Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Coin Analyst: The Best Performing Modern Coins of 2020

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 25, 2020 5:01PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The Coin Analyst: The Best Performing Modern Coins of 2020

Nice article by Louis Golino:

https://coinweek.com/world-coins/the-coin-analyst-the-best-performing-modern-coins-of-2020/

The top US Coins:

  1. V75
  2. WWII and Mayflower

World Coins

  1. Starry Night
  2. Una and the Lion
  3. Octagonal Lafayette Coin
  4. Kookaburra Turns 30
  5. Homer Simpson in High Relief

Comments

  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I disagree ;)

    I saw a 2020 Quarter go for $3000

  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well I can understand the ASE and AGE 75th Anniversary coins being so popular. The others seem the kind that only applies to niche collectors or spontaneous purchases.... I could be wrong... Cheers, RickO

  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2020 1:42PM

    @Hydrant said:
    Homer Simpson in High Relief. That pretty much sums it up.

    For the coins or the collectors ;)

  • ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

    picked up the una & lion [great engravers uk version] in 2019 and was shocked to see it be selling for well over 10,000 in pf70 [as it cost just over $200 on issue] - sent it in for grading, got a pf70 back - p happy with that purchase

    also have the lafayette octagonal medal from monnaie de paris - it's a strange and beautiful piece with apparently modest appreciation - looking forward to future issues in that series, esp if they continue issuing octagonal medals

    Homer? puzzle coin? to each their own ✌

  • CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

    V75’s were popular in 2020- Breaking News! 😂

    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • The Lafayette octagon is really nice IMHO.

    Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    picked up the una & lion [great engravers uk version] in 2019 and was shocked to see it be selling for well over 10,000 in pf70 [as it cost just over $200 on issue] - sent it in for grading, got a pf70 back - p happy with that purchase

    also have the lafayette octagonal medal from monnaie de paris - it's a strange and beautiful piece with apparently modest appreciation - looking forward to future issues in that series, esp if they continue issuing octagonal medals

    Homer? puzzle coin? to each their own ✌

    Do you have any pics of these?

  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    picked up the una & lion [great engravers uk version] in 2019 and was shocked to see it be selling for well over 10,000 in pf70 [as it cost just over $200 on issue] - sent it in for grading, got a pf70 back - p happy with that purchase

    also have the lafayette octagonal medal from monnaie de paris - it's a strange and beautiful piece with apparently modest appreciation - looking forward to future issues in that series, esp if they continue issuing octagonal medals

    >
    I sure wish I knew about both as I would have bought them.

  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2020 5:08AM

    @coinsarefun said:

    @ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    picked up the una & lion [great engravers uk version] in 2019 and was shocked to see it be selling for well over 10,000 in pf70 [as it cost just over $200 on issue] - sent it in for grading, got a pf70 back - p happy with that purchase

    also have the lafayette octagonal medal from monnaie de paris - it's a strange and beautiful piece with apparently modest appreciation - looking forward to future issues in that series, esp if they continue issuing octagonal medals

    I sure wish I knew about both as I would have bought them.

    The Lafayette octagonals are still available:

    But Una and the Lion, with a mintage of 3000, is no longer available:

  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2020 5:10AM

    @Hydrant said:
    Homer Simpson in High Relief. That pretty much sums it up.

    Maybe in English, but not in French!

    Of course, the Smurfs are perfect for classic coin fans because they wear Phrygian caps like Lady Liberty!

    https://www.monnaiedeparis.fr/fr/boutique/monnaies/schtroumpfs#/

  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Thanks @Zoins , I was going to order the Lafayette octagonals
    But, super disappointed that I missed the Una and the Lion. I was looking
    at, eBay prices for secondary market and pfffft........ crazy maybe they will drop in a few years.
    Th gold is super pretty

  • ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @bolivarshagnasty said:

    @ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    picked up the una & lion [great engravers uk version] in 2019 and was shocked to see it be selling for well over 10,000 in pf70 [as it cost just over $200 on issue] - sent it in for grading, got a pf70 back - p happy with that purchase

    also have the lafayette octagonal medal from monnaie de paris - it's a strange and beautiful piece with apparently modest appreciation - looking forward to future issues in that series, esp if they continue issuing octagonal medals

    Homer? puzzle coin? to each their own ✌

    Do you have any pics of these?

    can break em out this weekend and take some pics

  • ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @coinsarefun said:

