Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I pass up a penny nearly every day.

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

During the past year I have been doing a lot of walking outside in my neighborhood. One one of my routes there is a bronze Lincoln cent in the street, now very well worn from being run over by cars and trucks. It is pounded firmly into the blacktop pavement. It is one coin I can't pick up. My walks over the past year have not yielded much in the way of change, probably no more than 80 cents in total. Paper money is another story. I found a one dollar bill during the summer and found a ten dollar bill just last week.

All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have a liquor store about a block from my house and there’s almost always various change on the sidewalk and in the street. I used to pick them all up, but since COVID is so high in my county I’ve been leaving the nickels and cents on the ground. I pick up dimes and quarters and put them in my back pocket and forget about them and they end up in the washing machine

Mr_Spud

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I used to work in NYC I'd see coins stuck in the blacktop all the time. I'd pry them out with a key and throw them into my change jug.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Went to the Philly Mint about 15yrs ago and my wife thought it would be awesome to find me a penny right outside...it was in the crosswalk on the street and glued/cemented in and after she tried to get it we watched several other people stop and try to beat the traffic to pick it up.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some my dig out of the street coins🙈

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Has anyone here ever glued a nickel or quarter to the sidewalk and watched people stop and try to pick it up? :D

https://youtu.be/VBvGQAqfP_A

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I pick up any coins I see on the ground or floor of the mall/market. Have not found any 'attached' ones yet. I find a bill once in a while...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago in the auto plant I worked in there was a major aisle that happened to pass thru the main tool room where all the die makers worked on tooling and dies.

There was a penny epoxied to the floor (not imbedded) where many could see the uninitiated bend down to pick it up. Those toolmakers got a big kick out of the newbies trying to make a penny. I was lucky, I saw someone else try it before I got hooked.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    Years ago in the auto plant I worked in there was a major aisle that happened to pass thru the main tool room where all the die makers worked on tooling and dies.

There was a penny epoxied to the floor (not imbedded) where many could see the uninitiated bend down to pick it up. Those toolmakers got a big kick out of the newbies trying to make a penny. I was lucky, I saw someone else try it before I got hooked.

With all those tools there, I'm surprised someone did find a chisel or similar tool and pried it up. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a thread similar to this one a few years ago asking "If you saw a penny on the Men's Room floor, would you pick it up?" :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Cameonut said:

With all those tools there, I'm surprised someone did find a chisel or similar tool and pried it up. :D

We graduated beyond cave man tools in the '30's. :smile:

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    There was a thread similar to this one a few years ago asking "If you saw a penny on the Men's Room floor, would you pick it up?" :D

I wonder how that went😂

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not picked up cents from the ground for many years. It is a coin of virtually 0 value, except to avoid getting other cents.

Their other "value" is getting stuck in garbage disposals and vacuum cleaners. It is irrational that the US continues to make these.

JMHO

Vplite99
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Has anyone here ever glued a nickel or quarter to the sidewalk and watched people stop and try to pick it up? :D

Yup.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2021 8:39AM

@PerryHall said:

One time at work, in a tunnel leading to the exit door, this practical joker glued some Canadian coins to the floor.

We watched on camera, and a guy that we worked with, was trying to pry the glued coins off the floor.

We got a good laugh out of that one.

And the same guy who glued the coins to the floor, knew that the guy who tried to pry the coins from the floor was behind him leaving work.

As he walked ahead of him, he dropped one cent at a time on the ground. They said the guy behind him looked line a bird picking up bread crumbs as he eagerly snatched up the pennies. It was hilarious! :D

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went through a stage where I couldn't walk by a vending machine, without checking the change slot. I found quite a bit of change!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

A local grocery store had a quarter glued to the floor by the mgr. Elicited much humor for him. Same store last week I spotted a wheatie near the checkout area. 1949, a nice little find. On the corner in my neighborhood when a corner sidewalk was poured the home owner embedded a quarter obv. side up in the cement. Seems it was a way to date the pour.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file