Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

The 1840 La Rioja “Rebel Peso”

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 25, 2020 3:41PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I would love to start a series of threads leveraging the deep knowledge of many on this forum to more thoroughly explore interesting issues across a variety of series. Here is a start!

Key Coins: The 1840 La Rioja “Rebel Peso”

The La Rioja 8 Reales comes in two distinct types; one with the legend honoring General Rosas, the dictator overseeing the Argentinian Confederation from Buenas Aires, and another, which this feature is about, which La Rioja Governor Tomas Bizuela altered in support of open rebellion against Rosas.

In 1840, the legends of the Rosas honoring Argentinian Confederation 8 Reales were altered from “Repub. Argentina Confederada” and “Eterno loor al Restaurador Rosas” (Eternal praise for the Restaurador Rosas) to the Rebel backed “Republica Argentina” En Union y Libertad” (In union and freedom”

Brizuela, a previous Rosas supporter, disagreed with the dictators totalitarian policies governing the Confederation, including the lack of a central constitution. The point of why Brizuela’s led the rebellion is important as it has long influenced the naming of this piece. The “Rebel Peso” has often been called the “Unitarian” issue due to the rebellion being linked to the Unitarian factions in the Confederation who wanted to unify Argentina. Mariano Cohen’s recent work clearly expands on this simplified view of Brizuelas (and the Northern Coalitions) motivations and concludes that there was a more complex set of issues which led to a rebellion against the totalitarian Rosas. With that, the generally accepted term has been confirmed to the “Rebel” vs. “Unitarian”

In September 1840, Brizuela and the various other governors of the northern provinces signed the Treaty of the Northern Coalition which consisted of 14 articles laying out an offensive and defensive alliance and naming Brizuela as the General and Governor.

The Rebel forces experienced staggering defeats at the hands of Rosas and Brizuela was killed in March 1841.

What remains of the ill-fated rebellion is the “Rebel Peso” which is the key silver coin to the Argentinian series.

This text borrowed heavily from Mariano Cohen’s work linked here: https://ifinra.files.wordpress.com/2020/10/rebeldes-riojanas-1840.pdf

I was privileged to recently acquire what may be the finest extranet Rebel Peso from @MrEureka. Previous to MrE, the piece was in the Millennia Collection sold by Goldberg in 2008. Previous to the Goldberg sale, the piece was in there FCC Boyd Collection sold at the Superior 1975 ANA sale. @Pruebas suggests that Don Canaparo purchased the coin out of the 1975 sale and was the intermediate owner between Boyd’s estate and Millennia. While Boyd’s world collection was dispersed in 1975, he passed away in 1958 with the majority of his collection being formed in the 20’s-40’s culminating with the sale of his US coins in the Worlds Greatest Collection sale in 1946. So with that linage, the ownership of this coin is reasonably clear going back almost 100 years.

Comments

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2020 4:40PM

I believe John J Ford Jr bought the Boyd Collection from Boyd’s widow and owned it until he consigned those world coins to the 1975 ANA sale.

So you need to search the old catalogs to see where Boyd got it.

Did you check Peltzer?

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    I believe John J Ford Jr bought the Boyd Collection from Boyd’s widow and owned it until he consigned those world coins to the 1975 ANA sale.

So you need to search the old catalogs to see where Boyd got it.

Did you check Peltzer?

I have not. You are much more knowledgable than I am about sales especially those dating back that far. I’d take any recommendations of places to look.

The Peltzer sale had a lot of rare American crowns, both US and Latin. One of my rare Mexican patterns came out of that sale.

I’m sure you know where my copy is..... Maybe @MrEureka has his copy more reality accessible. ;)

Wouldn’t it be nice if all these old catalogs were online?

The Newman Portal is only getting started.

@pruebas said:
    Wouldn’t it be nice if all these old catalogs were online?

The Newman Portal is only getting started.

I was on the portal as you replied and they have Glendinings up to 1923. The search capability on the portal needs work too.

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I gave up on the portal a while ago. I can never find anything there.

I think Peltzer was 1927.

The interface needs work, but there’s a lot of great information there. Once they get a good UI designer, it will be immediately transformed.

You can also check books by (Alejandro?) Rosas. He is a classic author from Argentina (1880s to 1900-ish). His books are worth owning, but very expensive.

Next time you are in NYC, make a stop at the ANS library.

@JohnnyCache said:
    Wow, really sums it up for me.

Boosibri you've really made, as what may possible only be described as, a quantum leap in your numismatic endeavors. Your exquisite 1733 4 reales, your Coquimbo peso and now this piece. I believe I am having the unique privilege of watching, first hand, while enjoying it all vicariously through you, the formation of what is destined to be a legendary collection, and getting to see it all, including your numismatic transformation, in real time. Bravo and congratulations.

Thanks but really MrEureka gets all credit, most have been his coins or coins he had access to.

I would like to write up a few other issues if there is interest and invite others to do the same.

@JohnnyCache said:
    Wow, really sums it up for me.

Boosibri you've really made, as what may possible only be described as, a quantum leap in your numismatic endeavors. Your exquisite 1733 4 reales, your Coquimbo peso and now this piece. I believe I am having the unique privilege of watching, first hand, while enjoying it all vicariously through you, the formation of what is destined to be a legendary collection, and getting to see it all, including your numismatic transformation, in real time. Bravo and congratulations.

It’ll be a monumental sale when he changes direction (or has to put the kid through college)!

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    The Peltzer sale had a lot of rare American crowns, both US and Latin. One of my rare Mexican patterns came out of that sale.

I’m sure you know where my copy is..... Maybe @MrEureka has his copy more reality accessible. ;)

It’s not in Peltzer. Also not in Ulex. I’ll look at some others later.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

For anyone interested, here is a digital copy of Ulex that I found: http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglitData/tmp/pdf/hess_nachf1908_05_11.pdf

• EddiEddi Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very interesting post and coin.
    Thank you, Brian, for posting the link to that article by Mariano Cohen - I learnt a lot. I did not know that Rosas was such an unsavoury and brutal character. Brizuela, Governor of la Rioja really did no stand a chance in his struggle against him.