples)

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do 1998, 1999, 2000 Far AM cents count?

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2020 1:56PM

If I remember correctly, 1969-P Roosevelt’s were almost impossible to find in rolls of dimes about 15 years ago when Mrs_Spud became obsessed with the idea of filling as many 1965-2004 Whitman Folders as possible with dimes found in circulation. She did this non stop for about a year and found just about 2 but found huge quantities of all the others. I just found a box with them in it in my attic two weeks ago when I went looking for Christmas decorations. A whole bunch of Whitman folders, still empty, and plastic bottles and baggies full of each date and mint Mark except the 1969, that’s why I remembered this.

I’m not sure if they are truly rare or valuable, but after that we always tried to buy unc 69 dimes in 2x2’s if we ran across any at coin shows because we thought that they would be considered semi-keys for Roosevelt’s some time in the future.

Mr_Spud

Not sure of all the years or mm's but there are some quarters dated 1969-1971 with different reverses. I personally have never found any of these.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

2009 nickels

@messydesk said:
    2009 nickels

Let me add 2009 dimes to that- after 11 years I still have not found a 2009 dime in circulation. I did manage to find one 2009-P, and 1 2009 -D, nickel.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2020 3:20PM

@rec78 said:

@messydesk said:
    2009 nickels

Let me add 2009 dimes to that- after 11 years I still have not found a 2009 dime in circulation. I did manage to find one 2009-P, and 1 2009 -D, nickel.

Why is 2009 so rare?

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

In theory.....unknown parties have hoarded away the 2009 mintage. The “rarity” on the ground though is real. I’ll add in the 1970 D Kennedy half. While a mint set only coin.....these are ripped apart a lot and spent by people who got them as gifts.... Not everyone is a collector.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2020 7:00PM

Ill add all the Quarter W mint marks and Privy marks now since they must be found in change.

Seems like a quarter heavy thread so far!

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2020 4:42PM

This list just proves why coin-roll hunting isn't the gateway to coin collecting that it used to be.

I'm also not sure why minor varieties count but "errors" and "special strikes" do not.

@jmlanzaf said:
    This list just proves why coin-roll hunting isn't the gateway to coin collecting that it used to be.

I'm also not sure why minor varieties count but "errors" and "special strikes" do not.

Count for what?

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Count for what?

The OP asked for "non error, no special strike" coins that could be found in circulation.

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Count for what?

The OP asked for "non error, no special strike" coins that could be found in circulation.

Ah, it seems like it's just for the sake of discussion.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know about the dimes, But most of the Nickels went to Puerto Rico.

@Zoins said:

@rec78 said:

@messydesk said:
    2009 nickels

Why is 2009 so rare?

• In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

Well, just got back from the bank with $100.00 in penny's. Closed out one account and thought WTH, gives me something to do when it rains. I will see how many wheats I can find. I still need a 1969 p to fill a space in the Whitman, don't quite know why I have not found one. I have been stacking up change on the dresser so I will check for any of the posted coins above. Happy hunting.

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I put my 1969P in my Whitman in 1969. :)

@amwldcoin said:
    I don't know about the dimes, But most of the Nickels went to Puerto Rico.

@Zoins said:

@rec78 said:

@messydesk said:
    2009 nickels

Why is 2009 so rare?

Very interesting! Worth looking into more.

Here's a thread on this:

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=304854

• dlmtortsdlmtorts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

@rec78 said

Not sure of all the years or mm's but there are some quarters dated 1969-1971 with different reverses. I personally have never found any of these.

One variety of 1969-D thru 1972-D Washington is the clad B reverse, now know as Cherrypickers type H. These are extremely rare with only a few known. However, the rarity might lead to no market for them. I still hunt though.

@dlmtorts said:
    @rec78 said

One variety of 1969-D thru 1972-D Washington is the clad B reverse, now know as Cherrypickers type H. These are extremely rare with only a few known. However, the rarity might lead to no market for them. I still hunt though.

It still would be neat to find one and have it. How many people go through bags of quarters today? How many collectors even know about these?

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    1982 No P 10C (79 certified in AU 50-58 condition, 3 certified (AU58) as FS-501, surprisingly only the "Strong" version report circulated examples)

How do you tell the strong from the weak version?

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
    edited December 31, 2020 9:19AM

@coinbuf said:

@oih82w8 said:

How do you tell the strong from the weak version?

The strong is my Roosevelt Clad Type;

The Weak version is from CoinFacts;

Incidentally, both are MS66's.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 60's and 70's is a golden period for doubled die varieties across multiple denominations. There are outstanding varieties in the Washington quarter and Lincoln cent series, particularly. These were relatively much harder to find among the increasingly large annual mintages; consequently, the populations of these varieties largely remain in circulation. With hard work and persistence, they can still be recovered, but not in great condition, usually.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have these large jars of change - cents, nickels, dimes and quarters... all separate... from years and years of accumulated pocket change. I would bet there may be a variety or two among all those coins... Maybe next blizzard I will check the dimes... ;) Cheers, RickO

Thanks for the photos @oih82w8 I could see the strong version in coinfacts but not photos of the weak.

My Lincoln Registry

@coinbuf said:
    Thanks for the photos @oih82w8 I could see the strong version in coinfacts but not photos of the weak.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1982-10c-no-mintmark-weak/5207

Guess I did not look hard enough. :D

My Lincoln Registry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file