Home Sports Talk
Options

i'll be the first to say it.......the Chiefs are vulnerable

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

i know Darin wont like this one bit, but as always I've gotta keep it real

i said this about Pittsburgh weeks ago and I'm gonna say the same thing about Kansas City right now.......and I've been thinking this for weeks.......but they are not as good as their record suggests. going into today they had won 5 straight games by less than a touchdown, and that hadn't happened in forever and a day. translation: they've been skating on thin ice against a variety of teams. now they're down against Atlanta (of all teams) and do not look good (I'm watching the game).

i dont want to jinx it for dueces, but i'm feeling a trip to the Super Bowl for the Bills. I think they are a better, more complete team.

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

they barely beat the patriots with brian hoyer !

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only if Mahomes gets injured.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Chiefs were pretty bad today but they do know how to win the close ones. :D
    But its ridiculous how they have been failing to score when the opportunity arises.
    Like trying a pathetic wide receiver throwing to the QB play instead of the other way around.
    Andy Reid and Eric Bienemy- Question please- How many TD passes do our receivers have and how
    many does our QB have? Nuff said now quit calling stupid plays and start playing Chiefs football!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

you are correct, the chiefs are a soft 14-1 and seem to be quite beatable. they were dominant during the first half of the season, but have slowed considerably during the 2nd half. it doesnt bode well for them in the playoffs. a run heavy or short passing team like tennessee will give them fits i think. they will not beat a full strength New Orleans team either. they barely beat NO with no michael thomas and a rusty 80% Brees. If the Bucs we have seen the last 2 weeks are legit, they will not beat them either.

for some reason, Mahomes seems to like making plays more difficult than they need to be. he tries things like the no look pass and getting out of his fundamental motion and throwing off the back foot to avoid hits, throwing across his body and dropping down to sidearm for absolutely no reason. it increases the level of difficulty and as he ages and natural arm strength decreases will be a huge detriment to his game.

fundamentals are the reason TB can do what he is doing at 43. if you have watched much brady, you will see his throwing motion is very repeatable. much like a pitcher in MLB. when you get away from those fundamentals, it is so much easier for things to break down. there is seldom a reason for a QB to drop down to sidearm during a game, except to get cutesy. I have seen 7 or 8 Chiefs games this year and it seems to be pretty common for Mahomes. that type of motion will not age well and he has missed quite a few open recievers by doing it.

another thing that has swung in Mahomes favor this year are dropped interceptions. adjusted interceptions is a newish stat that records dropped int. by the defense. I only have numbers through week 6 this year, but at that point, Mahomes only had thrown 1 int. defenders had dropped 7 interceptions during that time though. he has had a number more during the second half of the year, including 2 today. he had a good 2019 for AI, but in his big 2018 he had 10 dropped int. with no tipped ints. he is a bit like a hitter with a high BABIP. mahomes has been very lucky his interception totals have not been much higher.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Chiefs have a QB with a very strong arm, speed on Offense and the ability to score in a hurry. unfortunately, they have a middle-of-the-road Defense and not much of a running game. looking at their record of 14-1 and seeing the final scores of their games makes me scratch my head. do they play only good enough to win or are they fortunate to pull out close games?? they are like the prototypical Team for the NFL, a League that seems to want every game to be within one score.

listening to the hype about the Chiefs reminds me of the hype around Russell Wilson and the Seattle Seahawks after they won the SB in 2013. the talk was about "Dynasty" and how they were built for the Playoffs. Now all of a sudden it's 2020, Wilson is 32 and in his 9th Season with the door closing fast.

Mahomes is 25 and in his 4th season. his door is still open wide but success is a funny thing in the Professional Sport of today. when his Teammates fail to reach that hallowed "Super Bowl" victory ground I doubt they will hang around. Mahomes can't do it alone.

• Options
    edited December 27, 2020 5:54PM

@Darin said:

Like trying a pathetic wide receiver throwing to the QB play instead of the other way around.
    Andy Reid and Eric Bienemy- Question please- How many TD passes do our receivers have and how
    many does our QB have? Nuff said now quit calling stupid plays and start playing Chiefs football!

that was not the only instance of them inexplicably taking the ball out of Mahomes' hands at the most inopportune time

did you see that 3rd down call mid-4th quarter when they had the ball near midfield and were clinging to a 3-point lead? i think they had about 4 yards to go and desperately needed to keep the drive alive, because the Falcons had been going up and down the field.

so what play did they run? a handoff to Darrel Williams that (not surprisingly) went nowhere. they punted and sure enough Atlanta blew down the field and scored

if the coaching staff pulls stunts like that in playoffs they will get bounced

• Options

btw i anointed the Bills but in truth there are at least two other AFC teams that have a legit shot of making it to the Bowl...........namely, Tennessee & Baltimore

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depending on how they look tomorrow the two hottest offenses are the Bills and the Bears. Yes you read it. The Bears! Maybe a month on the bench lit a fire under Trubisky.
    The Chiefs think they can turn it on whenever they want. It’s not that easy. Missed 39 yard FG or Atlanta takes them to overtime. Trying to win your first you are hungry. Winning comes so easy it sometimes is taken for granted. Remember last year down 24-0 to the Texans? Might not be so easy to come back from that this year

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

Well let's just say if the Chiefs win it all again I won't be forgetting this thread.
    Most teams lose a few games before they get put under the microscope.
    The Chiefs have won 22 out of their last 23 games.

