Home Sports Talk
Options

Pathetic!

coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 4, 2020 4:51AM in Sports Talk

Texas high school football player attacks referee after being ejected from game, taken away by police.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/texas-hs-football-player-bodyslams-referee-after-being-ejected-from-game-040318666.html

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its Texas ! the ref should lie quietly on the ground and submit meekly

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,191 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was insane. Wow.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats crazy. I hope that particular student athlete never has the privilege of suiting up for his high school ever again.

Sometimes you have to make a stand and draw a line in the sand. attacking officials is one of those lines.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to The Monitor, Duron was also suspended during the 2019-20 soccer season because of a similar incident during a match.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2020 9:28AM

If I were that boy's daddy, I think it would be just about time to teach the little punk a lesson in manners.

"Come over here soccer boy, papa is going to teach you some respect for elders"....

• Options

Star athlete in track, wrestling. All state etc. Apparently they don’t test for roids in high school. He should never play organization sports again.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

That kid is ANGRY. Usually I don’t think kids need much attention for fighting or whatever since it’s kids being kids but this type of thing is an exception, total lack of respect for authority and adults. That’s a major problem

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2020 11:26AM

@doubledragon said:
    If I were that boy's daddy, ...

"Daddy?". ......I seriously doubt there is one.

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@doubledragon said:
    If I were that boy's daddy, ...

"Daddy?". ......I seriously doubt there is one.

Very good point

• Options

Call me old but this is the direct results of participation trophies, never experiencing losing and never being told no and probably never having your a$$ beat.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have this kid spend a month living under the care and supervision of ten of the biggest, baddest, demanding and toughest Marine drill Sargents.

Have him go through boot camp training in order to give him some real life experience and show him that there are consequences to one's actions and there are minimum standards of conduct that must be adhered to.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Roid rage

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should be arrested

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here in Texas I heard a snippet of a sports radio conversation about this today, and they mentioned he had done something somewhat similar .......maybe last year? during soccer?

• Options

Local news just said he's being charged, didn't catch all the specifics.

• Options

According to The Monitor, Duron was charged with Class A assault on Friday morning following an arraignment at the Edinburg Municipal Court. A cash surety bound in the amount of $10,000 has been set for Duron.

In addition, the Edinburg CISD announced Friday that Edinburg is no longer eligible for postseason play as a result of the incident.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    Call me old but this is the direct results of participation trophies, never experiencing losing and never being told no and probably never having your a$$ beat.

True story.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

kid is on a fast track to the penitentiary

and the school district actually did that team a favor by removing them from the playoffs. @thisistheshow can attest to this -- schools from the valley have a less-than-zero chance of winning a state title here in Texas. once that team went far enough to be pitted against a school from either the San Antonio or Austin areas, they'd be taken behind a woodshed and beaten to a bloody pulp

huge disparity in talent

• Options

I remember when it was always Converse Judson, Plano and Odessa Permian were the power houses. Haven’t followed it for years. Marshall, Texas won it in 1990 and the star RB was Odell Beckham, father of OBJ. Only reason I remember is because I arrived in Texas in 87 and was blown away by the furor of HS football here.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2020 6:12AM

This thread makes me miss my days of going to Friday night high school football games. The concession stands, the sound of the band playing, the smell of grass from the field, the school janitor taking a leak behind the bushes, man I miss those days.

• Options

Texas HS football is on a whole other level.
    Friday night lights.
    It's definitely intense.

• Options
    edited December 5, 2020 9:31AM

@2dueces said:
    I remember when it was always Converse Judson, Plano and Odessa Permian were the power houses. Haven’t followed it for years. Marshall, Texas won it in 1990 and the star RB was Odell Beckham, father of OBJ. Only reason I remember is because I arrived in Texas in 87 and was blown away by the furor of HS football here.

had no idea you lived (live?) here. but anyone armed with that info either does or has lol

would highly recommend Friday Night Lights for anyone who would like a great football read. one of my college roommates played on that Permian team and had some unforgettable stories to tell. i grew up in Abilene and we have been in Odessa Permian's district for the better part of my life (occasionally the boundaries change and we go east and play greater Fort Worth schools.) anywho, our football team was so pathetic my senior year ('86) that Permian rolled into town and bludgeoned us to the tune of 63-7. but here's the kicker: we didn't make a first down the entire game. our touch was a scoop and score by the defense.

but we got the last laugh with ol' Odessa, as my alma mater went on a formidable 15-year stretch, culminating in a state title at the highest level back in 2009. that year we ended up ranked #2 in the nation behind Don Bosco of New Jersey.

but as i type this today, there is next to no chance of my high school ever replicating that feat as long as we reside in class 6A. it will require a drop in classification. how can a smaller city compete with a burgeoning suburb of Dallas like Allen (where Kyler Murray played) that has an enrollment almost 3 times larger?

