Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Error or junk?

What could cause this?

Comments

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quarantine haircut. I’ve given and received a few this year. Happens to the best of us.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    Grinding/Lapping/Polishing on the die (possibly to remove clash marks).

Wouldn't the "trench" have to be from grease or something filling the die?

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strike thru, something filled that portion of the obv die. What's the date on that? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is strange... something would have to be on the die to make an incuse mark... not typical of grease or die work. More like a struck through... Cheers, RickO

• Options

1996 P

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    Strike thru, something filled that portion of the obv die. What's the date on that? Peace Roy

1996 P

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

What @dcarr said. Not really uncommon. Some folks do collect this type of thing, but it does not appeal to my taste.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jedm said:

@dcarr said:

What @dcarr said. Not really uncommon. Some folks do collect this type of thing, but it does not appeal to my taste.

definitely a heavily ground down die. keep it for interest at least.

collectiblity is subject to the market. there are collectible ground die errors.

here is a buffalo nickel the was ground down enough to remove the 3rd feather behind the neck.
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1916-5c-2-feathers-fs-402/395248/92

and one with most of one leg ground off
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1937-d-5c-3-legs/3982

here is one story on a presidential dollar. the crease under the chin is partially ground off and called "pez head."
    https://coinweek.com/modern-coins/pez-heads-and-starburst-errors-and-errors-of-george-washington-presidential-dollars/

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

when the surface of a die is damaged by something like clash, an attempt to reuse it is done by grinding the surface of the die.

you can see the grind marks on the flat parts -- called "die polish lines"

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2020 10:52AM

Those are die scrapes, which are created unintentionally when the feeder finger scrapes against the die:

http://www.error-ref.com/die-scrapes/

Yours looks like a particularly extreme example - I've looked through about 100 boxes of quarters and do not recall seeing hair and ear details (which are located in a recessed part of the die) get scraped flat like that.

The parallel die scratches are a telltale sign of die scrapes. You can see these within the flattened areas in Washington's hair, as well as in the field behind Washington's head and queue.

As an extreme example, I'd say it's pretty unusual. I'd pay around $5 for a coin like that. Significant die damage varieties are of numismatic interest, but they don't usually become popular and more valuable unless they capture the imagination in some way (for example, a big die gouge that makes a bison or eagle look speared). It's always a harder sell when you have to educate potential buyers in order to make a sale.

Glad you shared this coin - I think it's neat!

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

A ground down die, as mentioned likely done for a clashed or damaged die. While relatively common when affected areas are minor in scope, varieties that have a larger portion ground down are more collectible (think 3 legged buffalos, two feather varieties, etc.).

This one looks like Washington has lost his ear... and just hair curls remain....

----- kj
  • Options

Is there a portion also affected in the front portion of the eye?

I actually kinda like the coin and may watch out for one.

----- kj
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tincup said:
    Is there a portion also affected in the front portion of the eye?

I actually kinda like the coin and may watch out for one.

Yes you are correct, this die must have been really damaged.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2020 11:05AM

The ear-less Washington variety... and IMO a keeper.

----- kj
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2020 11:19AM

• Options
    JgrabocoinJgrabocoin Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited December 14, 2020 11:32AM

Yes, The area in front of the eye is affected also. Along with the area just in front of his face and behind his head. Here are some more images. There is also some machine doubling on the back and some "worn die" doubling? (correct me if, I'm wrong in that terminology) in "In God we trust"

• Options
    edited December 14, 2020 12:55PM

@IkesT said:
    Those are die scrapes, which are created unintentionally when the feeder finger scrapes against the die:

no

loss of details. areas flattened.

die polished down. the lines on the flattened areas are from the die polishing.

• Options

@dcarr said:

this guy bought a us mint surplus minting press and makes his own stuff. he knows what he is talking about.

look up moonlight mint

and keep in mind that coin world article about pez heads.

• Options

@MsMorrisine

If the die was polished, which is possible, it would have been to reduce the appearance of die scrapes, not clash marks. To my eye, the scrapes are still pretty visible.

The affected areas on this coin do not correspond to normal clash mark locations on a Washington Quarter, but are exactly where you'd expect to find die scrapes. It is characteristic for them to extend a little beyond the bust and abruptly stop. Die scrapes can be found on mid 90's Washington Quarters more than any other period in the series, and 1996-P is already a known date for obverse die scrapes (see the CPG entry, for example).

• Options

possible? how does the ear detail disappear into a flat area if it is not an over polished die?

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    possible? how does the ear detail disappear into a flat area if it is not an over polished die?

A flat piece of steel scraping over the same region of the die multiple times per second could "polish" the die, so to speak, could it not?

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I remember correctly, there is a variety listing for this in the Cherrypicker's Guide. I think it's for 1996-P also.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file