Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Will the US ever follow Canada to where PCGS cannot go?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 11, 2020 8:29AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The US followed Canada to:

• bimetallic coins (1996 vs. 2000 - 4 years)
  • reverse proof (1998 vs. 2006 - 8 years)
  • silver puck coins (1998 vs. 2010 - 12 years)
  • palladium coins (2005 vs. 2018 - 13 years)
  • curved coins
  • colorized coins (2004 vs. 2020 - 16 years)
  • privy marked coins (1998 vs. 2020 - 22 years)

but can we take this next step to...

Merry Christmas! :o:D

Comments

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2020 4:20AM

With regard to Canadian colorized coins, one that I acquired that was pretty unique depicted in spectacular colors the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights.). If the U.S. Mint ever attempts to replicate that one I would certainly be a candidate for its acquisition.

Not sure if this is the same one, but it includes a "glow in the dark" feature as well:

"Canada's Royal Canadian Mint issues a glow-in-the-dark Toonie coin depicting the Aurora Borealis to commemorate the country's 150th birthday.
    "The mint became the first to circulate colored coins in 2004. With the release this month of the glow-in-the-dark anniversary coin, the mint can claim another first."

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our us mint has zero creativity. Pretty sad.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that might actually get me to buy a modern coin. Too bad they are all sold out.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the Royal Canadian Mint

https://www.mint.ca/store/coins/coin-prod3720015?rcmiid=ban|homepage|carousel|pos1|200272-1ozPureSilverColouredCoinHolidayTree-Mintage20202020&

• Options

https://www.mint.ca/store/coins/pez-gingerbread-man-silver-wafers--dispenser-gift-set---mintage-4000-2020-prod3720016?rcmiid=link|categorypage|PEZ_Gingerbread_Man_Silver_Wafers_Dispenser_Gift_Set_-Mintage_4000_2020|Shop-New_Releases&

• Options

Love this for the big spender

https://www.mint.ca/store/coins/pure-gold-diamond-shaped-coin-–-forevermark-diamond-–-mintage-99-2020-prod3700053?rcmiid=link|categorypage|Pure_Gold_Diamond-Shaped_Coin_Forevermark_Diamond_Mintage_99_2020|Shop-New_Releases_&

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of different 'coins' have been minted, by mints all over the world. The first time I saw a guitar coin I thought it was the most radical coin ever. Well... other mints said "Hold my beer." :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

That one takes the cake!

@jmlanzaf said:

https://www.mint.ca/store/coins/pure-gold-diamond-shaped-coin-–-forevermark-diamond-–-mintage-99-2020-prod3700053?rcmiid=link|categorypage|Pure_Gold_Diamond-Shaped_Coin_Forevermark_Diamond_Mintage_99_2020|Shop-New_Releases_&

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

Until this post brought up Canada's weird coin productions I had never heard of it, so I googled "glow in dark Canadian coins" and of all things an item came up celebrating a UFO sighting in color. UNREAL
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Lots of different 'coins' have been minted, by mints all over the world. The first time I saw a guitar coin I thought it was the most radical coin ever. Well... other mints said "Hold my beer." :D;) Cheers, RickO

Some other "unique" examples: https://www.apmex.com/category/90532/unique-products?_campaign=12092020-category90532-awareness-seminumi-homepagehero

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MetroD.... Thanks... Some really interesting pieces there....something for everyone. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:

Agreed, but be careful what you ask for..... :/

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    edited December 10, 2020 8:06AM

@amwldcoin said:
    That one takes the cake!

@jmlanzaf said:

I don't know if it takes the cake, but it definitely takes the wallet. LOL

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see the Canadian piece is C$569 which is about US$450, or $90/troy ounce. Plus it is a limited edition.

Compare that to the ho-hum US super duper proof set which prices out at $73/troy ounce with bazillions made.

I would opt for the Canadian piece if I were to buy something frivolous (I don't plan to buy either).

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

we followed Canada to the SHQ's and other circulating commemorative coins as well. should we lead instead??

