Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should PCGS let you build and sell your own TrueView-powered Calendar?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 24, 2020 1:22PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Given how many of us have coins with TrueViews, I was wondering if PCGS should allow:

1. people to create custom calendars with their own coins
  2. sell and make money on those calendars on the PCGS store (with PCGS getting a large cut of course)

I love the coins in the PCGS calendar but given my focus on exonumia, patterns, and lowballs, it would be great to also have calendars focused more in those areas.

Other ideas include:

1. having groups of like minded collectors collaborate with their coins
  2. having the ability to add any TrueViewed coin to a custom calendar
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a bad idea, but the minimum order quantity would eat our lunch. A thread idea might be............ show us 12 TrueView coins that would make up your custom PCGS calendar.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I wanted a calendar, I'd just go to one of the many online places, upload my pictures, and have it in about a week.

• Options
    EdGOhioEdGOhio Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

Probably the biggest issue is the copyright ownership of the images. I haven't read their policy on this, just did, but if you paid for them to create images it doesn't necessarily mean you own the rights to those images beyond personal use or educational materials.
    from PCGS: https://www.pcgs.com/trueview
    "What are the Terms of Use and who ‘owns' the image of the coin?
    Note that PCGS retains the image rights to the coin and may use the imagery as we see fit. That said, you are free to use the TrueView images however you like. This may include online sales or Set Registry listings, personal photo albums, or the creation of wall art or other décor that feature your coins."

With that being said you could make a offer to retain those rights and use those particular images as you see fit.

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.

• Albert Einstein
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2020 2:14PM

@jessewvu said:
    If I wanted a calendar, I'd just go to one of the many online places, upload my pictures, and have it in about a week.

True, but it could be nice to share and have others buy your calendar.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

This idea sounds like a complete nonstarter from an economic standpoint.

• Options
    edited December 24, 2020 4:47PM

@CoinJunkie said:
    This idea sounds like a complete nonstarter from an economic standpoint.

Why would you think so? @jessewvu indicates it can be done pretty economically.

Imagine if Hansen, Simpson, Tyrant and others created calendars for their collections? I personally wouldn't mind a Hansen or Simpson calendar :)

From the PCGS perspective, imagine if the calendars were tied to PCGS Registry Sets?

• Options

I would imagine that a decent percentage of the calendars produced by PCGS are given away to members, as opposed to sold at full price. Calendars also have a rather limited shelf life. When you then factor in the additional amount of labor required to co-ordinate and produce alternate calendars, it just doesn't seem to make sense to me for PCGS to take this on.

That said, they might give a private party license to manage the production of an alternate TrueView calendar, and potentially even allow sales of it through their web site. Even that requires logistical support on their end, though. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

• Options
    edited December 24, 2020 4:58PM

@CoinJunkie said:
    I would imagine that a decent percentage of the calendars produced by PCGS are given away to members, as opposed to sold at full price. Calendars also have a rather limited shelf life. When you then factor in the additional amount of labor required to co-ordinate and produce alternate calendars, it just doesn't seem to make sense to me for PCGS to take this on.

Imagine a PCGS+DLRC or PCGS+Legend calendar :)

• Options

@Zoins said:

@CoinJunkie said:

That said, they might give a private party license to manage the production of an alternate TrueView calendar, and potentially even allow sales of it through their web site. Even that requires logistical support on their end, though. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

Honestly, I don't have any use for printed calendars these days.

• Options
    edited December 24, 2020 4:58PM

@CoinJunkie said:

@Zoins said:

@CoinJunkie said:

Honestly, I don't have any use for printed calendars these days.

Understood. You're probably not the target audience if you don't even have a use for the current PCGS calendar.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

We keep a calendar in the shed with the butter churner but who else does?

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two words: Thin market.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is why there are custom sets in the registry.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure make our own calendar with our favorite coin....

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2020 2:36PM

I would imagine that it would not be too difficult to use the TrueViews and make your own calendar. The quality of the printing would be a drawback for me, using my bubble jet printer. If i remember correctly, didn't a forum member make similar quality calendars?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would enjoy a calendar with my own coins on it much more than coins I would never have a chance to own.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

make your own at shutterfly

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has been many years since I have had a calendar of any type... Been on computers for a long, long time.... Perhaps an online subscription for a new screen saver each month with a high resolution image of a coin - or coins.
    That would fit with computers or smart phones....and save a bundle in printing, marketing, logistics. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited December 26, 2020 7:29AM

@jabba said:
    I was just thinking about that after getting my in the mail it would be awesome to put ones own coins in there

Imagine one with all beaver coins?

• Options
    edited December 26, 2020 7:51AM

@davewesen said:
    make your own at shutterfly

Given how easy it is to do with Shutterfly, I imagine it wouldn't be overly difficult for PCGS to create such a service. They could possibly even work with Shutterfly! If they partnered with Shutterfly, I imagine it wouldn't need to cost PCGS much at all.

