Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

AGE SP69 Scratch, dust or bad TrueView Photo?

What are your thoughts on this?
https://www.pcgs.com/cert/40653449
The reverse has what appears to be a deep scratch or maybe an eyelash hair.
Tracking says I'll have It back Wed.
Does PCGS blow off the coins when they're slabbing them?
I only mention eyelash because when I got my ERP 2019 coin back, it was also a 69, and there were black flecks and dust inside the holder. Tapping it on my desk got them off the coin, but they're still in there.
Same with my V75, also a 69, dust.
https://www.pcgs.com/cert/40873661
All coins were sent still in the sealed shipping box direct from the mint.
I'm beginning to think I should open everything and blow out any dust before submitting them.
Thoughts?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2020 9:33AM

Dont forget, their standard magnification on grading is 5x. Any slight imperfections would be too small for your naked eyes to see.

I think you would taking in more risk in opening up the capsule and damaged the coin accidently instead.

• Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2020 9:36AM

Looks like an eyelash to me. If it is, I would contact customer service.

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regardless of whether it can be seen with the naked eye or not, most people look at their coins with magnification. It looks like a light scratch to me.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

It took me a couple of passes to find the "scratch"...looks like an eye lash to me as well.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enlarged the picture.. twice... and it looks like a scratch. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MetalMetal Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

We'll see. I hope it's an eyelash but I'm leaning towards scratch as well.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had to have my 2019-S ERP reholdered due to lint/dust in the slab on the coin. Customer service got it fixed up for me.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a scratch to me. SP68?

• Options

@Batman23 said:
    Looks like a scratch to me. SP68?

Nope, SP69

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that was the only imperfection they found, would that warrant a 69 grade?

• Options

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    If that was the only imperfection they found, would that warrant a 69 grade?

I didn't think so, in a roundabout way that was kinda what I was wondering when I posted it.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a mark on the coin. Not an eyelash.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

First, let’s look at the gold eagle. That area on the reverse is into the coin, and not debris sitting on the surface. The sp69 grade is correct. Potentially you could make the argument that this is a strike-thru error. (Appears to be a metal shaving, or metal thread it was struck thru). PCGS will not recognize it on the holder if you resubmit under the error grading service because it is too insignificant for them. NGC may designate it on the holder though because they are slightly more lax and receptive to minor mint errors.

Secondly, the silver eagle you have is a bit tougher to judge the grade by the trueview. There are 2 areas of concern that I can’t tell for sure if they are lint, or damage on the actual coin itself. Look to the left of the letter “T” in liberty on the obverse. In the proof field there are 2 specks. If those aren’t pieces of lint sitting on the surface, they could be breaks in the proof surface making the 69 grade correct. The other area of concern is just above the left 2nd sun ray on the obverse in the proof field. Again that is either lint or a break in the proof surface. My gut is telling me all of the areas I mentioned are damage areas on the coin, creating the 69 grade. Rarely will you ever see debris in a TrueView on a newly minted coin.

My advise would be to never submit a sight unseen coin to a grading company. You can easily spot these flaws before submission and save the grading money.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file