Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I Just Photographed Some Older Major Mint Error Coins

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought I would share the photos with you.

Enjoy your holiday season, Chris

Comments

  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice to see the Buffalo and Barber nickels. Looks like you're branching out :)

  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Does the 1942 5c/1c have a War Nickel mint mark?

  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Zoins said:
    Nice to see the Buffalo and Barber nickels. Looks like you're branching out :)

    Ya, a super fun project as I love coins.

    Way, way more to come :)

  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MWallace said:
    Does the 1942 5c/1c have a War Nickel mint mark?

    No, I wish, that would have been soo cool, and tripled the price ;)

  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The O/C buffalo is cool....how bout showing the obverse. ;)

  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:

    @MWallace said:
    Does the 1942 5c/1c have a War Nickel mint mark?

    No, I wish, that would have been soo cool, and tripled the price ;)

    Still nice.

  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

    is it a FS nickel ? not that it matters much, or does it?

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Neat stuff!

    Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2020 1:32PM

    @MsMorrisine said:
    is it a FS nickel ? not that it matters much, or does it?

    No, If it was it would be on the label.

    The cent softness and thickness would cause a weaker than normal strike.

  • Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

    the 36 oc is so good 🤩

  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I like each and every one of those! I don’t know why I like them more than
    modern coins.......I used to collect a lot of moderns and over the years I grew away from them ;)

  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @coinsarefun said:
    I like each and every one of those! I don’t know why I like them more than
    modern coins.......I used to collect a lot of moderns and over the years I grew away from them ;)

    Many have your view.

    I absolutely love the mint state modern major error coinage way better. You get soo much more bang for your buck.

    Also, major mint error coins produced from 2002 and beyond are some of the rarest years for major error coins.

  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:

    @coinsarefun said:
    I like each and every one of those! I don’t know why I like them more than
    modern coins.......I used to collect a lot of moderns and over the years I grew away from them ;)

    Many have your view.

    I absolutely love the mint state modern major error coinage way better. You get soo much more bang for your buck.

    Also, major mint error coins produced from 2002 and beyond are some of the rarest years for major error coins.

    .
    .very true in both respects.

  • Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Zoins do these come from circulation, or - ? just flabbergasted that things like this can exist in modern era

  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Just do an ebay search for "cent on dime" and you should find a few. ;)

  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I love all these cool errors, but must say that the ugly white prongs interfere with my enjoyment.

    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Sorry....just hit me on the nose with a rolled up newspaper. :(:D

  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Catbert said:
    I love all these cool errors, but must say that the ugly white prongs interfere with my enjoyment.

    I hated the white prongs at first, but I got used to them.

    But, and a Big Butt, is that the white prong company sometimes puts the prong over an error or over a date which is not good.

  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ifthevamzarockin said:
    @ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Just do an ebay search for "cent on dime" and you should find a few. ;)

    I think it would be great to do a "cent on dime" or "cent on dime planchet" date/mm run.

  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2020 2:35PM

    @Catbert said:
    I love all these cool errors, but must say that the ugly white prongs interfere with my enjoyment.

    They are much more intrusive in photos. In hand, I almost never think about them as I'm too busy tilting the coin to get the best look.

  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice errors and great pics!
    Happy Holidays to you also Chris.

  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Zoins said:

    @Catbert said:
    I love all these cool errors, but must say that the ugly white prongs interfere with my enjoyment.

    They are much more intrusive in photos. In hand, I almost never think about them as I'm too busy tilting the coin to get the best look.

    To each his own. I own NGC coins and find the prongs unpleasant viewing in-hand.

    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Catbert said:

    @Zoins said:

    @Catbert said:
    I love all these cool errors, but must say that the ugly white prongs interfere with my enjoyment.

    They are much more intrusive in photos. In hand, I almost never think about them as I'm too busy tilting the coin to get the best look.

    To each his own. I own NGC coins and find the prongs unpleasant viewing in-hand.

    That’s music to our host’s ears. Will you be crossing your coins?

  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Zoins said:

    @Catbert said:

    @Zoins said:

    @Catbert said:
    I love all these cool errors, but must say that the ugly white prongs interfere with my enjoyment.

    They are much more intrusive in photos. In hand, I almost never think about them as I'm too busy tilting the coin to get the best look.

    To each his own. I own NGC coins and find the prongs unpleasant viewing in-hand.

    That’s music to our host’s ears. Will you be crossing your coins?

    Funny Guy.

