Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2020 Uncirculated Set have you purchased or taken delivery of and found a nice error/variety coin?

Hi everyone, new here, a Brit living in Germany. Anyway, this year has been something different compared to most years. I have been collecting coins for a few years now, normally silver and if I can gold.

Though most of the time these can be out of my price range so compromises have to be taken and normal BU coins are purchased. This year has been spent mostly buying coins from the UK Royal Mint which do some great BU base metal coins.

Although for a first time I have bought some US Mint coins as I thought I would give it a try, so earlier in the year I grabbed myself a Silver Proof Set with the Reverse Proof West Point Nickel, felt that I needed another so jumped on eBay and got myself a regular proof West Point Nickel. I have to say I do like the West Point nickels but the reverse proof has somehow been affected by the material from the bag it came in so will send it off to NCS via Numistacker if you watch his YouTube channel provides a service for those of us who haven’t paid for PCGS or NGC membership.

Anyway onto my main point, has anyone bought the 2020 Uncirculated Set, though a pity it didn’t come with the uncirculated West Point Nickel. Anyway if you have, have you taken delivery, what did you think of the quality, and did you find any variety error coins amongst them. I found a dollar with a laminate error. See picture

Comments

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2020 12:36PM

got a couple sets, but no verified variety errors to speak of

coupla dings was about the balance of what I found 😄

• Options

This was my main concern with this years set, a low mirage was attractive in some way but the speed they must have had to do this means that the quality control for these coins was not going to great. It has been the same for some U.K. coin series as well. The Whinnie the Pooh 50p silver proof coins had many defects like the photos you posted on your Kennedy Half $. Will having a perfect mint set be the rarity this time.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tpcob303 Welcome to the forum! I haven’t bought one of these sets but glad you’re here and hope you enjoy your time here. Your first post is a lot better and more interesting than some people’s first one!

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tpcob303 said:
    ... Will having a perfect mint set be the rarity this time.

from the looks of my sets - yes 😅

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tpcob303 said:

Although for a first time I have bought some US Mint coins as I thought I would give it a try, so earlier in the year I grabbed myself a Silver Proof Set with the Reverse Proof West Point Nickel, felt that I needed another so jumped on eBay and got myself a regular proof West Point Nickel. I have to say I do like the West Point nickels but the reverse proof has somehow been affected by the material from the bag it came in so will send it off to NCS via Numistacker if you watch his YouTube channel provides a service for those of us who haven’t paid for PCGS or NGC membership.

Do you have a picture of the reverse proof nickel?

• Options
    rmorganrmorgan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭

This is my third year getting the uncirculated set. The previous two had some coins with light contact marks - more than what I was expecting from a set that was packaged at the mints. However, what I got this year requires careful examination in order to see any marks.

I subscribed to this set as my way of acquiring pristine specimens for the current years. Although it costs a bit more, it is easier than checking at the bank in search of similar quality.

My strategy is about collecting what I intend to keep, not investing in what I plan to sell.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tpcob303 Welcome!! You make a good point, I should remove my nickels from those ridiculous plastic bags they came in. I suppose I need to buy some real coin holders.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi and welcome. Yes, I too have purchased 2 sets. No real variety/error found as of now. Still checking. But I can tell you, at least one of my sets, very high condition coins. Here is the Kennedy. Almost a Cameo.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got my 2 sets. Nothing unusual besides the common small nics and scratches. Lol

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

if your dollar and cent coins don't have spots then you're doing well.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2020 6:17PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    if your dollar and cent coins don't have spots then you're doing well.

On the one set I did check, NO spots. :)

Here is the Kennedy from Denver. Nice like the Philadelphia only downer shows a hit in his neck from other coins. :neutral:

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@daltex said:

Do you have a picture of the reverse proof nickel?

Yes, here are both sides, whilst I’m at it I will do the standard proof along side.

• Options

Found this one while CRH

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file