Home U.S. Coin Forum

1943 War Nickel

Hi,
This nickel was a recent attic find in the UK. Is it me or is it a bit different to the average Jefferson nickel?
Many thanks

Comments

• AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

It contains a small amount of silver.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

40% silver, which is denoted by the mint mark over Monticello.

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

This type was struck during WWII. Nickel was needed for the war effort, so the composition was changed.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the current price of silver, the coin is worth approximately $1.35.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:

35%

• @MFeld said:

Yes. I know that. Thanks anyway

• @MasonG said:
    This type was struck during WWII. Nickel was needed for the war effort, so the composition was changed.

Thanks Mason :)

• @erwindoc said:

Thanks Erwindoc :)

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's pics a little easier to look at. If you mean the P mintmark, it is one of the war years nickels made with silver from 1942 P type 2 thru 1945 S. If you are looking at something else, say what it is.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2020 7:03PM

Although it's a little worn, I like the color on it. Too bad for that little hunk taken out of the Obv and what looks like a little punch mark on Monticello.

@Diamond70 said:

@MFeld said:

Then I'm a little confused as to what you were asking.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:

35% silver. those jefferson nickels with huge mint marks over monticello are 35% nickels, also known as war nickels or war nicks.

that could be a planchet flaw on jefferson's collar or maybe some metal delaminated from the rest and fell off.

the color is just some weird color. I'm not sure why it's that way but it doesn't seem to be anything special about the color.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a common war nickel, tarnished from storage, and a bit dinged from commerce. Cheers, RickO

• @jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@MFeld said:

I thought it would be obvious that I wasn't asking how much it was worth. Apparently not :D

• @jesbroken said:
    Here's pics a little easier to look at. If you mean the P mintmark, it is one of the war years nickels made with silver from 1942 P type 2 thru 1945 S. If you are looking at something else, say what it is.
    Jim

Thanks Jes, I had problems on my tablet rotating the pictures.
    I think that covers everything actually. Thank you for the information.

• @MsMorrisine said:

@erwindoc said:

35% silver. those jefferson nickels with huge mint marks over monticello are 35% nickels, also known as war nickels or war nicks.

that could be a planchet flaw on jefferson's collar or maybe some metal delaminated from the rest and fell off.

the color is just some weird color. I'm not sure why it's that way but it doesn't seem to be anything special about the color.

Thanks MsMorrisine, I was also wondering about the cause of the missing material on Jefferson's collar. Under the microscope it seems more like an indentation but it's difficult to discern whether it would have been a minting related issue or if it happened in circulation. Maybe it happened in combat, who knows.

Thanks again

• @bsshog40 said:
    Although it's a little worn, I like the color on it. Too bad for that little hunk taken out of the Obv and what looks like a little punch mark on Monticello.

Thanks Bsshog, Much appreciated. I suppose the missing hunk adds character...every cloud has a silver lining and all that :D

Thanks again

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Diamond70 said:

Under the microscope it seems more like an indentation but it's difficult to discern whether it would have been a minting related issue ...

that would be a deep, but unworthy of extra value, strike through if it is that

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find! I like the toning.

• CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:

35% silver..... So ashamed of you.

• Diamond70Diamond70 Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited December 3, 2020 1:59PM

@MsMorrisine said:

@Diamond70 said:

Under the microscope it seems more like an indentation but it's difficult to discern whether it would have been a minting related issue ...

that would be a deep, but unworthy of extra value, strike through if it is that

Thanks Ms, I wasn't equating it to monetary value as such, it's historical value is far more interesting :)

• @Jimnight said:
    Nice find! I like the toning.

Thanks Jim, Yes, gorgeous isn't it!

• @jesbroken said:
    Jim

What did you use to crop the background in the photos Jes? Photoshop? Nice Job!

• This content has been removed.
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Little planchet flaw adds character. Neat coin. I'd be a buyer for a type album.

edited December 4, 2020 5:44AM

@Diamond70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@MFeld said:

I thought it would be obvious that I wasn't asking how much it was worth. Apparently not :D

Well, if you know what it is worth, you must know what it is. So, we are left with...guessing that the divot on the collar strikes you as odd?

• Diamond70Diamond70 Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited December 4, 2020 10:52AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@MFeld said:

Well, if you know what it is worth, you must know what it is. So, we are left with...guessing that the divot on the collar strikes you as odd

It's fascinating how you juxtapose that if I know what it is worth, then I must know everything else that there is to know about the coin. Thank you for forging that new paradigm of thought that only specially 'lightened people understand! Could you tell me the connection between bowling and laundry too? :D

• @abcde12345 said:
    Little planchet flaw adds character. Neat coin. I'd be a buyer for a type album.

Thanks Abcde, Very well said. it does indeed add character. I would be more than happy to send this GI back home, how does $20 with tracked postage from the UK sound?

@Diamond70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@MFeld said:

Well, if you know what it is worth, you must know what it is. So, we are left with...guessing that the divot on the collar strikes you as odd

It's fascinating how you juxtapose that if I know what it is worth, then I must know everything else that there is to know about the coin. Thank you for forging that new paradigm of thought that only specially 'lightened people understand! Could you tell me the connection between bowling and laundry too? :D

Your initial post/question was “This nickel was a recent attic find in the UK. Is it me or is it a bit different to the average Jefferson nickel?”

