Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2021 George Washington Crossing the Delaware

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

2021 George Washington Crossing the Delaware

Images of the obverse and reverse of a 2021 General George Washington Crossing the Delaware Quarter

by MIKE UNSER on DECEMBER 29, 2020

The United States Mint officially revealed which design will appear on quarter reverses (tails side) beginning in 2021.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well the date is back on the obverse of the coin since 1998. I like the new design as a drawing but would like to see it on metal in person. Will there be W's in 2021?

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's a good design.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better than some, worse than some, now if we could just remove the dead guy on the obverse.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually like it as a design. Hopefully the low relief won’t ruin it. I still agree with removing all historical people from US coinage but that ship has sailed. I don’t imagine we will ever see the end of historical people on coins/currency until there is no more coins/currency.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    I actually like it as a design. Hopefully the low relief won’t ruin it.

That's a great point. It would look good in a relief similar to the bicentennial design, but I guess that's not going to happen in reality.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2020 2:18PM

@Kliao said:
    Will there be W's in 2021?

There is only one National Park quarter left, Tuskegee Airmen, and it will be issued into circulation on Feb. 8 with the current reverse. There has been on announcement to extend the limited number West Point National Park quarters into 2021. Would be nice to see this last NP quarter of the 56 coin series get the W mint mark.

The things I don’t always agree with are always worth considering.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

still in retreat?

there is a "flip horizontal" function that could fix that in 1 click

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@Kliao said:
    Well the date is back on the obverse of the coin

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    It's nice to see the date back on the obverse.

I very much agree with the placement of the date

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    It's nice to see the date back on the obverse. The reverse is quite nice, although there seems to be an obsession with superfluous text on modern coins. It would have been more balanced without the 'Crossing the Delaware' proclamation IMO.

Yes, too much writing on the reverse, although maybe it is needed so that younger people will know what the depiction is?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am still looking for W quarters in the wild... no luck.... Maybe in the new batch... if there are any. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    I am still looking for W quarters in the wild... no luck....

As am I :)

• Options

@derryb said:
    Bank sold me a box of 2019 War in the Pacific quarters last week. All brand new quarters, found 22 W's. You never know what is sitting on those bank shelves.

WOW :)

and Agree :/:)

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2020 10:07PM

@coinbuf said:
    Better than some, worse than some, now if we could just remove the dead guy on the obverse.

Lovely.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see BS on the back. What's up with the two sets of initials?

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

I kinda like it

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:

It could be 2 people worked on the design on this one 🙂

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb .... Wow, that is an amazing quantity....Congratulations... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2020 8:48AM

@ricko said:
    I am still looking for W quarters in the wild... no luck.... Maybe in the new batch... if there are any. Cheers, RickO

@ricko I like the new quarter design.

BTW last week went to my local bank and asked for and bought two rolls of new quarters.
    They gave me two rolls of Marsh Billings P, found my first W in the wild - a Marsh Billings.
    Also, had a lone 1776-1976 quarter and three earlier ATB quarters.

Good luck ...

PS. coastal Georgia

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options

@Batman23 said:

Here you go :)

Artist Information
    Obverse
    Designer: John Flanagan
    Reverse
    Sculptor: Michael Gaudioso, Medallic Artist
    Designer: Benjamin Sowards, Artistic Infusion Program

• Options

@johnny9434 said:

@Batman23 said:

You are correct
    the sculptor and the designer.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

@johnny9434 said:

@Batman23 said:

You are correct

I wonder how many US coin designs have more than one set of initials. It is probably very considerable with so many commemorative designs the last 20 years!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin design is very busy and has far too much lettering. Unfortunately, it is just what I expect from the US Mint.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

I actually like the reverse - - it did remind me right away of the Bicentennial Quarter's reverse. One of the better ones they could have come up with, given their recent history. I also hope the relief is similar to that of the Bicentennial Q's!

I agree there's too much wording.... imagine if the older quarters said "Eagle" or "Fife & Drummer" on them as well......... for once, let's leave that off the coin & either assume the population either knows their history or cares enough to "Google" it......

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    Designer: Benjamin Sowards, Artistic Infusion Program

Here's his bio from the US Mint:

Benjamin Sowards is an artist and illustrator whose portfolio includes official portraiture, gallery painting, fully illustrated picture books and young adult fantasy. His works are included in public and private collections internationally. He loves the preparation, research and travel necessary to create artwork worthy of the individuals and themes he strives to represent.

When Sowards is not working on his own projects, he teaches others how to paint both traditionally and digitally at Southern Utah University, where he has directed the Illustration Program since 2001. Sowards completed his graduate and undergraduate studies at Laguna College of Art and Design and Brigham Young University.

He and his family currently reside in New Mexico.

