Home U.S. Coin Forum

Should PCGS Sell Vanity Cert Numbers and Revive Cert 00001794?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 5, 2020 10:46AM in U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS has fun with Vanity Cert Numbers like:

Should PCGS take this one step further and sell vanity numbers? This would be similar to how DMVs sell license plate numbers.

Also, should PCGS revive cert 00001794 which was recently lost?

Both photos are from PCGS:

Comments

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

I imagine that might happen under new leadership. Something like a vanity serial number doesn’t have grading or reputation, really. So why not? Of course, there are only so many options. Maybe they could offer certain ones as an auction?

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2020 5:17AM

@TurtleCat said:
    I imagine that might happen under new leadership. Something like a vanity serial number doesn’t have grading or reputation, really. So why not? Of course, there are only so many options. Maybe they could offer certain ones as an auction?

88888888 is not being used. I wonder how much they could get for it!

@Zoins said:

@TurtleCat said:

88888888 is not being used. I wonder how much they could get for it!

Like toned coins, it depends on how many people want it. Now if they allow letters in the cert then it opens up a lot more possibilities. If the don’t, I think a cert of 5318008 would get a lot of action...

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

More than 6667777? 😮

Ken
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. Cheapens a premium brand.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well... I think that may be a future possibility - for a fee, of course. Like vanity plates, there is a demand for such things. People tend to like unique - especially collectors. Cheers, RickO

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

This.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that they and other grading companies should stick to authenticating, attributing and grading coins.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Vanity cert numbers would cut down on the crack and resubmits.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2020 10:10AM

There is always a fool that wants to part with his money, this is as good as a pet rock I suppose.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

No ... and no advertising on the labels either!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

The other interesting thing about the 2 slab photos is that "S$1" became just "$1".

I wonder if it was done just for this coin or in general now.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    The other interesting thing about the 2 slab photos is that "S$1" became just "$1".

One thing collectors appreciate is consistency with things like that. I think by nature most of us are OCD and that needs to be catered to. :/

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

edited December 5, 2020 11:28AM

@ms70 said:

@Zoins said:

One thing collectors appreciate is consistency with things like that. I think by nature most of us are OCD and that needs to be catered to. :/

Not just consistency. We have to know if it's an error or variety! ;)

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

Catbert has it right.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    I think that they and other grading companies should stick go back to authenticating, attributing and grading coins.

Fixed it for you, since if they stuck to what they currently do, that would include the production and sale of fancy labels that have little to nothing to do with numismatics.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

@Zoins said:

Indeed, and I think what bothers me more about the label on the left is the fact that the centering of the text is off -- a problem which persists today.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@MFeld said:
    I think that they and other grading companies should stick go back to authenticating, attributing and grading coins.

Fixed it for you, since if they stuck to what they currently do, that would include the production and sale of fancy labels that have little to nothing to do with numismatics.

Thanks for the fix - I agree.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

8675309 is available! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file