cities like Dallas, Houston and Austin and their burbs are becoming so densely populated that any school outside of those areas that does happen to win will definitely be an anomaly. teams like Allen, Southlake Carroll, DeSoto, Austin Westlake, Lake Travis, Galena Park North Shore, and Katy go deep every......single......year

• Options

Still live in Texas. High School football where I was from was ho hum couple hundred fans in a wooden bleachers 40 years old track field, tire repair and hair salon. I came to Marshall and drove by a 20,000 seat stadium and asked what college plays there? Oh that’s our high school stadium. The town literally rolled up the streets when they were making their run for 5A state. Boy what a culture shock. Rivalries? Longview vs Marshall. They literally talked about the game all year. Wow

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    Still live in Texas. High School football where I was from was ho hum couple hundred fans in a wooden bleachers 40 years old track field, tire repair and hair salon. I came to Marshall and drove by a 20,000 seat stadium and asked what college plays there? Oh that’s our high school stadium. The town literally rolled up the streets when they were making their run for 5A state. Boy what a culture shock. Rivalries? Longview vs Marshall. They literally talked about the game all year. Wow

I had no idea that you were also here in Texas.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

a simple solution for a complicated problem: barred from any Texas HS sports forever, Civil and Criminal Courts run him through the system for whatever charges there are and then they get that young man into somewhere to try to save him.

• Options
    edited December 7, 2020 10:23AM

@keets said:
    a simple solution for a complicated problem: barred from any Texas HS sports forever,

Makes sense to me.

@keets said:
    Civil and Criminal Courts run him through the system for whatever charges there are and then they get that young man into somewhere to try to save him.

In my opinion, easier said than done unfortunately and fraught with hiccups.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

Just amazing that he had done almost the same thing during the soccer season and was still allowed to participate in another team sport. Somehow, I don't think that would be tolerated here, although star athletes get preferential treatment.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

Marshall for the first 6 years. Longview for one and 25 here in Texarkana.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

Marshall for the first 6 years. Longview for one and 25 here in Texarkana.

I'm about 200 miles southwest of you, right under Fort Worth.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    This thread makes me miss my days of going to Friday night high school football games. The concession stands, the sound of the band playing, the smell of grass from the field, the school janitor taking a leak behind the bushes, man I miss those days.

I remember my Al Bundy playing days. Going to an away game in a school bus and mooned the cars behind us. One of those cars had our game referees.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2020 4:35PM

@2dueces said:

When I visited the DFW area in 2012, my friend and I wanted to go see the high school with the $60m stadium that had just been built*. Didn't have time but we saw one on our way to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. The town was like 20 or 22,000 people total. Their stadium seated 30,000. And they were building a new one! That building was awesome, easily on par with Eastern Washington University not far from my home here in Spokane. We met a security guard sitting in a booth at the parking lot to the school (poor guy - in a metal booth in late August in Ft Worth!) We asked if we could look around and the guy apologized - because he couldn't show us everything he wanted. Dude walked us around all over except on the field and was awesome.

• that one is no longer the most expensive in Texas. In fact, it's now 4th.
  • Options

https://www.cbssports.com/general/news/georgia-youth-football-coach-banned-for-life-after-assaulting-player-lebron-james-speaks-out-on-incident/amp/. This is more than pathetic, it’s outright ridiculous. If I was this kids father that Coach would be looking for his teeth. Unbelievable

• Options

@perkdog said:
    https://www.cbssports.com/general/news/georgia-youth-football-coach-banned-for-life-after-assaulting-player-lebron-james-speaks-out-on-incident/amp/. This is more than pathetic, it’s outright ridiculous. If I was this kids father that Coach would be looking for his teeth. Unbelievable

that dude was a counselor with the sheriff's office

and read his apology -- he states that he should not have disciplined him in public and should've waited "[until] he got back".............implying that he would've blasted that kid in the head multiple times when no one was watching

you can't make this stuff up

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@perkdog said:

that dude was a counselor with the sheriff's office

and read his apology -- he states that he should not have disciplined him in public and should've waited "[until] he got back".............implying that he would've blasted that kid in the head multiple times when no one was watching

you can't make this stuff up

Just gross

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've run a youth lacrosse club in my area for about eight years. While I can say I've never seen anything quite as drastic as that, I will go to my grave with the belief that adults are the worst part of youth sports. I see stuff that blows my mind on a pretty regular basis.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

@AFLfan said:
    I've run a youth lacrosse club in my area for about eight years. While I can say I've never seen anything quite as drastic as that, I will go to my grave with the belief that adults are the worst part of youth sports. I see stuff that blows my mind on a pretty regular basis.

My best friend is the athletic director of a fairly large high school in Massachusetts and your 100% correct that the parents are the biggest issue, he has had to get parents restrained before going after reff’s, other parents, students. It’s absolutely ridiculous some the stuff he has to deal with, some of the worst Steve girls sports believe it or not. Police involvement at games is pretty consistent