Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Color Designation?

CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 29, 2020 7:33PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I found these 81's in an original bank roll so they have been toning a while. I love the eye appeal of the green olive bronzy color but depending on the light they go from dark green to bright bronze.
What designation would the bulk of them get (one or two are somewhat red)?
I placed a couple red Lincolns next to them to hopefully help.

Comments

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins look red to me with the exception of the reverse of the coin in the flip.

• Options

@ironmanl63 said:
    The coins look red to me with the exception of the reverse of the coin in the flip.

Notice that the white paper color in that pic is darker bringing out the darker side. But otherwise you think they may get a RD designation? I assumed RB but certainly would not be unhappy with red.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

For some reason, 1981 Philly coins sometimes tone a yellowish-olive green, sometimes with hints of lavender and purple/magenta.
    These coins usually have very few marks but somewhat subdued luster.
    Is that what you have there?
    If it is, don't bother submitting because you'll get 66RBs on them.
    Trust me, I have submitted them.
    Either they'll go 66RB or 65RD just to throw you a curve ball.
    You'll need a 7 to make money, so remember to grade grumpy and only send in 7+ candidates.
    And even 7's have dropped to just a little over a Benji, so essentially the folks at PCGS are telling us to keep our 1981 Lincoln's.😗

• Options

@mannie gray I kinda agree but you know me and a few will have to go west. The hard part is selecting which, the ones with a better strike and some hits or the ones with no hits and a slightly weaker strike. Maybe one or two of each. These look good I will have to have some true views :-)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the major grading services allow some mellowing on copper coins without losing the RD color designation.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are nice looking cents... likely 65, maybe 66..... JMO from the pictures. If you are going to submit, pick out the best strike with no marks.... Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited December 30, 2020 9:53AM

Here is a very sad looking MS65 (in comparison) that I had graded earlier this year. Cell phone pics are terrible but even then the trained eye should be able to see the cartwheels in the first pic and then the clean fields and decent strikes in the others
    and put it all together. I look at coinfacts then I look at these and I just can't see why a few of them would not leapfrog the 66. I'm seeing 7's. Long story short these look much better than this one.

• Options

@ricko said:
    They are nice looking cents... likely 65, maybe 66..... JMO from the pictures. If you are going to submit, pick out the best strike with no marks.... Good luck, Cheers, RickO

I will do a couple of each. What I notice in the coinfacts 67's and 8's seem to be heavy strike and luster out weigh a couple of hits. Here are there featured ones all 68.
    The second one is a Monster and I think mine fall more into the third one type.

• Options

@ricko Now that I look at again your probably right about the most problem free coin. Because outside of the surface condition & appeal there really isn't much difference in the strike of my 65 and the third 68 pictured.
    Cheers :)

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:

@ironmanl63 said:

Notice that the white paper color in that pic is darker bringing out the darker side. But otherwise you think they may get a RD designation? I assumed RB but certainly would not be unhappy with red.

From the first 2 pictures I would say red no doubt. No opinion on grade but they look like red coin to me.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they are RB

Mr_Spud

• Options

And the more I look at them the more I’m in agreement with a 66 and maybe a plus with some. The initial knee-jerk reaction when you first see the luster and toning seems to fade after a few more visits.
    Undoubtably I will send a few of them in anyway :-) as part of the learning process and should easily top my current 65 anyway.

• Options

To me it’ll be worth a few dollars to find out what designation and grade they do fall in

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file