Yes they're not playing great but they'll be ready for the playoffs.

• Options

@Darin said:
    Well let's just say if the Chiefs win it all again I won't be forgetting this thread.

They are looking like the Patriots or Bulls in their championship years. The season doesn’t start until the playoffs.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@Darin i'm simply conveying what i've seen as of late when i've watched your team. i haven't decided if they are playing possum or are developing some bad habits that are causing them to play down to the competition. either way, i stand by my statement of it being nonsensical to take the ball out of PM's hands during crucial downs, and we've touched on two plays in this thread that backfired yesterday when that happened.

if they run the tables in the playoffs and this turns out to be a moot point, feel free to hand me a big heaping plate of crow

• Options

galaxy- no crow eating necessary if the Chiefs win it all,
    after all I had the Bears out of the playoff picture several weeks ago
    and now they're playing some really good football.
    I do sincerely hope Trubisky does well the rest of the season I don't know too much
    about him really but he seems like he doesn't complain when he's benched.
    It has to be tough on him at times always being reminded that he was picked ahead of Mahomes and Watson.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    galaxy- no crow eating necessary if the Chiefs win it all,
    after all I had the Bears out of the playoff picture several weeks ago
    and now they're playing some really good football.
    I do sincerely hope Trubisky does well the rest of the season I don't know too much
    about him really but he seems like he doesn't complain when he's benched.
    It has to be tough on him at times always being reminded that he was picked ahead of Mahomes and Watson.

when the chiefs do win it all don't disappear for 6 months? ;)

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

It is true that losing puts teams under a microscope, but so does winning, especially winning as frequently and consistently as the Chiefs have.

Chiefs fans have high hopes of tacking on more SB wins. And why shouldn't they? I think a somewhat apt comparison is to look back at the Patriots dynasty and think about how for the most part each season brought about a unique team with it's own set of challenges. There was a long drought of no SB wins in between the beginning and the end. A lot of great teams that strung together consecutive wins. Some seasons, looking back, they looked like they should have gone all the way but didn't. Their best teams didn't all win Super Bowls. It looks and feels like Mahomes/Reid are at the beginning of a long run of great teams. This Chiefs team, this year, appears to sometimes play down to to their opponents. Yet they still win. And I would not be surprised to see them in the SB again.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2020 11:34PM

@craig44 said:

for some reason, Mahomes seems to like making plays more difficult than they need to be. he tries things like the no look pass and getting out of his fundamental motion and throwing off the back foot to avoid hits, throwing across his body and dropping down to sidearm for absolutely no reason. it increases the level of difficulty and as he ages and natural arm strength decreases will be a huge detriment to his game.

fundamentals are the reason TB can do what he is doing at 43. if you have watched much brady, you will see his throwing motion is very repeatable. much like a pitcher in MLB. when you get away from those fundamentals, it is so much easier for things to break down. there is seldom a reason for a QB to drop down to sidearm during a game, except to get cutesy. I have seen 7 or 8 Chiefs games this year and it seems to be pretty common for Mahomes. that type of motion will not age well and he has missed quite a few open recievers by doing it.

Brady worked tirelessly on his mechanics each off season. He essentially wanted to be able to throw with the same motion no matter what position his body was in. And make sure it was done with muscle memory. So if he is falling down, getting pushed out of bounds, moving in any direction, it didn't matter. He was going to be able to release the ball the way he wanted.

Here is some information on that.

Edit to add: this link discusses this, but I know I have read a lot through the years about Brady's throwing motion. He definitely continued to get better as he aged in a way that is unusual.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.patspulpit.com/platform/amp/2015/11/22/9777726/tom-bradys-passing-mechanics-are-influenced-by-baseball

• Options

It’s almost impossible to win just one super Bowl let alone back to back. The Patriots are an anomaly. The Chiefs looked bored. I’ve said it they look like the Patriots and the Bulls. The real season doesn’t start until the playoffs. Now can they just flip a switch and dominate like last year we’ll know soon enough.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    @Darin i'm simply conveying what i've seen as of late when i've watched your team. i haven't decided if they are playing possum or are developing some bad habits that are causing them to play down to the competition. either way, i stand by my statement of it being nonsensical to take the ball out of PM's hands during crucial downs, and we've touched on two plays in this thread that backfired yesterday when that happened.

if they run the tables in the playoffs and this turns out to be a moot point, feel free to hand me a big heaping plate of crow

"playing possum", could be.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2020 7:53PM

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@galaxy27 said:

"playing possum", could be.

They will really be playing possum on Sunday. Chad Henne is starting at QB plus they have a bye the following week. I hate what amounts to 20+ day layoff for Mahomes or whoever else sits this week. If anyone can afford to come out rusty after a long layoff it's the Chief's but I still don't love it

BTW I think Chad Henne played QB at Michigan when I went there in the early 80's

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......