    @ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    picked up the una & lion [great engravers uk version] in 2019 and was shocked to see it be selling for well over 10,000 in pf70 [as it cost just over $200 on issue] - sent it in for grading, got a pf70 back - p happy with that purchase

    also have the lafayette octagonal medal from monnaie de paris - it's a strange and beautiful piece with apparently modest appreciation - looking forward to future issues in that series, esp if they continue issuing octagonal medals

    >
    I sure wish I knew about both as I would have bought them.

    the monnaie de paris doesn't have the best system/comms for new releases - they have some products that, even when released, are difficult to locate on their site, but yes, the lafayette octagons are still available [and if they're not, enter email for reminder]

    the royal mint is getting better with their system/comms for new releases, but [unless you know another way] you have to 'register your interest' in each range separately, making it challenging to be notified of new ranges being released

    I remember when the great engravers series released, I woke up to check my email and had one from royal mint about the availability of una & the lion coins - snapped up the silver on a whim [love buying first in series while waiting to see what later series offerings look like as the first in the series of world mint offerings is almost always worth more] and very happy I did - only kicking myself now that I didn't snap up the gold as that has abso skyrocketed in value as well, although - as factored by percentage growth from orig issue price - the silver has performed much better

    both of these series look to be promising as far as artfullness of designs and historical content

  • ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @coinsarefun said:
    @ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ good idea.......get on mailing list ;)

    if only it were that simple - for some reason both monnaie and royal mints don't necessarily send you notifications to new releases in their general [e]mailing list - at least that's been my experience

  • ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

    'register your interest' in great engravers

    https://www.royalmint.com/register-interest/greatengravers/

    you'll get an email the day before release - they generally release at 930 GMT so stay up late or get up early - v hot series after secondary market pricing on una and lions

  • ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2020 11:47AM

    and here's the monnaie de paris' 2021 'program'

    https://www.monnaiedeparis.fr/en/shop/programme-2021

    next offering in the 'history of humanity' series

    Major landmarks in the History of Humanity - April 13th and 27th
    Collection coins "Arrival of Washington in Boston" and "200 years of Napoleon’s death"

    heads up that the monnaie de paris sometimes releases issues on date of issue, sometime the next day; it's a crap shoot with them ...

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 30,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

    @coinsarefun said:
    @ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ good idea.......get on mailing list ;)

    if only it were that simple - for some reason both monnaie and royal mints don't necessarily send you notifications to new releases in their general [e]mailing list - at least that's been my experience

    Yes. As much as we complain about the US Mint - and it is flawed - UK and France really have retail sites that are relics of the 20th century.

  • ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

    it's fascinating to me, though - with some of the mintages on their products [10k, 5k, 3k, 1.5k; mintages that abso destroy the us mint site], purchasing them is p easy, however mangled their comms strategy is 😂

  • ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

    also, royal mint just did a whole site design overhaul in oct or early nov, and the backend / comms is still p garbage 😄

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 30,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    it's fascinating to me, though - with some of the mintages on their products [10k, 5k, 3k, 1.5k; mintages that abso destroy the us mint site], purchasing them is p easy, however mangled their comms strategy is 😂

    It's more about demand than supply. There are a lot of world NCLT coins with under 1000 mintages that are barely more than bullion. There's just not enough collector interest.

    If I were 25, I think I'd speculate on some of those countries. I would avoid island nations and small entities, but larger entities that aren't that heavily collected (yet). There's a lot of room for appreciation and little risk for bullion items compared to U.S. coins.

    You can see what happened to the China market in the last 20 years. India has also showed signs of appreciating. There is still room in places like Mexico and Brazil, even in the classic coin market.

    Some of the African countries issue some fun NCLT.

    It's fun, it's pretty, it's relatively cheap. I know I'll get flamed for the apostasy, but there are some really nice, scarce coins in that area.

    There's 1 billion Indians. Imagine if 0.01% of them decided they wanted to compete for registry sets of Princely States coins. Imagine if a couple thousand Mexicans wanted to compete for a complete date/mm set of 8 reales.

    And people will scoff at modern NCLT like the Simpsons or Smurfs. But Disney is worldwide. It wouldn't take too many people trying to put together complete sets of Simpson coins to push the market.

  • ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

    good points --- I'm certainly not 25, but enjoy speculating on some of these issues - very accessible and low risk

  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    it's fascinating to me, though - with some of the mintages on their products [10k, 5k, 3k, 1.5k; mintages that abso destroy the us mint site], purchasing them is p easy, however mangled their comms strategy is 😂

    It's more about demand than supply. There are a lot of world NCLT coins with under 1000 mintages that are barely more than bullion. There's just not enough collector interest.

