Home U.S. Coin Forum

\\\ George Washington’s newest coin will be announced Christmas Day ///

KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

From Mint News Blog
https://mintnewsblog.com/george-washingtons-newest-coin-will-be-announced-christmas-day/

Example:

More possibilities as usual in the article. Snip your favorite and post it in this thread.

Comments

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the one you have posted best.

• MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite:

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldenEgg said:
    My favorite:

At least they won't be using it again!

In the CCAC’s October 15, 2019, meeting, the Mint noted that “Artists were charged with finding a fresh perspective to depict the theme and encouraged not to recreate the 1999 New Jersey quarter which evokes the famous painting by Emanuel Leutze. The racial diversity present in Washington’s troops is represented, as is the Grand Union Flag which was the flag in use at the time of the crossing.” The Mint worked with curators at Mount Vernon to ensure historical and technical accuracy in the designs.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    I like the one you have posted best.

There weren't as may possibilities as usual in the blog post. Any would be OK as none are really bad. I usually like less busy as opposed to lots of stuff crowding the coin.

• EdGOhioEdGOhio Posts: 107 ✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2020 6:54PM

I prefer the "01" overall, the ones with the swords, "05 and 12", the swords seem awkward in the images although "12" seems less so.

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.

• Albert Einstein
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2020 7:11PM

On a serious note.... I like the idea and the first three designs. I just hope it's a permanent (at least 25 years) design.
    This is actually the first modern I'm a little excited about.

Also they really need to get rid of the spaghetti hair.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

personally, I think it's a little weird for george to be on the obv + rev of the new qtr --- is this a first for a US circ coin?

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2020 7:45PM

I am not sure I like any of them. The design in the foreground is good, but all the small detail in the background will get lost in a blur.

Also, this is a significant departure from tradition if the new regular issue quarter does not have an eagle on the reverse. The long-standing law was obviously changed for the various state series, but this is as return to a standard design.

edited December 21, 2020 7:49PM

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    personally, I think it's a little weird for george to be on the obv + rev of the new qtr --- is this a first for a US circ coin?

The 2009 "formative years" Zincoln has Abe on both sides. Don't know if there's more, but that could be a new collecting niche.

Someone call Capital Plastics!

@ms70 @Zoins thanks! good to know ✌

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck

this makes coin-flip decision-making impossible; heads or ... heads

@JBK said:
    Every Lincoln Memorial cent has Lincoln on both sides. ;)

Wellllllllllllll...........techincally. The one on the reverse isn't Lincoln, it's a statue of him.

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

I guess you didn't see my recent post on this coin :D

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1048438/now-thats-an-off-center-washington-times-2#latest

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

George was one BAD SOB!!!!!!!!!!

GrandAm :)
    edited December 22, 2020 11:21AM

Some good background. A lot of people know about the Crossing of the Delaware but I wonder how many know about the associated Battle of Trenton and the Battle of Princeton?

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/quarter-dollar-for-2021-and-beyond-to-depict-washington-crossing-the-delaware

All 17 designs submitted to the CCAC by the Mint’s engraving staff and Artistic Infusion Program artist depict some version of Gen. Washington leading his troops across an ice-choked Delaware River during a Nor’easter Dec. 25 to 26, 1776. The bad weather added to the element of surprise in Washington’s plan to attack the enemy at Trenton in New Jersey. The ensuing Battle of Trenton, and the subsequent Battle of Princeton, constituted a turning point in the Revolutionary War and gave hope to many that the Continental Army could prevail.

When I picked up this Battle of Trenton medalette it was in a Washingtonia collection sale, but the description said this was not related to Washington. What the writer didn't know is that it's Washington on top of the monument!

@Zoins said:

>

I guess you didn't see my recent post on this coin :D

I would make an exception for this one

edited December 22, 2020 4:01AM

After reading a bit more about the Crossing of the Delaware, I'm not a fan of any of these designs as I don't think they accurately portray the situation. 2,400 troops successfully crossed the icy river of a planned 5,400 men. That's a lot of troops that aren't shown on any coin or medal I've seen for this. I think the GWD-02 I selected above comes the closest from what I've seen but it's still a far cry from over 5K men that attempted it and the 2.4K that made it across.

Because the river was icy and the weather severe, the crossing proved dangerous. Two detachments were unable to cross the river, leaving Washington with only 2,400 men under his command in the assault, 3,000 fewer than planned. The army marched 9 miles (14.5 km) south to Trenton. The Hessians had lowered their guard, thinking they were safe from the Americans' army, and had no long-distance outposts or patrols. Washington's forces caught them off guard, and after a short but fierce resistance, most of the Hessians surrendered and were captured, with just over a third escaping across Assunpink Creek.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Trenton

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    I'm not buying it for one second that anyone at the Mint is going to be working on Christmas Day.