    I use both services.

    Best of the Best go to PCGS.

    Cost-effectiveness requires I use ATS for lesser but still awesome major error coins.

  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Love those buffaloes. Planning on selling one?
    Jim


    When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jesbroken said:
    Love those buffaloes. Planning on selling one?
    Jim

    Yes, they are for sale.

    I am not here to post links tho.

    I just like sharing photos of cool error coins.

  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2020 4:03PM

    Regarding the white prongs, the interesting thing is that I bet people that don't like the white prongs would prefer ANACS slabs which are prongless for the most part, however, ATS is still preferred to ANACS in many cases.

  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Cool errors I like

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Amazing .... Great error coins.... That '42 Jefferson on copper is fantastic. Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:

    @jesbroken said:
    Love those buffaloes. Planning on selling one?
    Jim

    Yes, they are for sale.

    I am not here to post links tho.

    I just like sharing photos of cool error coins.

    And we like seeing them. Thank you.

  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Most certainly I love seeing them also. It is something I am not familiar with and is great to learn how the mint made the errors.
    Jim


    When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Zoins said:

    @ifthevamzarockin said:
    @ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Just do an ebay search for "cent on dime" and you should find a few. ;)

    I think it would be great to do a "cent on dime" or "cent on dime planchet" date/mm run.

    It has been attempted. I forget their names but a father and son built such a set and sold it in the early 2010s. It was missing only 6 or 7 coins back to 1940, and the collection also included 1943 copper cents and 1944 steel cents from all three mints. I am almost positive I ordered an auction catalog at the time, if I can dig it up I'll share the cover.

    Sean Reynolds

    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

    "Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @seanq said:

    @Zoins said:

    @ifthevamzarockin said:
    @ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Just do an ebay search for "cent on dime" and you should find a few. ;)

    I think it would be great to do a "cent on dime" or "cent on dime planchet" date/mm run.

    It has been attempted. I forget their names but a father and son built such a set and sold it in the early 2010s. It was missing only 6 or 7 coins back to 1940, and the collection also included 1943 copper cents and 1944 steel cents from all three mints. I am almost positive I ordered an auction catalog at the time, if I can dig it up I'll share the cover.

    Sean Reynolds

    Awesome. I wonder if my coin, and how many of those on eBay are from this collection!

  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2020 8:56AM

    @Zoins said:

    @seanq said:

    @Zoins said:

    @ifthevamzarockin said:
    @ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Just do an ebay search for "cent on dime" and you should find a few. ;)

    I think it would be great to do a "cent on dime" or "cent on dime planchet" date/mm run.

    It has been attempted. I forget their names but a father and son built such a set and sold it in the early 2010s. It was missing only 6 or 7 coins back to 1940, and the collection also included 1943 copper cents and 1944 steel cents from all three mints. I am almost positive I ordered an auction catalog at the time, if I can dig it up I'll share the cover.

    Sean Reynolds

    Awesome. I wonder if my coin, and how many of those on eBay are from this collection!

    I think I have handled a huge part of that collection. At one point I had 20 different dates. Not sure now as I have not counted them in a while.

  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2020 8:57AM

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:

    @Zoins said:

    @seanq said:

    @Zoins said:

    @ifthevamzarockin said:
    @ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Just do an ebay search for "cent on dime" and you should find a few. ;)

    I think it would be great to do a "cent on dime" or "cent on dime planchet" date/mm run.

    It has been attempted. I forget their names but a father and son built such a set and sold it in the early 2010s. It was missing only 6 or 7 coins back to 1940, and the collection also included 1943 copper cents and 1944 steel cents from all three mints. I am almost positive I ordered an auction catalog at the time, if I can dig it up I'll share the cover.

    Sean Reynolds

    Awesome. I wonder if my coin, and how many of those on eBay are from this collection!

    I think I have handled a huge part of that collection. At one point I had 20 different dates. Not sure now as I have not counted them in a while.

    That would be great! Imagine so many coins with the provenance of 3 people :)

    I know you don't care about the owner history of your coins, but it's of interest to some.

  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

    What! No major Barber errors? B)

  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @amwldcoin said:
    What! No major Barber errors? B)

    There two Barber nickels :)

  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

    This one just sold. I had it in inventory for maybe one day before a smart dealer picked it up.

  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yes of course, but I wanna see silver!

    @Zoins said:

    @amwldcoin said:
    What! No major Barber errors? B)

    There two Barber nickels :)

  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Super cool!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file