Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Celebrates 45M certified with Washingtonia!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 5, 2020 5:33AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Congrats to PCGS for certifying its 45millionth item!

Love the 45000000 cert number!

The company’s historic 45 millionth numismatic specimen recently crossed the desks in the grading room of PCGS Headquarters in California. The milestone piece was a special medal honoring the funeral of first United States President George Washington, who passed away on December 14, 1799. The death of Washington, who many saw as the “Father of America,” inspired processions to be held in cities around the young nation, including Boston.

“For this occasion, medals were made, holed, and distributed to mourners who could string the pieces around their necks as a solemn reminder of the great man who had given all he had to the new country,” explains PCGS Director of Numismatic Education and Outreach Steve Feltner.

The 45 millionth piece graded by PCGS is this 1800 Silver Washington Funeral Medal, PCGS MS61.

One type of medal carries a design depicting a skull and crossbones, and another features a funeral urn.

“The coin recently graded is of the funeral urn variety and is the only Mint State example graded by PCGS. As they were meant to be worn, very few survived uncirculated, and this one grades PCGS MS61.”

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2020 5:09AM

kudos to PCGS for the milestone, but I really doubt that this was the ACTUAL 45 millionth piece they have graded. more than likely it is something that came in around the right time or was done for PR reasons that they can't be faulted for. I mean, think about it, how exciting would it be to make this announcement with one of those boring 75th ASE's or a Modern issue that comes in on a bulk order?? B)

• Options
    edited December 5, 2020 10:13AM

@keets said:
    kudos to PCGS for the milestone, but I really doubt that this was the ACTUAL 45 millionth piece they have graded. more than likely it is something that came in around the right time or was done for PR reasons that they can't be faulted for. I mean, think about it, how exciting would it be to make this announcement with one of those boring 75th ASE's or a Modern issue that comes in on a bulk order?? B)

Actually a V75 could be interesting since it's commemorating the 1945 end of WWII. Nineteen Forty-Five! ;)

Of course, if a gold WWII Victory Medal came over, that would be awesome :)

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always believed that the high-point discoloration on Ms. Liberty's knee seemed a logical artifact from breaking the sword of tyranny. :)

• Options
    edited December 5, 2020 5:51AM

@keets said:
    I always believed that the high-point discoloration on Ms. Liberty's knee seemed a logical artifact from breaking the sword of tyranny. :)

That's hilarious and very fitting too! Great point! :+1:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gripping that blade in that manner may have caused an injury as well. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

Without a doubt it was carefully selected from a pool of possibilities.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations PCGS.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2020 8:27AM

@TurtleCat said:

@keets said:

Without a doubt it was carefully selected from a pool of possibilities.

If so, that’s even more impressive for exonumia! Impressive that they would pick a holed medal instead of a coin. Could indicate some future directions for growth.

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you expect a crossover that they then detailed for the celebrated #45M?

• Options
    edited December 5, 2020 8:28AM

@tokenpro said:
    Did you expect a crossover that they then detailed for the celebrated #45M?

No, but I was thinking a coin would be more likely than a holed medal.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's really 5 million. 40 million were the same coins, cracked out & re-submitted. :p

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file