Home Precious Metals

PM buyers of jewelry with gems

logger7logger7 Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard a local major shop say that unless the gem is over a carat, no jeweler would be interested in paying for it.....They used to separate the gems and return them to the customer. How do most shops deal with gems embedded in jewelry?

Comments

  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

    hammer them into a powder

  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

    all jewelry should be smashed with a hammer . If you sell to a refiner always damage the crap first.

    If they are going to melt it lets make sure they do , we don't need them thinking they can flip it and double up.

    I can't stress enough how stupid and useless jewelry is.

  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I just called my LCS and asked them about this. Read the exact words from OP. Said this is true 100%. He said they still check them out, and there is sometimes something of value, but usually no. Said they have bags of them.

    Hope this helps!

  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Stones are like coins and bars..

    Most are exceedingly common and boring, relatively few are extremely rare and desirable, there are more of the former being produced every day, along with counterfeit, replicas, and "fantasy tributes" to the latter.

    I'm all done buying anything newer than myself, and I'm in my 50s

    Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

  • KliaoKliao Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That’s only partially true. I spoke to a GIA certified gemologist not too long ago and she said that most jewelers would pay for say a .5 carat diamond in a ring and resell it as such but say a coin shop that deals in scrap gold won’t as they don’t have the resources to do so to they don’t want to get into the business.

    Young Numismatist/collector
    73 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 44 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Kliao said:
    That’s only partially true. I spoke to a GIA certified gemologist not too long ago and she said that most jewelers would pay for say a .5 carat diamond in a ring and resell it as such but say a coin shop that deals in scrap gold won’t as they don’t have the resources to do so to they don’t want to get into the business.

    sure they will , but they will charge you 4000 for a ring of metal with $120 worth of gold in it. :D Markups on gems and jewelry are positively criminal so they can afford to be generous .

  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Rarely do I go out of my way to buy the stones themselves unless .25 ct or larger. Typically Ill just up my scrap rate that Im paying for the gold just to put something towards the diamonds.

    Yes, we have bags of diamonds. I think there is around 400 carats on my desk back at the office.

  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

    i seem to remember Provident trying to peddle diamonds about 5 years ago , on some sort of enclosed card

    The urge seems to have passed I don't see any on the site now

  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @bronco2078 said:
    i seem to remember Provident trying to peddle diamonds about 5 years ago , on some sort of enclosed card

    The urge seems to have passed I don't see any on the site now

    It was a neat idea.

    https://www.providentmetals.com/diamond-melee-certicard-5-10-point.html

  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

    provident is funny about stuff. They move a lot of product but they do not attempt to keep inventory the way APMEX does . I think they try new things and if it doesn't go the way they think they drop it.

  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    A lot of those 'gems' get reused in jewelry. A few years ago, I was looking for a gift, and stopped in a local shop. I saw an interesting piece and asked to view it. Pulled out my loupe and checked the stones.... could clearly see they were from an older, worn ring or other jewelry... wear on the stone facets was obvious. Jeweler denied it... I left, never went back. Cheers, RickO

  • CoinshowmanCoinshowman Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

    @bronco2078 said:

    I can't stress enough how stupid and useless jewelry is.

    I'm guessing you don't have a wife.

    Successful Forum transactions in the last couple of years with: jwitten, liefgold, goldcoin98. Older transactions with shortrgapbob, abitofthisabitofthat, Duxbutt, Morgansforever, Elkevvo, Dunerlaw, Pwrful4, Billet7, AUandAG, pragmaticgoat, MPLunatic, Rob41281, holeinone1972, AnkurJ, OregonCityGold, Inditonka, Colorfulcoins, cohodk, Mission16, kieferscoins
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Coinshowman said:

    @bronco2078 said:

    I can't stress enough how stupid and useless jewelry is.

    I'm guessing you don't have a wife.

    Well I'm not a coin dealer so I haven't had 6 of them anyway. ;)

  • logger7logger7 Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Coinshowman said:

    @bronco2078 said:

    I can't stress enough how stupid and useless jewelry is.

    I'm guessing you don't have a wife.

    @Coinshowman said:

    @bronco2078 said:

    I can't stress enough how stupid and useless jewelry is.

    I'm guessing you don't have a wife.

    Yes women love jewelry. I was at an open air flea market a while back and a school bus full of young girls unloaded the school students. It was unreal how they all made a beeline for the vendors with jewelry.

  • ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'd love to find a thick platinum cuban link men's necklace and bracelet as close to spot as possible.

  • TPGSTPGS Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

    @bronco2078 said:
    all jewelry should be smashed with a hammer . If you sell to a refiner always damage the crap first.

    If they are going to melt it lets make sure they do , we don't need them thinking they can flip it and double up.

    I can't stress enough how stupid and useless jewelry is.

    You don't understand the power of the P.

  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ACop said:
    I'd love to find a thick platinum cuban link men's necklace and bracelet as close to spot as possible.

    check your television for A-team reruns?

  • ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @bronco2078 said:

    @ACop said:
    I'd love to find a thick platinum cuban link men's necklace and bracelet as close to spot as possible.

    check your television for A-team reruns?

    I cant stress how stupid and useless TV is :wink:

  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ACop said:

    @bronco2078 said:

    @ACop said:
    I'd love to find a thick platinum cuban link men's necklace and bracelet as close to spot as possible.

    check your television for A-team reruns?

    I cant stress how stupid and useless TV is :wink:

    what happened to your avatar? wasn't it that dude from reno 911? I just see a blank

  • ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @bronco2078 said:

    @ACop said:

    @bronco2078 said:

    @ACop said:
    I'd love to find a thick platinum cuban link men's necklace and bracelet as close to spot as possible.

    check your television for A-team reruns?

    I cant stress how stupid and useless TV is :wink:

    what happened to your avatar? wasn't it that dude from reno 911? I just see a blank

    Yeah I cant find it

  • TPGSTPGS Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

    The A team Boss carried the Ruger Mini 14. You can't hit the side of a barn with it, even while standing inside the barn while shooting. I pity the fool.

  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @TPGS said:
    The A team Boss carried the Ruger Mini 14. You can't hit the side of a barn with it, even while standing inside the barn while shooting. I pity the fool.

    The ateam were poor marksmen , they couldn't hit a ruger mini 14 with the broad side of a barn

Sign In or Register to comment.