Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The numismatic gifts we've given

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 6, 2020 8:13AM in U.S. Coin Forum

We often talk about and show coins that we buy for ourselves, but I thought it would be interesting to show coins we've bought for others.

My father started my interest in coins and gave me coins when I was young (US Mint NCLT and world coins from his travels) and even gave me coins somewhat recently, the last being a well circulated Morgan Dollar (G04?) a few years ago.

So, this year, I decided to return the favor and give him a Morgan Dollar he might appreciate, the following PCGS MS64 in a new NFC holder. We've never really discussed coins too much, but I'm thinking it could become a nice joint hobby for us. I have some toned Morgans but this is my first blast white Morgan and I have to say a @ricko approved Morgan is nice to behold. The cartwheel is great! I might have to pick up one for myself now!

Post any gifts you've given to others, now or in the past.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins... Indeed, that fresh, clean beauty is my favorite. Deserving of a RickO Blast White sticker ;):D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rmorganrmorgan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭

I wish my dad were alive again so that we could work jointly on collecting. Likewise, it was my dad who got me interested when I was a boy. I inherited his Whitman folders and even filled a few holes he had - in his memory.

It's great to read that you are taking steps to work jointly on this shared interest. Anyone with a coin-collecting dad who is still around - don't let the opportunity pass. Some of us wish we had that opportunity.

My strategy is about collecting what I intend to keep, not investing in what I plan to sell.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every Christmas I give my doctor and his nurse a little gold bullion. At 65 you are forced onto Medicare, I better leave it at that.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

I give silver eagles to the people who report to me at work as well as a few coworkers every year, I get them in those happy holiday holidays holders from Apmex. These https://www.apmex.com/product/218385/2020-1-oz-silver-american-eagle-happy-holidays-ribbon-tree . They always seem to be a hit.

I usually give silver commemoratives to my brother in laws for Christmas every year too. One year I got them coin rings made out of coins from their year of birth, they really seemed to like them. I used to give silver dollars and or silver commemoratives to some of my nephews for Christmas and Birthday presents, one nephew in particular that collects coins I used to give him slabbed Morgan dollars.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have given a few coins as gifts over the years. For the most part they ended up being stored with other miscellaneous valuables.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2020 9:41PM

I’ve bought a PCGS slabbed 1970 Proof Birth Year Set for my son-in-law and placed it in a nice wood Universal Glass Top Display Box for 5 Slabs (bought from Brooklyn Gallery for $29.96). The coins were bought from various sellers on eBay and ran me roughly $100 as best as I can remember. Grades were roughly PR68CAM or so. I did the same thing for my girlfriend (older coins than 1970, since she’s my age). Grades were roughly MS65, 66 or so, as best as I can remember. Lay people love these, as the eye appeal of these coins look as if they were made yesterday! The wood case:

https://brooklyngallery.com/0174-338.html

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    87redcivic87redcivic Posts: 119 ✭✭✭

I was given a few coins by a board member about a month ago based on a post I had written. I would be amiss if I didn't mention it here. Thanks to (you know who you are) 😀.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file