Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

DELETE

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2022 5:36PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

Comments

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2022 5:36PM

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you need to differentiate between Spanish and New World coins.

I my experience, Spanish (mainland) coins are a tough sell with comparatively little interest in the US. I got burnt on all the Spanish I’ve ever purchased.

New World Spanish, on the other hand has much greater interest in the USA and should continue to do well.

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas that is interesting as mainland gold was still legal tender in the US, yet collectors in the US have a clear preference for Latin American issues as opposed to mainland. It is not clear to me the reason.

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's one...

edited April 22, 2022 5:36PM

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:
    @pruebas that is interesting as mainland gold was still legal tender in the US, yet collectors in the US have a clear preference for Latin American issues as opposed to mainland. It is not clear to me the reason.

I think it is the multiple layers of interest. A Mexican 8 Esc will have interest from collectors of Latin American, Mexican, World coins in Early America, and Spain while mainland Spain likely only is of interest to collectors of Spain or someone looking for a type piece.

When one additional bidder can make a big difference in price, the multiple groups collecting Spanish Colonial vs. Mainland is important to consider.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

@pruebas said:

I my experience, Spanish (mainland) coins are a tough sell with comparatively little interest in the US. I got burnt on all the Spanish I’ve ever purchased.

New World Spanish, on the other hand has much greater interest in the USA and should continue to do well.

So the ones I have are not the ones that I should be looking out for? How do I tell the difference between mainland or not if it just says Spain on the labels? Do you mean buy coins minted in Mexico that are gold or some other South American country? This may sound like a dumb question but I am new to buying coins outside of Canada and the USA. Not that I would sell my 3 coins I will just keep them but maybe I can do this in a smarter way. I do not want to buy gold coins from the USA it is not my interest and there is to much competition.

The only countries I imagine that are ''popular'' would be Mexico and Brazil I could be wrong. I just can't imagine much interest in say Peru or Uruguay.

Brazil and Portuguese gold and collectible for sure ,but I wouldn't saw that they are uber popular. The 4000R and 6000R were certainly staples in Colonial America.

From the Spanish Colonial period you have Mexico, Bolivia, Peru, Guatemala, Chile and Colombia. In general, gold from Chile and Colombia is most available, then Mexico, then Peru and Bolivia and finally Guatemala. Of course there are exceptions to that order but that is my experience.

Peru is popular and I know a few Peruvian specific collectors.

Uruguay was not a country in the Spanish colonial period and the territory was under the control of the vicceroy of the Rio de la Plata. And specie from that region likely ended up in Potosi. While Santiago is geographically closer, the Andes separate them.

I would suggest a defined goal, a denomination set, a monarch set, a mint set, Latin Republic pieces post Colonial rule, or just buy some nice pieces and see where it takes you.

• EdGOhioEdGOhio Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

Each time this particular topic is brought up I show my one and (currently) only Mexico Gold. A recent auction 2 days ago have 5-6 of these and bad timing for me. :'(
    My 50 Pesos:

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.

• Albert Einstein
    edited April 22, 2022 5:37PM

@MasonG said:
    Here's one...

Can you post the full slab trying to learn more about them so I can find coins better than the ones I already purchased.

• trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

The coin on the right is an 1868 Filipinas 4 Peso gold coin with Queen Isabel II

trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

Uh oh I bought some spanish recently cause I was bored

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

edited April 22, 2022 5:37PM

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

@bidask said:

@pruebas said:

Uh oh I bought some spanish recently cause I was bored

I actually like the history of Spain and own a book of it. But I understand where he is coming from. I will continue to buy some and also some from Mexico.

Here's some:

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mexican-second-republic-decimal-coinage/mexican-decimal-coinage-gold/mexican-gold-peso-varieties-circulation-strikes-1870-1905/imagegallery/195213

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.