I'd love to have the PCGS logo on it :)

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

I may be in the minority but i still keep a good ole fashioned printed calendar hanging in my kitchen. I use electronic calendars as well but its nice to have the easy visibility of the printed calendar. Doing both is allowed ;)

• Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

"It has been many years since I have had a calendar of any type... Been on computers for a long, long time.... Perhaps an online subscription for a new screen saver each month with a high resolution image of a coin - or coins.
    That would fit with computers or smart phones....and save a bundle in printing, marketing, logistics. Cheers, RickO"

I think a TrueView of the day wallpaper subscription would be great. Maybe included for a fee with Collectors Club membership.

Mark

Mark
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EdGOhio said:
    Probably the biggest issue is the copyright ownership of the images. I haven't read their policy on this, just did, but if you paid for them to create images it doesn't necessarily mean you own the rights to those images beyond personal use or educational materials.
    Note that PCGS retains the image rights to the coin and may use the imagery as we see fit. That said, you are free to use the TrueView images however you like. This may include online sales or Set Registry listings, personal photo albums, or the creation of wall art or other décor that feature your coins."

With that being said you could make a offer to retain those rights and use those particular images as you see fit.

Given the price that is paid for CU stock in the buy-out I would not expect anything to be given away for free.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2020 8:18AM

@291fifth said:

@EdGOhio said:

Given the price that is paid for CU stock in the buy-out I would not expect anything to be given away for free.

Not even lunches? ;)

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

copyright:
    the creator owns the copyright! Always, except if it specifically is sold or transferred.
    example:
    Jack hands Joe his camera for Joe to take a picture of Jack.
    in this case, even though it is Jack's camera, technically and lawfully, Joe owns the copyright to the picture as he is the creator of it.
    I believe from my own experience a few years back that our host takes copyright infringement very seriously.
    The case:
    I had posted my images of an unusually scarce l Canada 10 mint error, an 11 cent Mule
    a couple of months later pictures of my coin appeared in a certain Canadian publication. The images were copied from this site and used in a for-profit Canadian publication without my permission.
    I contacted our host asking if they gave permission to use the images. The reply was very clear. We did not, as we do not have rights to something we do not own.
    Here is an image of the coin.even though I sold the coin, I still own the rights to the Images I took.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

@YQQ said:
    copyright:
    the creator owns the copyright! Always, except if it specifically is sold or transferred.
    example:
    Jack hands Joe his camera for Joe to take a picture of Jack.
    in this case, even though it is Jack's camera, technically and lawfully, Joe owns the copyright to the picture as he is the creator of it.
    I believe from my own experience a few years back that our host takes copyright infringement very seriously.
    The case:
    I had posted my images of an unusually scarce l Canada 10 mint error, an 11 cent Mule
    a couple of months later pictures of my coin appeared in a certain Canadian publication. The images were copied from this site and used in a for-profit Canadian publication without my permission.
    I contacted our host asking if they gave permission to use the images. The reply was very clear. We did not, as we do not have rights to something we do not own.
    Here is an image of the coin.even though I sold the coin, I still own the rights to the Images I took.

Did you send a C&D to the Canadian publication? If so, what was the response?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@291fifth said:

@EdGOhio said:

Not even lunches? ;)

Not even free bags of peanuts.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zoins

we settled out of Court
    The interesting thing is that I had sent questions about the hystory of this coin to the publications error man (he is still there) and he ignored my emails.
    Later he picked up the images from this forum.. That was when I had enough. The then owner was also not receptive to anything
    I originally did not ask for compensation. But when the owner had the guts to say: we only pay $50 for pictures, that was when the proverbial......hit the fan. I had asked for nothing...
    eventually an agreement was reached which they honored for out of three year subscription we had agreed on.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2020 9:53AM

@YQQ said:
    Zoins

we settled out of Court
    The interesting thing is that I had sent questions about the hystory of this coin to the publications error man (he is still there) and he ignored my emails.
    Later he picked up the images from this forum.. That was when I had enough. The then owner was also not receptive to anything
    I originally did not ask for compensation. But when the owner had the guts to say: we only pay $50 for pictures, that was when the proverbial......hit the fan. I had asked for nothing...
    eventually an agreement was reached which they honored for out of three year subscription we had agreed on.

Crazy way to do business. I'm glad it worked out.

It is interesting that some top collectors specifically instruct PCGS to not photograph their coins.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are print-on-demand sites where you can upload images and they will make a calendar.

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:
    There are print-on-demand sites where you can upload images and they will make a calendar.

yes: You can make your own calendars using CVS or Walgreens photo sites and pick up at the store or mail. Other photo sites like Snapfish or Photo Book America all have templates to let you create your own custom calendars. with so much time on my hands this year with the stay at home orders I made a photo album of one my sets and it came out quite nice. However, the photos are not as crisp as a glossy print shot but still nice.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file