Home Precious Metals
Options

Native Monetary Metals

Does anyone here collect or appreciate the monetary metals in their native forms? I have a small geological collection that contains copper, silver and gold. I have to say the rose red luster of copper rivals the rich yellow of gold in its own unique way.

The Hobby of Kings... and All of Us!

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't, and I'm going to be honest and say that I never really thought about it like that.

If you want to extrapolate on that more in this thread.........

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some gold nuggets I have found... No raw copper or silver... Years ago I collected quartz crystals. There was a place below a cliff, by a creek, where natural crystals could be found. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    I have some gold nuggets I have found... No raw copper or silver... Years ago I collected quartz crystals. There was a place below a cliff, by a creek, where natural crystals could be found. Cheers, RickO

Sounds like a nice place.....or at a minimum, atleast a nice place to find natural crystals.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a picture of the cliff and dam.... The upper left quadrant is the cliff, and crystals could be found below it. Cheers, RickO

• Options

That's beautiful @ricko

• Options

That is a nice spot!! That's really cool that you were able to find your own specimens too; most if not all the stuff I have was gained through purchases. Growing up as a kid I used to collect different rocks and minerals, ive come full circle and started adding the Metals in. I look at this aspect of metals as more of a hobby than a way to save/hedge. There's just something primordial and simultaneously novel about it that peaks my collector itch.

The Hobby of Kings... and All of Us!

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

there are a few posters here that have panned. perhaps they'll venture in.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    TPGSTPGS Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

I love watching Gold Rush and Gold Rush White Water TV shows.