Home U.S. Coin Forum

Rick Beale Has Passed Away

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just received news that my friend Rick Beale, of .900 Fine Coins, lost his battle with cancer after a long and valiant fight. He was a staple at our Round Rock, TX shows and many other shows around Texas and the US. Condolences to his wife, Robin, and his family.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

ill second that merlo that is sad news

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn’t know him, except by reputation, I too send condolences.

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences to his family.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences to his friends and family who will miss him dearly.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My fervent condolences to family and friends. RickO

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that. RIP

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2020 2:09PM

Wow, sorry to hear it. He helped me get a few of my U.S. coins when I got back into collecting in 2008. Even sold a few rare dime die marriages to him. R.I.P.

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condolences.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sorry to hear, prayers and coindolences...I lost my dad to cancer, it's an awful way to go.

• CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

RIP. Lost my grandfather to cancer.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences. I said a prayer for them.

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is too bad. Him and he wife were always nice and fun to talk to. Seemed like such a healthy younger guy. I wish his family the best.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2020 5:17PM

I'm sorry to hear that.I had a couple nice chats with him at the Bellaire show.I always wondered what happened to him.My condolences to family and friends,

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a lost for the hobby. He was a fixture at the NTX coin show circuit as Christian said.

Rick was a wonderful guy. His enthusiasm was always contagious. "Hey, you have to come look at THIS" (always in capital letters) . I'm not an EAC guy, but even I could get excited over some of the coins he just had to show you!

He had been very ill for at least a year that I knew of, but was doing a bit better the last time I saw him (Grapevine in February).

Robin is maybe a little less exuberant, but equally knowledgeable in her area. I'm sorry for her (and our) loss and send all the best.

-----Burton
    ANA 49 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus" because ANA can't count)
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my, that is so sad. I knew Rick and his wife from coin shows and didn't know he was sick. I'm so sorry to hear this and give his family all my prayers.

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few coins I bought from them at the Bellaire shows. I'm sorry to hear about this.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Rick is a good man. A legitimately honestly good man. I pray his family is alright. This news is so sad.

• CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

My condolences to his family and friends.

"What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I met him and his wife at the ANA in Boston (the 2 room layout show). He was very friendly and enthusiastic and as Todd said, he was young. Just that one meeting but he made a very positive impression.
    Very sorry to hear. My condolences to his wife and family.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you, everyone.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rest in peace Rick, condolences to to family and many friends

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cancer is such a terrible disease afflicting so many good people.

I am very sorry to hear of his passing.

My sincere condolences to his wife, family and friends.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set:

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

very sad news. he was a nice guy. i bought some coins from him almost a decade ago, including the one posted below which he sold to me for $350 (a bargain). he was very knowledgeable and helpful.

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn, this is sad news. :( I've bought coins from Rick from the San Antonio shows; him and his wife were a fixture at these shows for years. I did ask Robin where Rick was after not seeing him at a couple of shows and she did mention he was battling cancer. Both of them were friendly to the YN's at their table, and Robin would throw in a bonus coin to the youngsters every now and then. A true asset to the hobby that will be missed for sure.

We need more dealers like Rick and Robin, not the surly, mustard crusted types.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2020 6:56AM

Condolences to his friends and family.

Here's his auto-bio from 900fine, run by him and his wife. Love the story of clad from his youth!

Robin Grace and Ricky Beale are a dedicated partnership - Robin focusing on ancient coinage, foreign, and traditional money, while Rick specializes in classic American. We both grew up in Beaumont, Texas, and now make our home in Austin. We are the proud parents of two wonderful girls, Elizabeth and Katherine. We are blessed to be immersed in a wonderful extended family!

Ricky Beale started collecting coins in the 60s. In 1965, the first clad coinage showed up. As kids, we were convinced the copper inner core was gold ! Of course, this set off a great deal of excitement.

On top of that, a Mercury dime showed up as change at a garage sale - and with that, a childhood fascination was in full bloom which continues to this day. Like so many, Rick left the hobby in teenage years and returned as an adult - with the same fascination he had as a child.

Robin Grace quickly became interested in ancient coinage upon visiting her first coin show. As time went on, she narrowed her interest to Greek and Roman coinage, with additional interest in Traditional money of the world.

We are 900fine !

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2020 9:26AM

Looks like he was an EAC collector too:

Burton Strauss III wrote:

Rick Beale of 900fine.

Although I've never bought one from him, he's never stopped trying to educate and amaze me with his EACs.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/dealers-who-specialize-in-old-u-s-copper.277142/

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Looks like he was an EAC collector too:

Burton Strauss III wrote:

Rick Beale of 900fine.

Although I've never bought one from him, he's never stopped trying to educate and amaze me with his EACs. (Cited from: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/dealers-who-specialize-in-old-u-s-copper.277142/)

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/dealers-who-specialize-in-old-u-s-copper.277142/

He was. He gave a presentation on early copper to the Capital City Coin Club a while back. He was good friends with Chris McCawley as well. I went to a birthday party at Rick's house a few years ago, and spent a good part of the time talking coins with Chris, which was great.

• HashTagHashTag Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭

He reignited my collecting after a 10 year break. Decent, honest and educational. Saw him a number of times at the Bellaire TX show. One thing he was NOT was the typical hustler, greedy coin dealer that has become so common. RIP

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news. My condolences to his family and many friends.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file