Home Sports Talk
Options

Gonzaga !

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on what I’ve seen, (and I was 11 years old when 1976 Indiana went 32-0), this is the greatest team I’ve ever seen. They play the most beautiful game of basketball. What a team. Even if you’re not a fan of basketball like me, try to check them out. You’ll be amazed at how good they are. Place your bet on them to win it all. Easy money.

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll keep an eye on them as the season progresses. Lord knows I need something to do during the offseason!

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched them earlier when they played Kansas and couldn't believe how well they played together as a team.
    I was also completely impressed. Their coach has to be the best in the country bar none in my opinion.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the better cheeses !

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Iowa played them pretty tough, but just couldn't outscore them.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:
    Place your bet on them to win it all. Easy money.

When it comes to gambling, there is no such thing as a sure thing. Otherwise it would be called "sure-thinging"

• Options

@Darin said:
    I watched them earlier when they played Kansas and couldn't believe how well they played together as a team.
    I was also completely impressed. Their coach has to be the best in the country bar none in my opinion.

Exactly on the coach. I feel like their offense is brand new to basketball, similar to how the wishbone offense was introduced in the late 60s early 70s in football.

From what I saw they were running option basketball off their pick and rolls. They had three options they could go to.

Stockton and Malone would do the pick and roll by themselves. Not only does Gonzaga have that, but they have the three ball option and from what I saw two other options off their picks. It almost looked like the Harlem Globtrotters and Utah Jazz all in one.

Their game against Virginia was the best college basketball team I ever saw, bar none.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Living in Spokane for over 20 years, I've become a big Gonzaga fan. Have seen a lot of excellent teams over the years, like the one that was bad officiating and a wet floor from winning a national title a few years ago.

This one is better than all of them.

They're loaded with talent and play hard. They rise to the occasion, lighting up highly-ranked Kansas & Iowa. They have multiple NBA-caliber players on the roster. And they can score the basketball - 102 against Kansas, 99 against Iowa, and 98 against Virginia (a game they led by 33).

It's great and I can't wait to see how far they can go.

• Options

@Tabe said:
    Living in Spokane for over 20 years, I've become a big Gonzaga fan. Have seen a lot of excellent teams over the years, like the one that was bad officiating and a wet floor from winning a national title a few years ago.

This one is better than all of them.

They're loaded with talent and play hard. They rise to the occasion, lighting up highly-ranked Kansas & Iowa. They have multiple NBA-caliber players on the roster. And they can score the basketball - 102 against Kansas, 99 against Iowa, and 98 against Virginia (a game they led by 33).

It's great and I can't wait to see how far they can go.

My mom is from McCleary, near Elma. Oh by the way, Gonzaga is now 10-0 after a 20+ point win over San Francisco.

You hit the nail on the head. This is the best Gonzaga team ever.

• Options

The best college basketball team in 45 years gets to take down UCLA tonight.

The only teams left with a 10% chance to beat them is Houston or Baylor.

If Houston wins, I’ve got both my picks in the final with the Zags on top. Should be fun.

• Options

@VikingDude said:

@Goldenage said:

When it comes to gambling, there is no such thing as a sure thing. Otherwise it would be called "sure-thinging"

Secretariat in the Belmont. Gonzaga all year long and in this tournament. Some Mike Tyson fights. There are plenty of sure things in gambling. You just have to sniff them out and be willing to wager A LOT to win a smaller portion.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

@VikingDude said:

@Goldenage said:

Secretariat in the Belmont. Gonzaga all year long and in this tournament. Some Mike Tyson fights. There are plenty of sure things in gambling. You just have to sniff them out and be willing to wager A LOT to win a smaller portion.

Hi> @Goldenage said:

@VikingDude said:

@Goldenage said:

Hindsight is always 20-20, though. Tyson vs Douglas was a sure thing, too. So were the Colts vs the Jets in Super Bowl III.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@Goldenage said:

@VikingDude said:

@Goldenage said:

Hi> @Goldenage said:

@VikingDude said:

@Goldenage said:

Hindsight is always 20-20, though. Tyson vs Douglas was a sure thing, too. So were the Colts vs the Jets in Super Bowl III.