Coin Design Credits

• 2016 Mark Twain Commemorative Coin Program – Gold obverse

Medal Design Credits

• 2019 American Veterans Silver Medal – obverse

Coin & Medal Design Credits

• 2016 First Spouse Gold Coin and Medal Program – Nancy Reagan obverse
    • 2015 First Spouse Gold Coin and Medal Program – Jacqueline Kennedy reverse
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2020 1:15PM

Given this is done by an AIP artist, does this achieve Director Ryder's goal for the AIP artists:

Mint Director David J. Ryder said:

We’ve selected diverse artists who represent every region of America, from coast to coast. Sixteen of the artists are new to the program and we’re challenging them to exert a major influence on the future of our nation’s coinage, to aspire to the creative mastery of giants such as Augustus Saint-Gaudens, Victor David Brenner, and A.A. Weinman as the Mint creates new designs in the 21st century.

• Options

@Batman23 said:

@johnny9434 said:

@Batman23 said:

Its a good thing that 10 people weren't on the project, it would look like a billboard ;)

Imagine if they spelled out their full last names like Gobrecht!

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@baddogss said:

@ricko said:

@ricko I like the new quarter design.

BTW last week went to my local bank and asked for and bought two rolls of new quarters.
    They gave me two rolls of Marsh Billings P, found my first W in the wild - a Marsh Billings.
    Also, had a lone 1776-1976 quarter and three earlier ATB quarters.

Good luck ...

PS. coastal Georgia

Congratulations! I love to hear about W quarter finds. Enjoy the thrill of the hunt!

• Options

@GoldenEgg said:

@1630Boston said:

@johnny9434 said:

@Batman23 said:

You are correct

I wonder how many US coin designs have more than one set of initials. It is probably very considerable with so many commemorative designs the last 20 years!

Batman just picked up the best thing around... Batquarters!! Bat quarters are just so cool and Batman's collection could not be without Batquarter!! The coolness however is distracted by those annoying initials out in the fields. The initials are annoyingly large and prominent. Not the way initials used to be.

• Options

Of course with a handle like @Batman23
    You would LOVE those coins.
    I like them too :)

PS yes ... initials should be 'hidden' outside of the prime focal areas.
    JMO
    boston

• Options

Perhaps a distant view of the moon in place of initials would have looked better ?
    @Batman23

• Options

@Batman23 said:

@johnny9434 said:

@Batman23 said:

Its a good thing that 10 people weren't on the project, it would look like a billboard ;)

Imagine it looked like the lower right here? ;)

• Options

Totally agree @Zoins :)
    It's all in the placement of the various design aspects
    jmho
    boston
    :)

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2020 6:39PM

Nice! The only thing I'd change is having "Crossing the Delaware" on it. Not necessary.

Interestingly they chose a facing north perspective. I think it's most usually it's depicted from the perspective of looking south.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@Batman23 said:

@johnny9434 said:

@Batman23 said:

Imagine it looked like the lower right here? ;)

I actually don't mind that one because they are the focus of that version. They are he subject and centered. At least they don't have initials of each visible in the field of the obverse.

• Options

Perhaps they needed to make it different than the New Jersey Quarter.

Washington Crossing the Delaware

Artist Emanuel Leutze
    Year 1851
    Medium Oil on canvas
    Dimensions 378.5 cm × 647.7 cm (149 in × 255 in)
    Location Metropolitan Museum of Art New York City, and Minnesota Marine Art Museum Winona, Minnesota

The painting depicted on the New Jersey state quarter

• Options
    edited December 31, 2020 6:18AM

@1630Boston said:
    Perhaps they needed to make it different than the New Jersey Quarter.

Artists were told not to replicate the 1999 New Jersey quarter which used Emanuel Leutze's painting. See the following:

https://mintnewsblog.com/george-washingtons-newest-coin-will-be-announced-christmas-day/

In the CCAC’s October 15, 2019, meeting, the Mint noted that “Artists were charged with finding a fresh perspective to depict the theme and encouraged not to recreate the 1999 New Jersey quarter which evokes the famous painting by Emanuel Leutze."

• Options

Thanks for the info @Zoins :)

• Options
    RedStormRedStorm Posts: 221 ✭✭✭

@DBSTrader2 said:

I agree there's too much wording.... imagine if the older quarters said "Eagle" or "Fife & Drummer" on them as well......... for once, let's leave that off the coin & either assume the population either knows their history or cares enough to "Google" it......

I read the other day that the initial legislation for the Ike dollar was supposed to have “We came in peace for all mankind” on the reverse along with the Apollo 11 mission patch design. The mint wisely told the bill’s sponsor that there was not room for the inscription. Such wisdom may not exist at today’s mint... 🤔

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have any other coins ever featured the same person on obverse and reverse? I'm drawing a blank on that even considering commemoratives and darkside.

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:
    Have any other coins ever featured the same person on obverse and reverse? I'm drawing a blank on that even considering commemoratives and darkside.

lincoln

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@CoinJunkie said:

lincoln

Heh, forgot about the LM cent, probably because the statue of Lincoln is so small.

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@CoinJunkie said:

lincoln

Heh, forgot about the LM cent, probably because the statue of Lincoln is so small.

and these, as others have pointed out

• Options

I mentioned this in another thread but it's worth posting again that:

I want a puck :)

Any news if one is going to be available?

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:

Lafayette dollar?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2021 11:40AM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file