Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is the pitting on this coin PMD or due to counterfeit?

This worn coin has pitting heavily concentrated in the same areas on the observe and reverse. I know sometimes it can be PMD but I was hoping for more experienced eyes to give some input.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1890-CC-Silver-Carson-City-Morgan-Dollar/284120683120?hash=item4226e99270:g:LxAAAOSwAjVf3lta

What do yall think?

Comments

  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 10,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Fake.

  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

    PMD and ugly to boot. :s

    Looks like it is genuine and might be a Vam 5. ;)

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2020 6:31AM

    Severely environmentally damaged but real. Possible metal detector find.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'm getting nauseous! Peace Roy

    BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken oih82w8, DCW

  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

    WAY fake. Not even close.

    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It looks bogus to me and fugly

  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 10,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Genuine, but significantly degraded.

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Looks like a cast fake.... Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    4 votes for fake, 3 for gen. damaged, 1 needs vomit bucket. Without larger images I can't say I'm 100%sure it's fake, maybe about 90%. Looking at the pits, especially on the rev, I see some of them have a tiny blob of metal in the center, which for me is a telltale sign of a transfer die forgery from a poorly made die. My 10% uncertainty is because the photos aren't quite big enough for me to be totally sure. I don't know the Morgan series well enough to judge the MM or other features that might be unique to this issue.

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2020 6:53AM

    What is the weight of this coin? Perhaps the seller can weigh it for you. If it's a poorly made counterfeit, the weight is probably off.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2020 7:44AM

    I don't like the CC
    I think I would lean toward fake.

  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Mint mark for Vam 5 is a CC/CC.

  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2020 10:59AM

    @ifthevamzarockin said:
    Mint mark for Vam 5 is a CC/CC.

    Yes ... I believe you're right. VAM 5 CC/CC

  • Options

    Wow split crowd on thsi one. I guess I wasnt the only one confused.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file