No hindsight involved here. Gonzaga was 11-0 when I first posted to wager on them all season long. Every bet has been a winner. A sure thing. Easy money. I doubt the Knicks could beat them.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are we not gonna talk about Miley’s mullet pre game??

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seriously, what did I miss that announced there was a halftime show before this game??? Dumbfounded.

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@grote15 said:

@Goldenage said:

@VikingDude said:

@Goldenage said:

Hi> @Goldenage said:

@VikingDude said:

@Goldenage said:

No hindsight involved here. Gonzaga was 11-0 when I first posted to wager on them all season long. Every bet has been a winner. A sure thing. Easy money. I doubt the Knicks could beat them.

Hope you didn't risk any big wager on that sure thing. That was the point I was trying to make earlier..there are no sure things when it comes to gambling.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Down goes Gonzaga. They get destroyed. ....1976 Indiana is still the last team to go undefeated.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gonzaga was never really in that game and judging by the way Baylor destroyed the last two Teams they played, Gonzaga was a little over-hyped. they were just another good Team that had a really, really good run and overplayed.

_ I doubt the Knicks could beat them_
    --- you need to come down to earth. :p

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:
    Based on what I’ve seen, (and I was 11 years old when 1976 Indiana went 32-0), this is the greatest team I’ve ever seen. They play the most beautiful game of basketball. What a team. Even if you’re not a fan of basketball like me, try to check them out. You’ll be amazed at how good they are. Place your bet on them to win it all. Easy money.

LOL......... No surprise Baylor easily took care of this small league team.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@Goldenage said:

@VikingDude said:

@Goldenage said:

I still think Gonzaga is not a sure thing. If there was only some way to prove it...

• Options

@spacehayduke said:

@Goldenage said:

Lol. Then why didn't Baylor take care of a small league team when they lost their conference championship this year ?
    OSU got smacked by Oregon State in the 2nd round, but beat Baylor. Baylor couldn't win the Big 12 because of OSU ? LOL.

• Options

@keets said:
    Gonzaga was never really in that game and judging by the way Baylor destroyed the last two Teams they played, Gonzaga was a little over-hyped. they were just another good Team that had a really, really good run and overplayed.

_ I doubt the Knicks could beat them_
    --- you need to come down to earth. :p

You obviously did not watch college basketball this year.

• Options
    edited April 6, 2021 7:44AM

pre-MarchMadness the only ranked Team Gonzaga played after Christmas was BYU, barely in the Top 25. during that same time, Baylor played eight games against ranked Teams.

am I surprised Baylor won?? no. I'm only surprised that they won so easily. let's face it, Teams like Gonzaga and several others always have legions of Sports Writers telling us they're better than they probably are.

• Options

@keets said:
    pre-MarchMadness the only ranked Team Gonzaga played after Christmas was BYU, barely in the Top 25. during that same time, Baylor played eight games against ranked Teams.

am I surprised Baylor won?? no. I'm only surprised that they won so easily. let's face it, Teams like Gonzaga and several others always have legions of Sports Writers telling us they're better than they probably are.

Like I said. Obviously you didn't watch any college basketball this year.

Gonzaga beat Kansas 102-90 (and West Virginia 87-82). Their game against Baylor after these two wins was cancelled.

Baylor got destroyed by Kansas 71-58 this year.

Gonzaga was tired last night and it showed. Baylor played a great game.
    If the Baylor team that showed up to play Kansas met the Gonzaga team that played Kansas (or USC), then
    Gonzaga blows them out.

• Options

Gonzaga was tired last night and it showed. Baylor played a great game.
    If the Baylor team that showed up to play Kansas met the Gonzaga team that played Kansas (or USC), then
    Gonzaga blows them out

yeah, and if your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle, that's a silly argument. why wasn't Baylor tired??

look, I understand you're a Gonzaga fan and supporter, I don't really care either way. all I know is that in the Championship Game, Baylor beat Gonzaga and the game wasn't really close. if you're riding the "high" from that OT victory, playing in a Championship Game with a 31-0 record and NCAA Basketball immortality on the line, being tired is a piss-poor excuse.

one of two things happened: Gonzaga got beat by a better Team --- OR --- Gonzaga choked.

I doubt it was the latter, but who knows.