This is a trick.

I live here in Philly and might be willing to walk down to the Mint and see if anyone goes in the doors that day. :)

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

Straight time plus double pay, I'll fill in (like I'm doing anything right about now)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks as if the quarter will continue to be a palette for display of various themes. The 'dollar' coin is also following that path. At least this historical theme is relevant to history. Cheers, RickO

righton - thanks, @JedPlanchet - I just think coins have the ability to feature more imagery than the same dude on both sides; there's a rich visual language to pull from and feels like the mint's kind of phoning it in

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

The 2009 "formative years" Zincoln has Abe on both sides. Don't know if there's more, but that could be a new collecting niche.

Someone call Capital Plastics!

Technically, all memorial cents have Lincoln on both sides...he's just a little small on the reverse.

• JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    righton - thanks, @JedPlanchet - I just think coins have the ability to feature more imagery than the same dude on both sides; there's a rich visual language to pull from and feels like the mint's kind of phoning it in

I agree. Also, when the ATB Quarters came out I think the Mint missed a great opportunity to feature Theodore Roosevelt on the obverse.

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
    edited December 22, 2020 5:41PM

@Zoins said:
    After reading a bit more about the Crossing of the Delaware, I'm not a fan of any of these designs as I don't think they accurately portray the situation. 2,400 troops successfully crossed the icy river of a planned 5,400 men. That's a lot of troops that aren't shown on any coin or medal I've seen for this. I think the GWD-02 I selected above comes the closest from what I've seen but it's still a far cry from over 5K men that attempted it and the 2.4K that made it across.

Because the river was icy and the weather severe, the crossing proved dangerous. Two detachments were unable to cross the river, leaving Washington with only 2,400 men under his command in the assault, 3,000 fewer than planned. The army marched 9 miles (14.5 km) south to Trenton. The Hessians had lowered their guard, thinking they were safe from the Americans' army, and had no long-distance outposts or patrols. Washington's forces caught them off guard, and after a short but fierce resistance, most of the Hessians surrendered and were captured, with just over a third escaping across Assunpink Creek.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Trenton

Emanuel Leutze's painting gives the impression that there were men and boats for as far as the eye could see! The quarter designs give the impression that Washington crossed with just one or two boats!

And look at how tall those chunks of ice are! Back then the Potomac River where Mount Vernon is situated was freeze every winter. How often do the Delaware and Potomac Rivers freeze now?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Crossing_the_Delaware_(1851_painting)

edited December 22, 2020 12:02PM

With all the Civil War and Pony Express reenactments, a reenactment for the Crossing of the Delaware with 2000-5000+ people would be quite a sight!

• goldengolden Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be watching for the announcement.

does anyone know if you'll be able to buy rolls / bags directly from the mint, or will you have to ask you local bank?

• TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

does anyone know if you'll be able to buy rolls / bags directly from the mint, or will you have to ask you local bank?

I’d be shocked if they don’t sell rolls/bags.

• olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭

They did sell rolls and bags for the 2006 return to Monticello and 2010 shield cents. They probably would do the same for this. Is it just me, or is the font of the date off compared to 1932-1998 quarters?

• DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭✭

From my collection: Frank Gasparro's engraving of Washington Crossing the Delaware scene from famous painting by Emmanuel Leutze on AC-120. Mintage estimate 4 - 12.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

He is already on too many coins. Bring back effigies of Miss Liberty.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2020 7:34PM

@cameonut2011 said:
    He is already on too many coins. Bring back effigies of Miss Liberty.

That's MS. Liberty now. ;)

• goldengolden Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

That one is ok but it is not my favorite.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I liked GWD-01 best but the one chosen is OK with me. The main thing is I'm glad they didn't go back to that super crowded eagle reverse.

• RedStormRedStorm Posts: 223 ✭✭✭

I like GWD-02 the best, but this one is fine. The crossing of the Delaware on Christmas Day 1776 was one of the boldest military moves of the entire war and the resulting victory at the Battle of Trenton was a key victory for the revolutionary cause. Mixed in with “White Christmas”, “It’s a Wonderful Life” and other Christmas movies, watching the film “The Crossing” about this event is a Christmas Season tradition in the RedStorm household!

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish, "Crossing the Delaware" was left off the design, but glad the SHQ and ATB quarter series are FINALLY done!!!

It's a classic design. Hopefully it will be up there with the Bicentennial quarter :)

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm satisfied with this one. Nice design.

• RedStormRedStorm Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2020 7:59AM

@Zoins said:
    It's a classic design. Hopefully it will be up there with the Bicentennial quarter :)

Hopefully the Mint strikes it with the amount of relief indicated in the mock-up illustration and not the shallow relief so common to modern issues or the classic design will come out looking like a bus token like so many of the state quarters did...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file