Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin photos using an iPhone macro lens clip on

I got this macro iPhone add on lends today on Amazon and was surprised at how well I thought it worked. All are slabbed, excluding the cob. light was a mix of overhead LED and incandescent. Not a photographer obviously, but am looking for a quick way for semi-quality in-slab photos. The item is: Xenvo Pro Lens Kit for iPhone and others.

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty crisp and sharp. Continue to experiment with lighting and reflective material shall flood the coin surface with more illumination. Oh yeah, who's the babe? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pics @ThreeCentSilverFL
    very nice :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them

Mr_Spud

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which iPhone model are you using?
    I know the latest iPhone 12 has a pretty decent camera, all things considering.
    Also, are you using an iOS photo app of any kind?
    Wonderful photos by the way!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very good photographs.... Lighting is tricky... can make the world of difference when viewing a coin. Those pictures, with a smartphone, are really great though. Cheers, RickO

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2020 7:49AM

The one thing I don’t like with the clip on macro lenses on iPhones is that they are perfectly focused in the middle but out of focus the further away from the middle the picture is, so it limits you to smaller coins. The pictures are still good enough, but it limits how good they can get. I found you can get the iPhones to work just as good without the add on lens. I was getting the pictures to come out ok with an iPhone 6S, but I went ahead and upgraded to iPhone 12 pro because it comes with a half decent macro lens built in.

Here’s a picture with the 6s with no macro lens

And here’s a couple of pictures with the 12 pro using its built in macro lens

Mr_Spud

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    The one thing I don’t like with the clip on macro lenses on iPhones is that they are perfectly focused in the middle but out of focus the further away from the middle the picture is, so it limits you to smaller coins. The pictures are still good enough, but it limits how good they can get. I found you can get the iPhones to work just as good without the add on lens. I was getting the pictures to come out ok with an iPhone 6S, but I went ahead and upgraded to iPhone 12 pro because it comes with a half decent macro lens built in.

Here’s a picture with the 6s with no macro lens

And here’s a couple of pictures with the 12 pro using its built in macro lens

I like the 6S pics better.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 its an old iPhone XR. Probably time for an upgrade. Just the native camera app.

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ThreeCentSilverFL said:
    @abcde12345 its an old iPhone XR. Probably time for an upgrade. Just the native camera app.

Please don't tell my wife the XR is old. She has only had hers a year and is just starting to figure it out.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2021 3:50PM

Because of your post I snatched one as well. Thank you! This is the first snap with the macro lens and LED attachment on lowest setting in outdoor light. Cant wait to fool around with this

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman looks great! I’ve done some more playing around with mine as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file