• Options

Then what is Baylor’s excuse when they lost to OSU in the championship game ? Or did they just get beat by a better team ?

You really should have stopped when you proved you knew nothing about Gonzaga scoring over 100 on Kansas while Baylor could only put up 58 on Kansas.

• Options

fine, you win the argument and are hereby crowned the Mr. Knowitall of NCAA hoops, but Gonzaga still lost yesterday to a better Team. let that sink in and fester for the next year while I bask in the glory of Baylor's victory.

have a nice day and enjoy being bl;ocked.

• Options

@keets said:
    fine, you win the argument and are hereby crowned the Mr. Knowitall of NCAA hoops, but Gonzaga still lost yesterday to a better Team. let that sink in and fester for the next year while I bask in the glory of Baylor's victory.

have a nice day and enjoy being bl;ocked.

"Bask in the glory of Baylor's victory ?"" LOL

How is someone who knows nothing about college basketball "basking in Baylor's victory?"

Not only do you not know anything about their team, their players, or their coach, but you didn't even watch
    one of their regular season games this year.

Yet, you are "basking in their victory" ? LOL. Some fan you are.

You are seriously making a fool of yourself. You should have stopped when you didn't know
    Gonzaga crushed Kansas with over 100 points and Baylor barely got 50 against Kansas. Gonzaga
    led the NCAA in scoring this year. But you called them in your own words, "just another good team".

You just came here to knock Gonzaga down because of one loss. You had no other reason.
    Their kids played a great season and feel terrible about their loss.

I tell you what. How about you start a thread about a team you're following, and when they lose, I'll post
    a lot about how your undefeated team was just a good team, and I'll be basking in their defeat.

You're really low class.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn't matter what team A did against team B earlier in the year. Means squat. All that matters is who is last man standing. In this case it was Baylor. It was men against boys last night. Baylor might be one of the best teams I've seen the last few years.

The Zags had a WONDERFUL season but last night was no shocker. Major conferences knock the snot out of each other all season. I think Gonzaga got a taste of what playing 4 or 5 good teams in a row felt like. They weren't ready to go when they needed to be most.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Mark, isn't that sort of what I've been trying to tell this homer?? be prepared to hear that you don't know what you're talking about and that you must not have watched any games.

oh yeah, I agree with you 100%. what happened 3-4 weeks ago doesn't mean squat, it's like the old saying: Yesterday's shower won't keep me clean today. :p now, if I could only get you to see things my way about Zach Wilson!!! :D

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage and @keets - it is possible to disagree about sports without making personal attacks on people. Please look into those options instead of continuing to find ways to dig at each other on here.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

@keets said:
    Mark, isn't that sort of what I've been trying to tell this homer?? be prepared to hear that you don't know what you're talking about and that you must not have watched any games.

oh yeah, I agree with you 100%. what happened 3-4 weeks ago doesn't mean squat, it's like the old saying: Yesterday's shower won't keep me clean today. :p now, if I could only get you to see things my way about Zach Wilson!!! :D

Ha! Yeah I don't care. One also has to remember that Baylor had a long Covid pause and actually had players who had Covid. It took them awhile to roll again after that long break. If not for that they may have been undefeated. Head to head is all that matters. Common opponents? That's when you know you are losing the debate. We all saw when happened last night when the lights were the brightest.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    It doesn't matter what team A did against team B earlier in the year. Means squat. All that matters is who is last man standing. In this case it was Baylor. It was men against boys last night. Baylor might be one of the best teams I've seen the last few years.

The Zags had a WONDERFUL season but last night was no shocker. Major conferences knock the snot out of each other all season. I think Gonzaga got a taste of what playing 4 or 5 good teams in a row felt like. They weren't ready to go when they needed to be most.

m

Agreed. The best teams find a way to win under adverse circumstances when a championship (and an undefeated season) is at stake.

• Options
    edited April 6, 2021 4:18PM

What happened last night to Gonzaga was a combination of factors:

1) Being tired. As Grant Hill, who was quite familiar with playing "multiple good teams in a row", said during the game, it can take a long time to recover from an OT, demanding game like Gonzaga had just played. What Hill said was that he was still tired a week later after Duke's famous game with Kentucky, let alone 2 days later. It was obvious in some of the general sloppiness and half-step-slow stuff that Gonzaga wasn't physically ready. Stuff happens.