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a Canadian citizen, I am seriously disappointed.
    The RCM is probably one of the worst legal rip-off placed one can ever imagine.
    They come up with crap and call it coins. Even had Canadian currency laws changed a few years back to do it legally.
    A perfectly legal rip-off with the legal title NLTC (non legal tender currency). it is only for collectors and even includes $ 8 and $3 "metal disks".
    A disgrace to real and solid Canadian currency/coins.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2020 11:40AM

@Oldhoopster said:
    God help us one and all. :'(

You took the words right out of my mouth. No joke.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RedStorm said:
    I got one of those in change last time I was in Canada. Talk about a creepy feeling in your pocket... :o

That feeling could drive you Loonie.

• Options
    edited December 10, 2020 12:16PM

Is the Christmas tree struck or cast?

Is the train struck or cast?

Do they cold weld the tree into a hole in the base?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Edited to add:

Partial answer from the RCM website
    TWO CAST SILVER ELEMENTS! Cast in sterling silver, the Christmas tree commands attention as it rises up from the engraved design. But the crowning touch isn’t at the top of the tree; instead, look at the base of the tree, where the toy train (also cast in sterling silver) travels along the engraved tracks whenever you tilt the coin.

• Options

hMMM....they've been doing an entire series of "interactive coins"

• Options

I wish I had more money than I could spend in a lifetime so I could buy all of these and have them melted.

• Options

@ms70 said:
    I wish I had more money than I could spend in a lifetime so I could buy all of these and have them melted.

I suppose you want to take a jackhammer to the David also. LOL.

If purists don't want to think of them as "coins", they are at the very least limited edition sculptures. I don't see any reason to hate them.

Rodin made multiple castings, after all. Should we melt them?

• Options

By the way, if you look on eBay both the 2018 carousel and the 2020 train/tree are selling above issue price. That ain't true of a lot of traditional Mint products like US proof and mint sets.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go big or go home. Rgds!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@Cameonut said:

Did we lead with the signed and numbered COA?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    By the way, if you look on eBay both the 2018 carousel and the 2020 train/tree are selling above issue price. That ain't true of a lot of traditional Mint products like US proof and mint sets.

Yes. YES! MELT EVERYTHING! :#:#:#

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    They come up with crap and call it coins. Even had Canadian currency laws changed a few years back to do it legally.
    A perfectly legal rip-off with the legal title NLTC (non legal tender currency). it is only for collectors and even includes $ 8 and $3 "metal disks".

So the face value is not actually tenderable? I can't take the $50 Christmas Tree coin to the bank and exchange it for something that will fit in my wallet? If so they aren't actually coins, they are more like a medal.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:

@YQQ said:

So the face value is not actually tenderable? I can't take the $50 Christmas Tree coin to the bank and exchange it for something that will fit in my wallet? If so they aren't actually coins, they are more like a medal.

As I understand it, you CAN take it to the bank, but not spend it in a grocery store or something and get change. I may be wrong.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Did we lead with the signed and numbered COA?

Outdoing another mint by producing something that's not a coin? A dubious honor at best.

• Options
    edited December 11, 2020 7:08AM

@erwindoc said:
    I really like the dinosaur coins and have the set of 4. Here is one.

PCGS likes it too! Here are 5. How many are there in a set?

• Options

From the Royal Canadian Mint website:

Can I redeem a collector coin at a bank or use it as currency to purchase goods or services?

All coins manufactured by the Mint are legal tender. However, unlike Canadian circulation coins, collector coins are non-circulating legal tender (NCLT). As such, these coins are not intended for daily commercial transactions and accepting them as payment or for redemption is at the discretion of businesses and financial institutions.

The Mint has a process in place to reimburse financial institutions the face value of redeemed NCLT coins, once they have accepted them from a customer and returned them to the Mint. In the event a bank branch is unaware of this procedure, customers are advised to contact the Mint with the coordinates of the bank branch, which will take steps to inform the branch of the redemption process.

As collector coins can only be redeemed at face value by businesses and financial institutions willing to accept them, it is recommended that individuals wishing to sell a collector coin first consult with a coin dealer, who is more likely to offer a price above face value.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sucker is dangerous.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

From the Royal Canadian Mint website:

Can I redeem a collector coin at a bank or use it as currency to purchase goods or services?

All coins manufactured by the Mint are legal tender. However, unlike Canadian circulation coins, collector coins are non-circulating legal tender (NCLT). As such, these coins are not intended for daily commercial transactions and accepting them as payment or for redemption is at the discretion of businesses and financial institutions.