Hopefully, you can easily understand why some of us mentioned that the coin contains silver and has more value than “the average Jefferson nickel”. If you had something specific in mind when you posted and had asked, you might have been spared some of annoyance and frustration you appear to have endured.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@Diamond70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@MFeld said:

The point is that if you throw up a coin without a specific question, we are left guessing as to what you think you are seeing. So when @MFeld tells you it is worth "approximately $1.35" your response "Yes. I know that. Thanks anyway." seems rather rude. How was he to know what you were specifically asking.

And, in the case of coin valuations, it is not a new paradigm of thought. You could not possibly value a coin unless you knew what it is, including any error or variety. You see, a 1937-D Buffalo nickel with a polished off leg is not valued the same as a 1937-D Buffalo nickel with all 4 legs intact. In the case of a 1943-P war nickel, a routine worn nickel is worth $1.35 in silver, but a 1943/43 variety is worth considerably more and even a recognized error (off-center strike etc.) would have a different valuation. And even a VG 1943-P nickel is valued differently than an UNC 1943-P nickel.

So, you can keep "LOL"ing everyone and acting like we're a bunch of idiots because we can't read your mind OR you could consider that your OP was phrased in an inexact way that made it very hard for anyone to know what you wanted to know.

@Diamond70 said:

@abcde12345 said:

Thanks Abcde, Very well said. it does indeed add character. I would be more than happy to send this GI back home, how does $20 with tracked postage from the UK sound?

Like you're a troll having a little fun.

• @jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@MFeld said:

The point is that if you throw up a coin without a specific question, we are left guessing as to what you think you are seeing. So when @MFeld tells you it is worth "approximately $1.35" your response "Yes. I know that. Thanks anyway." seems rather rude. How was he to know what you were specifically asking.

And, in the case of coin valuations, it is not a new paradigm of thought. You could not possibly value a coin unless you knew what it is, including any error or variety. You see, a 1937-D Buffalo nickel with a polished off leg is not valued the same as a 1937-D Buffalo nickel with all 4 legs intact. In the case of a 1943-P war nickel, a routine worn nickel is worth $1.35 in silver, but a 1943/43 variety is worth considerably more and even a recognized error (off-center strike etc.) would have a different valuation. And even a VG 1943-P nickel is valued differently than an UNC 1943-P nickel.

So, you can keep "LOL"ing everyone and acting like we're a bunch of idiots because we can't read your mind OR you could consider that your OP was phrased in an inexact way that made it very hard for anyone to know what you wanted to know.

Lol, It looks like I rattled your cage. I'm not here to offend anyone, I just don't care for silly comments. Sorry, but I have to ignore you now.

• @MFeld said:

@Diamond70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@MFeld said:

Your initial post/question was “This nickel was a recent attic find in the UK. Is it me or is it a bit different to the average Jefferson nickel?”

Hopefully, you can easily understand why some of us mentioned that the coin contains silver and has more value than “the average Jefferson nickel”. If you had something specific in mind when you posted and had asked, you might have been spared some of annoyance and frustration you appear to have endured.

Out maneuvered again! lol

@Diamond70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@MFeld said:

Lol, It looks like I rattled your cage. I'm not here to offend anyone, I just don't care for silly comments. Sorry, but I have to ignore you now.

I'm not rattled at all. Thank you for ignoring me. You have revealed yourself for what you are.

• @jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@MFeld said:

I'm not rattled at all. Thank you for ignoring me. You have revealed yourself for what you are.

You have exposed me for the scoundrel that I am! :D

@jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@MFeld said:

You shouldn’t have thanked him, as he didn’t do what he said he’d do.

• @MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@MFeld said:

You shouldn’t have thanked him, as he didn’t do what he said he’d do.

Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

• @jmlanzaf said:

@Diamond70 said:

@abcde12345 said:

Like you're a troll having a little fun.

That's actually funny, being accused of what it is Pinky and Perky are doing :D
    Okay playtime is over now. Run along children.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2020 12:57PM

Love your coin! It definitely has character,as well as, color. When I first seen your Wartime Jefferson, rightaway it reminded me of my Wartime Jefferson. Also, with tons of character and color. Beaten up but much character to make up for the condition. Strange, my Wartime has a similar red liken to your Jefferson. Mine is a 1943 S. I love these old silver Wartime Jefferson's. Many have that character we coin collectors love. Esp. In the variety aspect. Also, with a vast amount of die cracks and lamination appearances. Thanks for showing us your Wartime. Here is my red guy. Lol.- joey :)

Another thing, on your coin, check to see if your coin has the "split serif" on the "S" in Trust. Usually, the '43's have that.

https://images.app.goo.gl/Y1Hj8kgF2fGCm9Bs6

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

The amazing thing about that nickel is that it isn't corroded from decades of meat boiling going on downstairs.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@clarkbar04 said:
    The amazing thing about that nickel is that it isn't corroded from decades of meat boiling going on downstairs.

I am at a total loss to understand this post...
    LOL...OL

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck

@ECHOES said:

@clarkbar04 said:

I am at a total loss to understand this post...
    LOL...OL

English cuisine joke

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file