2) Baylor was extremely physical and were allowed to be. They were bumping and reaching on pretty much every possession. You can't always defend that way - see the 2017 UNC/Gonzaga final that was called significantly tighter than last night's game - but they were allowed to do that and were extremely successful as a result.

3) Gonzaga was hurt by Jalen Suggs getting 2 fouls early. His first foul was a poor call. That said, he's gotta be smarter and not get the 2nd foul he got.

4) Let's give the real credit where it belongs - Baylor played out of their minds. They rebounded like demons and shot the lights out from distance. There was NOBODY in college basketball beating them last night. No one.

Gonzaga came up short last night in the title game. It happens. That's not an indictment of their program or anything else. It just means Baylor was better last night. Gonzaga will be back again next year - they're already ranked #1 in some early polls and (most likely) have the #1 high school recruit coming in. They've played in 2 of the last 4 title games - nobody else can say that. Would Gonzaga have been 31-0 in other conferences? Probably not. Would they have been the Pac-12, ACC, SEC, Big East, or B1G champions? Yes. At worst, they'd have been 2nd place in the Big 12. They played four Big 12 teams - Kansas, West Virginia, Oklahoma, and Baylor - and went 3-1. They destroyed Kansas and Oklahoma winning both by big margins that weren't even as close as the final scores.

I don't understand the vitriol directed at Gonzaga. Yeah, they lost. But when Michigan got lit up in the title in 2018 or Michigan State did in 2009, did people immediately run out and yell about their conference or how overrated they were? Of course not, they celebrated the victorious team. So let's do that here - Baylor was the #1 team in the country last and are deserving champions.

• Options
    edited April 6, 2021 7:08PM

Tabe great post. Lots of salient talking points. I think part of the vitriol was aimed above the bow of the OP who was jamming Gonzaga's greatness down the our throat for quite awhile. Some good old fashioned ribbing.

Some react differently to condescending posts and posters then others I suppose.

I was rooting for Gonzaga so to see history but from the opening tip I think everyone knew it was lights out.

Yes I just saw a pre season poll today where Gonzaga was #1, Michigan #2 and # OSU #3 Maryland a#4. U of Michigan has by far and away the # 1 recruiting class coming in for 2022. They also lose some key players. The Zags will miss Suggs a lot. But get another great player in. Lose some key players. Nice bench to fill from. But you still have to lace them up and scrap for every loose ball.

Oh and yes I fell on the sword when Michigan got drilled in 2018 against Nova. Loses like that and the Zags loss last night make it easy to sleep it off. They were no contests. As far as MSU getting torched by NC in 2009 I couldn't have been happier. I won a 5 figure pool and Spartie lost. Win win

m

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@spacehayduke said:

@Goldenage said:

Lol. Then why didn't Baylor take care of a small league team when they lost their conference championship this year ?
    OSU got smacked by Oregon State in the 2nd round, but beat Baylor. Baylor couldn't win the Big 12 because of OSU ? LOL.

OSU did not have the talent. Baylor won. It all. Don't you get it?

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@Goldenage said:

Gonzaga was tired last night and it showed.

L. M. F. A. O. Seriously?

• Options

@Goldenage said:

You're really low class.

You, don't, lose, well.............

And Crawford just hit a home run! Go Giants!

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2021 8:14PM

when a team goes undefeated for an entire season, only to never once have the lead in the championship game, there is not one thing you can say to mitigate your prognostication error. no one of sound mind who watched last night's game thought at any time that Gonzaga was the better of the two teams. and that's not a knock against the Zags. exceptional team, exceptional season. but they got their asses kicked all over the court by a team that stepped on their necks from the opening tap and never let up, so just give Baylor props and leave it at that. breaking out a transitive property game in order to save face is not becoming.

• Options

@galaxy27 your points are even better

m

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    when a team goes undefeated for an entire season, only to never once have the lead in the championship game, there is not one thing you can say to mitigate your prognostication error. no one of sound mind who watched last night's game thought at any time that Gonzaga was the better of the two teams. and that's not a knock against the Zags. exceptional team, exceptional season. but they got their asses kicked all over the court by a team that stepped on their necks from the opening tap and never let up, so just give Baylor props and leave it at that. breaking out a transitive property game in order to save face is not becoming.

