Home Precious Metals

PM buyers of jewelry with gems

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard a local major shop say that unless the gem is over a carat, no jeweler would be interested in paying for it.....They used to separate the gems and return them to the customer. How do most shops deal with gems embedded in jewelry?

Comments

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

hammer them into a powder

all jewelry should be smashed with a hammer . If you sell to a refiner always damage the crap first.

If they are going to melt it lets make sure they do , we don't need them thinking they can flip it and double up.

I can't stress enough how stupid and useless jewelry is.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just called my LCS and asked them about this. Read the exact words from OP. Said this is true 100%. He said they still check them out, and there is sometimes something of value, but usually no. Said they have bags of them.

Hope this helps!

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stones are like coins and bars..

Most are exceedingly common and boring, relatively few are extremely rare and desirable, there are more of the former being produced every day, along with counterfeit, replicas, and "fantasy tributes" to the latter.

I'm all done buying anything newer than myself, and I'm in my 50s

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s only partially true. I spoke to a GIA certified gemologist not too long ago and she said that most jewelers would pay for say a .5 carat diamond in a ring and resell it as such but say a coin shop that deals in scrap gold won’t as they don’t have the resources to do so to they don’t want to get into the business.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

@Kliao said:
    That’s only partially true. I spoke to a GIA certified gemologist not too long ago and she said that most jewelers would pay for say a .5 carat diamond in a ring and resell it as such but say a coin shop that deals in scrap gold won’t as they don’t have the resources to do so to they don’t want to get into the business.

sure they will , but they will charge you 4000 for a ring of metal with $120 worth of gold in it. :D Markups on gems and jewelry are positively criminal so they can afford to be generous .

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rarely do I go out of my way to buy the stones themselves unless .25 ct or larger. Typically Ill just up my scrap rate that Im paying for the gold just to put something towards the diamonds.

Yes, we have bags of diamonds. I think there is around 400 carats on my desk back at the office.

i seem to remember Provident trying to peddle diamonds about 5 years ago , on some sort of enclosed card

The urge seems to have passed I don't see any on the site now

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    i seem to remember Provident trying to peddle diamonds about 5 years ago , on some sort of enclosed card

The urge seems to have passed I don't see any on the site now

It was a neat idea.

https://www.providentmetals.com/diamond-melee-certicard-5-10-point.html

provident is funny about stuff. They move a lot of product but they do not attempt to keep inventory the way APMEX does . I think they try new things and if it doesn't go the way they think they drop it.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of those 'gems' get reused in jewelry. A few years ago, I was looking for a gift, and stopped in a local shop. I saw an interesting piece and asked to view it. Pulled out my loupe and checked the stones.... could clearly see they were from an older, worn ring or other jewelry... wear on the stone facets was obvious. Jeweler denied it... I left, never went back. Cheers, RickO

• CoinshowmanCoinshowman Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

I'm guessing you don't have a wife.

Successful Forum transactions in the last couple of years with: jwitten, liefgold, goldcoin98. Older transactions with shortrgapbob, abitofthisabitofthat, Duxbutt, Morgansforever, Elkevvo, Dunerlaw, Pwrful4, Billet7, AUandAG, pragmaticgoat, MPLunatic, Rob41281, holeinone1972, AnkurJ, OregonCityGold, Inditonka, Colorfulcoins, cohodk, Mission16, kieferscoins

@Coinshowman said:

@bronco2078 said:

Well I'm not a coin dealer so I haven't had 6 of them anyway. ;)

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinshowman said:

@bronco2078 said:

@Coinshowman said:

@bronco2078 said:

Yes women love jewelry. I was at an open air flea market a while back and a school bus full of young girls unloaded the school students. It was unreal how they all made a beeline for the vendors with jewelry.

• ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to find a thick platinum cuban link men's necklace and bracelet as close to spot as possible.

• TPGSTPGS Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    all jewelry should be smashed with a hammer . If you sell to a refiner always damage the crap first.

If they are going to melt it lets make sure they do , we don't need them thinking they can flip it and double up.

You don't understand the power of the P.

@ACop said:
    I'd love to find a thick platinum cuban link men's necklace and bracelet as close to spot as possible.

check your television for A-team reruns?

@bronco2078 said:

@ACop said:

I cant stress how stupid and useless TV is :wink:

@ACop said:

@bronco2078 said:

@ACop said:

what happened to your avatar? wasn't it that dude from reno 911? I just see a blank

@bronco2078 said:

@ACop said:

@bronco2078 said:

@ACop said:

what happened to your avatar? wasn't it that dude from reno 911? I just see a blank

Yeah I cant find it

• TPGSTPGS Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

The A team Boss carried the Ruger Mini 14. You can't hit the side of a barn with it, even while standing inside the barn while shooting. I pity the fool.

@TPGS said:
    The A team Boss carried the Ruger Mini 14. You can't hit the side of a barn with it, even while standing inside the barn while shooting. I pity the fool.

The ateam were poor marksmen , they couldn't hit a ruger mini 14 with the broad side of a barn