Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Simpson's Amazing 1804 10 Dollar Eagles in Gold and Silver

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 25, 2021 10:29AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Simpson's 1804 Eagles are out of this world.

He has the following:

• Sultan of Muscat, Sayyid Sa'id-bin-Sultan, specimen in Gold
  • King of Egypt, Farouk bin Fuad, specimen in Silver

1804 $10 Eagle - Gold - PCGS PR65+DCAM POP 1/0 CAC - Ex-Sayyid Sa'id-bin-Sultan, Colonel Green, Farish Baldenhofer, John Albanese, Scott Rudolph, Bob Simpson

Full provenance from Heritage:

Philadelphia Mint in 1834, part of the Sultan of Muscat diplomatic presentation proof set; Sayyid Sa'id-bin-Sultan, Sultan of Muscat; unknown intermediaries; "Col." E.H.R. Green; Green estate, Chase Manhattan National Bank, executors; purchased by Stack's in 1943; probably purchased privately by Clifford T. Weihman; sold privately in 1947 for $7,500, to Farish Baldenhofer; Farish Baldenhofer Collection (Stack's, 11/1955), lot 1459; unknown intermediaries; Rare and Important U.S. Gold Coins (Stack's, 10/1988), lot 119; Spectrum Numismatics; purchased by John Albanese, circa 2002, for $600,000; sold to Lee Numismatics; John Albanese; sold to Albanese Rare Coins (David Albanese); Canadian collector, at a reported $900,000; Maryland collector, at a reported $2 million; Scott Rudolph, circa 2007, for a reported $5 million, via David Albanese; John Albanese, on consignment from Rudolph; Legend Numismatics in 2010; Simpson Collection. The plate coin in David Akers Gold Pattern reference. Note: some researchers have suggested this coin was owned by Baltimore collector Waldo Newcomer and, possibly, William Woodin before it passed to Colonel Green. This seems unlikely, as there is no record of the coin in the Newcomer Inventory.

1804 $10 Eagle - Silver - PCGS PR64 POP 2/1/0 - Ex-Farouk bin Fuad, Dr. Conway Bolt, Eduard Kann, Bob Simpson

If there's one pattern (die trial) that stands out as the one to have from Simpson's upcoming sale, this Farouk specimen might be it.

Full provenance from Heritage:

King Farouk; Palace Collections of Egypt (Sotheby's, 2/1954), lot 1708; Dr. Conway Bolt Collection (Stack's, 4/1966), lot 1609; Eduard Kann Collection (Abner Kreisberg, 9/1971), lot 700; unknown intermediaries; Simpson Collection.

Comments

• Options
    SilverEagle1974SilverEagle1974 Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2020 2:12AM

So, was this produced in the 1830's or later ??

I know that Proof coins did NOT normally make it to the general public until 1860 as a market.

What allowed the Mint to produce coins with an earlier date ??
    Wouldn't that be like making 1950-dated coins in 2020 ??

Or was this considered okay because the Proof coin was NOT yet publicly marketed until 1860 ??

Chris

• Options
    edited December 24, 2020 5:26AM

@SilverEagle1974 said:

I know that Proof coins did NOT normally make it to the general public until 1860 as a market.

Or was this considered okay because the Proof coin was NOT yet publicly marketed until 1860 ??

Chris

It was made as part of the process to create the 1804 Dollar sets so it's like making 1804 dollars in the 1830s.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverEagle1974 said:

Chris

Keep in mind, regardless of when they were actually struck or the date they displayed, patterns were not intended to be marketed to the general public.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited December 24, 2020 6:14AM

I wonder if the winner of this with either have an 1804 dollar already or soon be on the hunt for one. It would be great to have a matching set.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one super amazing specimen.... A real pleasure to look at. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Zoins said:
    I wonder if the winner of this with either have an 1804 dollar already or soon be on the hunt for one. It would be great to have a matching set.

I think it would make a far better companion for the gold version of the 1804 Proof Eagle.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited December 24, 2020 6:31AM

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

I think it would make a far better companion for the gold version of the 1804 Proof Eagle.

Visually, they would be more of a match for what was issued, but they are both silver, and the silver eagle is even more rare than the silver dollar!

I did add Simpson's Sultan of Muscat gold (also struck in 1830s) for easier comparison :)

• Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing one of a kind coins. Would make sense to obtain both to keep as a pair. Deep pockets needed though.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2020 7:27AM

I was offered the gold one above for $550k in about 1999 or so. Still kick myself over passing

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:
    I was offered the gold one above for $550k in about 1999 or so. Still kick myself over passing

Bruce, I have no idea whether that would have been a lot to pay, then. But I’m curious, in passing, what was your thinking?

• Options
    edited December 24, 2020 7:37AM

@MFeld said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Bruce, I have no idea whether that would have been a lot to pay, then. But I’m curious, in passing, what was your thinking?

A] I didn’t know the history of the coin
    B] I didn’t collect gold
    C] seller also had the Eliasberg 1884 trade dollar for sale and I couldn’t afford both

The price quoted was greysheet bid at the time.

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:

@MFeld said:

@tradedollarnut said:

A] I didn’t know the history of the coin
    B] I didn’t collect gold
    C] seller also had the Eliasberg 1884 trade dollar for sale and I couldn’t afford both

The price quoted was greysheet bid at the time.

Thank you. It doesn’t sound to me like you should be kicking yourself.

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:
    FYI - 2 were minted in 1834 and 2 more in 1835. If this is indeed the Sultan of Muscat example [the evidence is circumstantial- there were other 1834 proofs in the same collection and it was the only remaining intact proof set actually presented overseas] then this one was minted in 1834.

I love this stuff!

• Options

@MFeld said:

@SilverEagle1974 said:

Chris

Keep in mind, regardless of when they were actually struck or the date they displayed, patterns were not intended to be marketed to the general public.

Actually, this is incorrect. Trade dollar patterns [in sets of 6] were marketed to the general public

• Options
    edited December 28, 2020 3:04PM

@tradedollarnut said:

@MFeld said:

@SilverEagle1974 said:

Chris

Actually, this is incorrect. Trade dollar patterns [in sets of 6] were marketed to the general public

As I was posting that, I was thinking that I should include language which allowed for very rare exceptions. I should have done so. Thanks for setting the record straight.

• Options
    edited January 25, 2021 2:42AM

What's really amazing about these two coins is that they were both purchased by forum members! Congrats!

I've added the Heritage links up top now that the auction is over.

Here are the threads for more:

The gold is a Heritage homepage coin now.

• Options

:)

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Restrikes, beautiful yet still restrikes.....something I just dislike about restrikes.

• Options

@trueblood said:
    Restrikes, beautiful yet still restrikes.....something I just dislike about restrikes.

Incorrect. Novodels is the proper term

• Options
    Dwight_MDwight_M Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

“Restrike” is used to describe a coin or medal struck after the date of the original die, and from a die that struck a coin earlier.
    1804 bust dollars were never made. And tens only for circulation. So technically these are not restrikes. They are from new dies with an older date and authorized by the president of the United States. The coins made for the king of Siam and the sultan are the best pedigree possible ! Now the dollars coined after the sets were made, those could be called restrikes and were not ordered by the president as gifts to foreign rulers ...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file