@galaxy27 You are a man after my own heart. I love to reference the transitive property.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

Yes I just saw a pre season poll today where Gonzaga was #1, Michigan #2 and # OSU #3 Maryland a#4. U of Michigan has by far and away the # 1 recruiting class coming in for 2022.

The numbers I'm seeing put Michigan at a slight edge for #1 in recruiting. Gonzaga is down at #31 but have the #6 recruit committed and will have the #1 (who isn't counted in the team rankings) in a week or two.

Either way, both schools should be really good for the foreseeable future.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gonzaga was fun to follow this season, it was a magical run they had, and I appreciate Goldenage starting this thread. He started the thread back in December, and they didn't lose a game until the last one of the college basketball season. I'd say his prediction was pretty damn close to coming true.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Tabe great post. Lots of salient talking points. I think part of the vitriol was aimed above the bow of the OP who was jamming Gonzaga's greatness down the our throat for quite awhile.

m

The OP was so excited to see team basketball at it's best. In the USC game, they played team defense, often switching to help on the low post, and they pass the ball on offense and share the ball because there are no superstars. All five players play for each other. They play as a team. It was so refreshing to see team basketball, and to see that team have success at it.

No one is jamming anything down anyone's throat on these boards. You have the freedom to not read anything that is written on these boards. If you don't like or care about a thread, you have the choice to not read it. Did someone put a gun to your head to read this comment ? No, you chose to read it. Therefore, no one is jamming anything down anyone's throat.

Next year when you see a Gonzaga thread, don't open it. Your life isn't worth the aggravation. Enjoy a thread on Michigan instead. Start a thread. Share your excitement for the team. I won't come and rain on your parade if they lose to UCLA in the final four next year.

• Options

He started the thread back in December, and they didn't lose a game until the last one of the college basketball season

consider their schedule, very soft after the Holidays until the Tournament. . JMHO, they should probably schedule the elite Teams later than sooner, a season has a way of evening out that way. and to Baylor, they play in a much more competitive Conference as do the other Top Teams. Gonzaga does what it can to play the best Teams, but it just isn't the same.

• Options
    edited April 7, 2021 9:29AM

Thank you for posting - Have not thought about Bill the cat in years!

• Options

@keets said:
    He started the thread back in December, and they didn't lose a game until the last one of the college basketball season

consider their schedule, very soft after the Holidays until the Tournament. . JMHO, they should probably schedule the elite Teams later than sooner, a season has a way of evening out that way. and to Baylor, they play in a much more competitive Conference as do the other Top Teams. Gonzaga does what it can to play the best Teams, but it just isn't the same.

They can't schedule teams from other conferences later. There simply aren't any open dates.

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with their conference. They didn't lose the national title in 2017 because their conference isn't great. They lost it because of overzealous officiating and a wet floor that took out their PG when they were leading with 2 minutes to play. They didn't lose to Baylor because their conference isn't good - they lost because Baylor played better. Same as Butler didn't lose to UConn and Duke because their conference wasn't good but because the other teams played better. If Baylor plays anyone else on Monday night, they blow them out, too. Michigan, Ohio State, Illinois, Kansas, whoever - they get run off the court. And it wouldn't be because their conference wasn't good, it would be because Baylor was better.

Why does it have to be the conference? Why can't it just be that the other guys played better?

• Options

my point is that it is easier to assess a Team against better quality opponents later in the season than earlier.

• Options

@keets said:
    my point is that it is easier to assess a Team against better quality opponents later in the season than earlier.

OK. That's not what I got from your post but it makes sense.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually don't follow college sports until, in this case, they get to the final 4. I tuned into the game and fell for the hype expecting a back and forth game. Jim Nance at the beginning, just before tip off, stated we were getting ready for history. Must of meant Gonzaga with a win would be historical (undefeated) or a Baylor win, being their first ship. He was correct on this point. One thing noticeable to me was 2 of the Baylor players had a size advantage. And the pace of Baylor from the onset was very noticeable. They were relentless. There was one reason I was hoping for a Baylor win, which due to a political/non sport related reason, is better left unsaid/inferred due to the rules of the forum.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2021 5:40PM