    If I were 25, I think I'd speculate on some of those countries. I would avoid island nations and small entities, but larger entities that aren't that heavily collected (yet). There's a lot of room for appreciation and little risk for bullion items compared to U.S. coins.

    You can see what happened to the China market in the last 20 years. India has also showed signs of appreciating. There is still room in places like Mexico and Brazil, even in the classic coin market.

    Some of the African countries issue some fun NCLT.

    It's fun, it's pretty, it's relatively cheap. I know I'll get flamed for the apostasy, but there are some really nice, scarce coins in that area.

    There's 1 billion Indians. Imagine if 0.01% of them decided they wanted to compete for registry sets of Princely States coins. Imagine if a couple thousand Mexicans wanted to compete for a complete date/mm set of 8 reales.

    We already know what happens when a couple hundred Chinese decide to collect Mexican 8 Reales! ;)

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 30,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @pruebas said:

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    it's fascinating to me, though - with some of the mintages on their products [10k, 5k, 3k, 1.5k; mintages that abso destroy the us mint site], purchasing them is p easy, however mangled their comms strategy is 😂

    It's more about demand than supply. There are a lot of world NCLT coins with under 1000 mintages that are barely more than bullion. There's just not enough collector interest.

    If I were 25, I think I'd speculate on some of those countries. I would avoid island nations and small entities, but larger entities that aren't that heavily collected (yet). There's a lot of room for appreciation and little risk for bullion items compared to U.S. coins.

    You can see what happened to the China market in the last 20 years. India has also showed signs of appreciating. There is still room in places like Mexico and Brazil, even in the classic coin market.

    Some of the African countries issue some fun NCLT.

    It's fun, it's pretty, it's relatively cheap. I know I'll get flamed for the apostasy, but there are some really nice, scarce coins in that area.

    There's 1 billion Indians. Imagine if 0.01% of them decided they wanted to compete for registry sets of Princely States coins. Imagine if a couple thousand Mexicans wanted to compete for a complete date/mm set of 8 reales.

    We already know what happens when a couple hundred Chinese decide to collect Mexican 8 Reales! ;)

    Fair enough, although I imagine the Mexicans would be more passionate about their cultural heritage. They just need the income to support the market.

  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The Una and the Lion series have some fantastic designs.

    They both have a mintage of 200 coins.


    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2020 3:46PM

    @kiyote said:
    The Una and the Lion series have some fantastic designs.

    It's a very interesting depiction and series. In the book series The Faerie Queene, Queen Elizabeth I is Gloriana and later in Belphoebe. I'm not sure if Una is supposed to represent Queen Elizabeht I in the books. On the original 1839 William Wyon coins, Una is supposed to be Queen Victoria. For these new ones, I wonder if a young Queen Elizabeth II is being portrayed.

    Has anyone here read The Faerie Queene?

    More here:

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 30,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

    @bolivarshagnasty said:

    @ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    picked up the una & lion [great engravers uk version] in 2019 and was shocked to see it be selling for well over 10,000 in pf70 [as it cost just over $200 on issue] - sent it in for grading, got a pf70 back - p happy with that purchase

    also have the lafayette octagonal medal from monnaie de paris - it's a strange and beautiful piece with apparently modest appreciation - looking forward to future issues in that series, esp if they continue issuing octagonal medals

    Homer? puzzle coin? to each their own ✌

    Do you have any pics of these?

    here's my ats photo vision of my pf70uc una & lion - ill break the ungraded lafayette octagon out tonight or tomorrow

    Just stunning.

  • ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

    couldn't agree more - the details are pretty incredible

  • ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @bolivarshagnasty couldn't wait - here are the lafayette octagon photos

    love this giant holder

    mintage nearly 500 less than v75 age 👀

    chunky

  • TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well clicking this thread was dumb. Now I want all those world coins.

    Really Like the Una & Lion coins. And that octagon is THICK.

  • ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2020 6:57PM

    I'm so excited about the great engravers series the royal mint is embarking on; modern restrikes / versions of coins pulling from their 1100-yr history - una and lion released 25 nov 2019, no release 2020 [assuming due to covid], so hopefully a 2nd release in the series before mid-year 2021 - sure to be some incredible restrikes in the series - would love to see some from 900-1200 ad period; can't even imagine how cool those would look to see made w modern technology - im sure not as cool as original, but still—

  • WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I disagree ;)

    I saw a 2020 Quarter go for $3000

    $3299 to be exact😉😎

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file