The Mint has a process in place to reimburse financial institutions the face value of redeemed NCLT coins, once they have accepted them from a customer and returned them to the Mint. In the event a bank branch is unaware of this procedure, customers are advised to contact the Mint with the coordinates of the bank branch, which will take steps to inform the branch of the redemption process.

As collector coins can only be redeemed at face value by businesses and financial institutions willing to accept them, it is recommended that individuals wishing to sell a collector coin first consult with a coin dealer, who is more likely to offer a price above face value.

Thanks, that makes some sense. They are but aren't. Anyone want to cash in a tree? I have about $45 USD for your $50 CDN... :#

• Options

unless you have "clout" at the bank...meaning a very large account, they will not accept this garbage.
    AND if the teller person is smart they will accept it for FACE value only and then replace it in the till with real money, making a profit. Notice, the RCM will only reimburse at FV. However, they originally sold it at many times of FV. A legal rip-off.
    There was a time not that long ago when the RCM did accept these as a returned item and issue certificates for FV only towards credit to buy some other of their garbage. But this might have changed by now. Think about it, they sold a $10, 20 and I believe also a $50 piece of silver for the respective FV via mail order, dealers, and the Government-owned Post office and indirectly suggested it would be a good buy. Silver content??? a few grams.!!!

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    unless you have "clout" at the bank...meaning a very large account, they will not accept this garbage.
    AND if the teller person is smart they will accept it for FACE value only and then replace it in the till with real money, making a profit. Notice, the RCM will only reimburse at FV. However, they originally sold it at many times of FV. A legal rip-off.

OK,but how much do you suppose a U.S. bank will give you for your silver eagle, or Jackie Robinson $5 gold, fr that matter?

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, be careful where you set that thing down. I don't want to sit on it! Too crazy for me. Happy holidays and be safe. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@YQQ said:
    Notice, the RCM will only reimburse at FV. However, they originally sold it at many times of FV. A legal rip-off.

Which mints are different? The US mint? Hardly. If you don't like the terms, don't buy the coins.

• Options

@YQQ said:
    There was a time not that long ago when the RCM did accept these as a returned item and issue certificates for FV only towards credit to buy some other of their garbage. But this might have changed by now. Think about it, they sold a $10, 20 and I believe also a $50 piece of silver for the respective FV via mail order, dealers, and the Government-owned Post office and indirectly suggested it would be a good buy. Silver content??? a few grams.!!!

To be fair, the legal tender value of an AGE is $50 and the Mint sold them for many times FV

• Options

@MasonG said:

@YQQ said:
    Notice, the RCM will only reimburse at FV. However, they originally sold it at many times of FV. A legal rip-off.

Which mints are different? The US mint? Hardly. If you don't like the terms, don't buy the coins.

Agreed.

It's actually not a rip-off. It is to protect the bullion value of the coin. If you put $1000 FV on a coin that has $100 in bullion, when the bullion value drops to $950, people start spending them to get the extra $50.

• Options
    edited December 11, 2020 7:49AM

Sold out mintage of 1000.

Issue price of C $579.95, but now selling for almost 4 times more C $2,034.79!

In US dollar terms, now selling for $1,591.31 on an issue price of $453.55.

• Options

@Zoins said:
    Sold out mintage of 1000.

Issue price of C $579.95, but now selling for almost 4 times more C $2,034.79!

In US dollar terms, now selling for $1,591.31 on an issue price of $453.55.

Those poor people who bought from the mint! Look how they were ripped off. :#

• Options

open your eyes guys!!!
    go and see what you can buy it for 2 years from now.
    every once in a while the RCM issues a "limited" mintage item.... which will be in demand.... for a while.
    other stuff is also limited... to high numbers.
    for those of you who are willing to buy that crap, I have to say this: it is your money...
    Does anyone of you have the Charlton NCLT catalogue? It is bigger than the regular catalogue which contains all normally issued** circulation** coins from 1858 to now..
    some of you obviously do not see it. ok with me.
    I simply hope that your GM or son does NOT invest in Canadian NCLT junk with the intention of making money...
    do you wish to make 50K???? Invest 100 K in Canadian NCLT from RCM and wait 1-2 years.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen a Twonie but never a Trainie!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file